Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 391
  1. #101
    Knotty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denville, NJ, USA
    Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Posts
    4,448
    Images
    227
    My goal was to duplicate the lay of a Warbonnet hammock, so all I do is gather the material up using a small cord in the end channel. It just bunches up evenly as you pull. End result is a very comfortable lay but the sides are a little floppy. Sometimes I add a footbox triangle to one side to keep my quilts from falling out. The footbox triangle shortens the side of the hammock but does not affect the lay.
    Last edited by Knotty; 11-30-2010 at 00:42.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

  2. #102
    Senior Member pndwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Heart of Dixie
    Hammock
    S
    Tarp
    S
    Insulation
    Not Enough
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Posts
    237
    If you give the ends a convex cut before sewing channel could the floppy sides be solved? Or just pull more side material through the whipping?
    Theres nothing like danglin in dixie!!!!

    Murphy's Law: When one toilet breaks they all break.....its all a buncha crap.

    Im an educated idiot. The more I learn the less I know.

  3. #103
    Knotty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denville, NJ, USA
    Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Posts
    4,448
    Images
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by pndwind View Post
    If you give the ends a convex cut before sewing channel could the floppy sides be solved? Or just pull more side material through the whipping?
    Yes, the convex cut should work, just haven't tried it yet. I was trying to avoid the "bathtub" effect.

    No "whipping" with this approach, so you can't just pull more side material thru.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

  4. #104
    bloomgorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Detroit, Mi
    Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    Posts
    1,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Yes, the convex cut should work, just haven't tried it yet. I was trying to avoid the "bathtub" effect.

    No "whipping" with this approach, so you can't just pull more side material thru.
    i'm not sure i understand this....anyone got any photo's or can explain it further?

  5. #105
    Knotty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denville, NJ, USA
    Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Posts
    4,448
    Images
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by bloomgorge View Post
    i'm not sure i understand this....anyone got any photo's or can explain it further?
    Just watch the video in post #1 of this thread.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

  6. #106
    JC Haywire kc7fys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY 4-Season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings/WBB
    Posts
    214
    Images
    7
    Whellp... looks like my first outing. A sort of "Barbie Hammock," went fairly well. 62" sqaure of WM ripstop, and it's far too small for my son. Long after I had fashioned this ill-conceived dwarf, I noted the 2~3 feet on each end rule. Who cares, I had fun, and this will be a fun addition to his room for reading Seuss and stuff. So I figure a 9-footer will last him a couple years until he passes it down to his sister. Thanks for the (long, fragmented) tutorial. I was able to get my feet wet and whet my appetite for more hammockry.


    Correction: 62" by 31". I just folded it in half--FAR too small, but it was a beginning.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #107
    Senior Member cosmicmiami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    129
    Images
    4
    The other day I was lounging around in my DIY made with these instructions. The angle of the sun was such that if I layed feet-right, head-left, I was being shaded. So I rotated counter clockwise to a feet-left, head-right position to gather up some sun and warmth. To my surprise, the lay seemed much different. In fact, more comfortable.

    After switching back and forth several times, I was convinced there was a different lay.

    Got out of the hammock and flipped it over. Got in and realized now that the feet-right, head-left position was now more comfortable.

    Now, am I crazy? Am I somehow convincing myself there is a difference? I guess I need to deconstruct the gathered ends now to see the orientation of the ends.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
    ~Redd Foxx

    "In wildness is the preservation of the world."
    -Henry David Thoreau

  8. #108
    New Member dbs1crew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    Building my own
    Posts
    7
    Just finished making this. Amazing instructional and hammock! Thanks and if you have anymore DIYs let me know!

  9. #109
    Knotty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denville, NJ, USA
    Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Posts
    4,448
    Images
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmicmiami View Post
    The other day I was lounging around in my DIY made with these instructions. The angle of the sun was such that if I layed feet-right, head-left, I was being shaded. So I rotated counter clockwise to a feet-left, head-right position to gather up some sun and warmth. To my surprise, the lay seemed much different. In fact, more comfortable.

    After switching back and forth several times, I was convinced there was a different lay.

    Got out of the hammock and flipped it over. Got in and realized now that the feet-right, head-left position was now more comfortable.

    Now, am I crazy? Am I somehow convincing myself there is a difference? I guess I need to deconstruct the gathered ends now to see the orientation of the ends.
    When I first started using my DIY gathered end laying on one diagonal vs. the other felt very different. Over time I realized it was just that one lay was more familiar than the other. I now use head right/feet left most of the time. Maybe that's what's happening with you?

    Quote Originally Posted by dbs1crew View Post
    Just finished making this. Amazing instructional and hammock! Thanks and if you have anymore DIYs let me know!
    Thanks. At the moment this is my only DIY. Have fun with your new hammock.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

  10. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    hershey, PA
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Posts
    1,190
    Images
    51
    wow man how have i never seen this thread!!!

    now, where to find 4 yards of black 1.5 ripstop...

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •