Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Hey Knotty

The tarp looks awesome!
    I have a quick question...

In steps 3, why cut the sides to the shape you did?
    Why not leave the sides flat?

I have a a tarp in the works for my next DIY hammock and will be soaking it in the mineral spirits and silicone tomorrow and before I sew it all together (after I H2o-proof it) I would like to know the benefits to having the curved sides verses the flat sides. It seems to be a waste of material... or am I missing something?

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    I seal both top and bottom of new diy stuff, just to be sure. I figure all those needle holes need a good seal. I got one the basement drying right now. I do the inside seam, then flip one side over, (I got it strung up tight on the ridge ties), and coat the outside ridge and seams/hems. YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by TOB9595 View Post
    Knotty, the grossgrain you used in the ridgeline seam....was it poly?

I, as a flexible rule, seal the inside and outside of seams...just an OLD habit
    Tom
    Actually I suspected there might be a problem with a top seal since the folded back felled seam has a lip on one side where it was hard to get the Silnet into.

I don't know the answer to the grosgrain ribbon question. It's just the standard grosgrain that Joann Fabric sells.

Quote Originally Posted by BaseKampChef View Post
    Hey Knotty

The tarp looks awesome!
    I have a quick question...

In steps 3, why cut the sides to the shape you did?
    Why not leave the sides flat?

I have a a tarp in the works for my next DIY hammock and will be soaking it in the mineral spirits and silicone tomorrow and before I sew it all together (after I H2o-proof it) I would like to know the benefits to having the curved sides verses the flat sides. It seems to be a waste of material... or am I missing something?
    It's called a catenary cut or cat cut for short. The curve helps to better spread the stress at the tie outs so there are fewer wrinkles in the tarp. I think my next tarp will be a straight cut, just so I can compare the two and see if it was worth the extra work.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Knotty:
    I want to tell you that I like the tarp and congrats on getting the DIY sil to work for you. I have a question for you about he hammock stand tube brackets. Exactly where did you get them? I have built a 2X4 stand and it is not as ridgid as I want it to be. I am looking to build a "beefier" stand and these look to be my best hope. Any info will be appreciated!!!!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    G-Bird II
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    AHE TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoop dutch!
    Images
    BKC, your sil dipping before you sew?? I would think it better to dip after sewing to seal everything. /and less sticky needles??
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    Knotty:
    I want to tell you that I like the tarp and congrats on getting the DIY sil to work for you. I have a question for you about he hammock stand tube brackets. Exactly where did you get them? I have built a 2X4 stand and it is not as ridgid as I want it to be. I am looking to build a "beefier" stand and these look to be my best hope. Any info will be appreciated!!!!!!!
    The brackets came from www.hammocks.com. A bunch of us ordered them when they went on a special sale. I think it was $20 and free shipping. Previously the site had been selling them from like $120 + shipping. Unfortunately I don't think they have them anymore.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post

It's called a catenary cut or cat cut for short. The curve helps to better spread the stress at the tie outs so there are fewer wrinkles in the tarp. I think my next tarp will be a straight cut, just so I can compare the two and see if it was worth the extra work.

Okay... I have alwayse kept them straight and experienced no issues.
    Plus I would have thought that you would loose coverage at the bottom and allow cold air BURRRR to slip under the edges.

Thanks for the info.