Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Duo-Hammock

  1. #1
    Senior Member TDunc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Hammock
    DIY - Depends on time of year.
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Posts
    253
    Images
    9

    Lightbulb Duo-Hammock

    OK, here we go!

    I need to hear some input from you married couple/significant other couples/close friends, ETC., (or anyone else) that have tought about or tried to make a double hammock but with the attributes of a single hammock.

    The thought was given to me this weekend when my wife stole my newest DIY and forced me back to my back-up. She then said to make us a double hammock like the one she just stole.

    Problem - I don't like the idea of sliding to the middle that a conventional double would give.

    First thought solution - take two singles and sew them together with a small spreader bar in the ends for some minimal seperation. Hence, you can still be close but have the feeling of being in your own hammock.

    What do you think?

    CLARIFICATION - not intended to be a discussion on what may or may not happen IN the hammock. My intention is to discuss a way that a couple could be close, for sleeping, not to figure out a way to go bouncy bouncy. I apologize if my intentions seemed otherwise.
    Last edited by TDunc; 07-23-2007 at 12:05. Reason: clarification

  2. #2
    Senior Member FanaticFringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lawrenceville, Ga
    Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Posts
    2,424
    Images
    34
    I'm thinking of getting one of these just for myself. I'm curious as to just how much more comfortable I might be with the extra 20 inches of width over my 60" wide hammock.
    http://www.shop.treklightonline.com/...8&categoryId=2
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

  3. #3
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,628
    Images
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by 4D's View Post
    OK, here we go!

    I need to hear some input from you married couple/significant other couples/close friends, ETC., (or anyone else) that have tought about or tried to make a double hammock but with the attributes of a single hammock.

    The thought was given to me this weekend when my wife stole my newest DIY and forced me back to my back-up. She then said to make us a double hammock like the one she just stole.

    Problem - I don't like the idea of sliding to the middle that a conventional double would give.

    First thought solution - take two singles and sew them together with a small spreader bar in the ends for some minimal seperation. Hence, you can still be close but have the feeling of being in your own hammock.

    What do you think?
    here's an easy idea

    Grizz

  4. #4
    Senior Member TDunc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Hammock
    DIY - Depends on time of year.
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Posts
    253
    Images
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    here's an easy idea

    Grizz

    Yep, I agree. Problems I see with this:

    1) Taking the stand with you. Weight and size
    2) Finding trees that match the seperation that you get with the stand.

    I am thinking that if we use a spreader then we could hang off of the same tree. The spreader going between the ends of the two hammocks.

    I am planning on using just one bug net. Hammocks sewn together., with the walls comming up between us to keep us in our respective spaces. Not two seperate setups. (to trying to save weight a little)

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Honduras
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Posts
    912
    Images
    14
    Yeah, I was a bit discouraged when I noted that both couples that were hanging at the hang-out were in separate hammocks. Close, but separate. That prompted my later post about the worries about going bouncy-bouncy-thud, among other issues to deal with in couple hanging.

    It's not an issue in my life (sigh), but hope springs eternal. However, at this point a hammock seems like a solo endeavor. A shame, because conceptually, it seems like it would be a romantic thing to do.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

  6. #6
    Senior Member TDunc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Hammock
    DIY - Depends on time of year.
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Posts
    253
    Images
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post
    .... It's not an issue in my life (sigh), but hope springs eternal.
    There is a plan! -

    With faith there is a plan - with a plan there is action! Have faith!
    Phil 4:4-7

  7. #7
    slowhike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing & rings
    Posts
    10,596
    Images
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by 4D's View Post
    There is a plan! -

    With faith there is a plan - with a plan there is action! Have faith!
    Phil 4:4-7
    good plan to follow 4d's. when the time's right for a man & woman to get fully intimate, i just don't know that a hammock is going to be the best place<g>.
    i know this has been talked about from time to time & so far best long term plan for a couple to sleep up against each other is in two hammocks, side by side, weather their connected or not.
    seams that each person just about has to be supported individually, other wise, they will be forced into the same space at the center of the hammock all night.
    that might sound romantic at first for some folks, but i think you'll be hard pressed (hard pressed... get it? ) to find that suitable for long. every time one person moves, so does the other.
    but jeff & others have talked about sewing two hammocks together & using either a large tree at the head end, or a spreader bar to keep the two from pressing together so hard.
    i have an idea in my head about two connected hammocks that have a separate adjustable strap that can tighten the center connections of the two hammocks, or lower the center for cuddling. the adjustment strap(s) would probably go higher on the trees than the main supports for the hammocks.
    but i'll let yall work on that since i ain't got nobody to be cuddling with.
    i just hope you'll see fit to keep it pretty clean as you talk about it.
    i appreciate that even though we have a wide range of personal belief systems in this group, we do a pretty good job of respecting each other.
    thanks. ...tim
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

  8. #8
    Senior Member Cannibal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Posts
    13,919
    Images
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post
    It's not an issue in my life (sigh), but hope springs eternal. However, at this point a hammock seems like a solo endeavor. A shame, because conceptually, it seems like it would be a romantic thing to do.
    I bet NEO would be happy to test his Claytor.

    I've been giving this concept a lot of thought lately. Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat as Shadowmoss, but my younger brother is very interested in hammock "activities".

    Could you not just make a ridiculously wide hammock and sleep (or whatever) with your head and feet on the long sides instead of the ends? I've seen several pics on various hammock sales sites that show families in huge hammocks that are all positioned in this manner. The only issue is the swing effect that would be generated by "activities".

    However, for sleeping it looks like it would reduce the sliding to the middle problem. It seems that they get a fairly flat surface when positioned in the hammock this way. Does anybody have one of those huge hammocks?

  9. #9
    Senior Member TDunc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Hammock
    DIY - Depends on time of year.
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Posts
    253
    Images
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    ....seams that each person just about has to be supported individually, other wise, they will be forced into the same space at the center of the hammock all night.
    I think the side seams would keep this from happening anyway.


    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    ....i have an idea in my head about two connected hammocks that have a separate adjustable strap that can tighten the center connections of the two hammocks, or lower the center for cuddling. the adjustment strap(s) would probably go higher on the trees than the main supports for the hammocks.
    I would like to hear more.

    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    ....i just hope you'll see fit to keep it pretty clean as you talk about it.
    i appreciate that even though we have a wide range of personal belief systems in this group, we do a pretty good job of respecting each other.
    thanks. ...tim
    My intentions were not to take this thread other than clean. IF it was taken any other way, I am sorry.

    I went back and clarified my original posting as to the intentions of this thread.

  10. #10
    slowhike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing &amp; rings
    Posts
    10,596
    Images
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by 4D's View Post
    .
    My intentions were not to take this thread other than clean. IF it was taken any other way, I am sorry.

    I went back and clarified my original posting as to the intentions of this thread.
    no, not at all my friend. i just know that some of our hammocking friends could get a little carried away on these subjects sometimes
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •