Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    pitching a tarp right-side up vs. upside down shouldn't change the stresses it's under.

  2. #12
    Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG Down
    Suspension
    Dynaglide UCR's
    Posts
    5,247
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    I hang mine with grommets and rolled seam facing up. Yes the tarp appears upside down but it keeps me dry either way. I just prefer to not have the peak of the tarp twisted on the end.

    My Speer 8X10 rectangle kit version has the attachement of the grommet in line with the ridge and not to the side as is on the cat version. It can be set up either way and the pull out is flat.
    Hobbit,
    Thanks, do you attach your line to the grommet or the grosgrain? I still have to seam seal the rolled seam for a permanent waterproofing, thats what I was thinking about doing (hang it inside out) but I wanted to hear from others (like you) who have this tarp and what they have done. When you hung yours with the grommets and seam down did you find that it put some undue stress on the stitching from the way it pulled?

    CB

  3. #13
    Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG Down
    Suspension
    Dynaglide UCR's
    Posts
    5,247
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    pitching a tarp right-side up vs. upside down shouldn't change the stresses it's under.
    Warbonnetguy,
    Even when looking at the pics you feel that it wouldn't? You know more than I about this, I just thought by the way it looked that one it just didn't look right, and two that the way that it was starting to buckle and turn up that it was not putting an even amount (relatively speaking) pressure on the tie out. I also wasn't sure as to weather turning it inside out so to speak would cause any other issues.

    CB

  4. #14
    Whoooo Buddy)))) Shug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Hammock
    DIY GreenBeanHammock
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Frankenquilt/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    14,488
    Images
    62
    I would have the grosgain and grommet the way you have it in the first picture ..... no water having a chance to run in and it just looks right.
    In the second picture I could see water getting in. Beware!
    Shug
    Whoooo Buddy)))) I Love Onions, Grits, Greens, Livermush, NC Style BBQ, Potted Meat, Anchovies, 'Naner Puddin", Peanut Butter Pie, Red Velvet Cake and Cocoa and Straaaaaawwwwberrrry Milk and Coffee Crisps....
    I Hope Heaven has a Bakery!!!!



    Shug's YouTube Videos

    Hammock How-To Videos ..... Essentials For Noobs

    Shug and Friends Jammin'

  5. #15
    Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG Down
    Suspension
    Dynaglide UCR's
    Posts
    5,247
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I would have the grosgain and grommet the way you have it in the first picture ..... no water having a chance to run in and it just looks right.
    In the second picture I could see water getting in. Beware!
    Shug
    Shug,
    Yea I think thats what I am going to end up doing, quick question- what are the dimensions of your DIY small tarp? I have been doing some looking to compare the Speer 8x10 cat tarp that I got and by comparison the OES Standard tarp is about the same size as many others and I'm trying to decide on weather to go with another 8x10 or something else for my girlfriend for Spring/Summer/Fall weather. Also have you found that your small tarp provides enough bottom coverage to keep your UQ dry or do you add a undercover?

    Thanks,

    CB

  6. #16
    Whoooo Buddy)))) Shug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Hammock
    DIY GreenBeanHammock
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Frankenquilt/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    14,488
    Images
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    Shug,
    Yea I think thats what I am going to end up doing, quick question- what are the dimensions of your DIY small tarp? I have been doing some looking to compare the Speer 8x10 cat tarp that I got and by comparison the OES Standard tarp is about the same size as many others and I'm trying to decide on weather to go with another 8x10 or something else for my girlfriend for Spring/Summer/Fall weather. Also have you found that your small tarp provides enough bottom coverage to keep your UQ dry or do you add a undercover?

    Thanks,

    CB
    My small blackie is 11' ridgeline ... 6' across (3' on each side).
    Had it out last night and day before in the woods .... rainy, misty windy. Used my weathershield but mainly for wind deflection. The wind really steals heat. I would use it in foggy weather as well. Never really had rain splash ... urban myth thinks I.....
    The bottom coverage depends on the steepness of the pitch at a particular site and so on and so forth....
    You will never get just one answer out of me .... to many variables with tarp pitch in the piney woods.
    Shug
    Whoooo Buddy)))) I Love Onions, Grits, Greens, Livermush, NC Style BBQ, Potted Meat, Anchovies, 'Naner Puddin", Peanut Butter Pie, Red Velvet Cake and Cocoa and Straaaaaawwwwberrrry Milk and Coffee Crisps....
    I Hope Heaven has a Bakery!!!!



    Shug's YouTube Videos

    Hammock How-To Videos ..... Essentials For Noobs

    Shug and Friends Jammin'

  7. #17
    Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG Down
    Suspension
    Dynaglide UCR's
    Posts
    5,247
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    My small blackie is 11' ridgeline ... 6' across (3' on each side).
    Had it out last night and day before in the woods .... rainy, misty windy. Used my weathershield but mainly for wind deflection. The wind really steals heat. I would use it in foggy weather as well. Never really had rain splash ... urban myth thinks I.....
    The bottom coverage depends on the steepness of the pitch at a particular site and so on and so forth....
    You will never get just one answer out of me .... to many variables with tarp pitch in the piney woods.
    Shug


    Shug,
    Thankee!!!!! What are you using for a weather shield? I think I need to get me one of them!?!?!?

    CB

  8. #18
    Whoooo Buddy)))) Shug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Hammock
    DIY GreenBeanHammock
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Frankenquilt/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    14,488
    Images
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    Shug,
    Thankee!!!!! What are you using for a weather shield? I think I need to get me one of them!?!?!?

    CB
    DIY one .... ripstop 1.1.
    It is in my next video..........
    Simple project.
    Whoooo Buddy)))) I Love Onions, Grits, Greens, Livermush, NC Style BBQ, Potted Meat, Anchovies, 'Naner Puddin", Peanut Butter Pie, Red Velvet Cake and Cocoa and Straaaaaawwwwberrrry Milk and Coffee Crisps....
    I Hope Heaven has a Bakery!!!!



    Shug's YouTube Videos

    Hammock How-To Videos ..... Essentials For Noobs

    Shug and Friends Jammin'

  9. #19
    Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG Down
    Suspension
    Dynaglide UCR's
    Posts
    5,247
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    DIY one .... ripstop 1.1.
    It is in my next video..........
    Simple project.
    Shug,
    Excellent, thanks, is it with DWR or no, I don't have a sewing machine, so it would end up having to be done by hand! Thank you for the help! Can't wait to see the next vid installment, I've watched all so far and they really are great!!!!

    CB

  10. #20
    Whoooo Buddy)))) Shug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Hammock
    DIY GreenBeanHammock
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Frankenquilt/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    14,488
    Images
    62
    DWR ... yes indeed.
    Whoooo Buddy)))) I Love Onions, Grits, Greens, Livermush, NC Style BBQ, Potted Meat, Anchovies, 'Naner Puddin", Peanut Butter Pie, Red Velvet Cake and Cocoa and Straaaaaawwwwberrrry Milk and Coffee Crisps....
    I Hope Heaven has a Bakery!!!!



    Shug's YouTube Videos

    Hammock How-To Videos ..... Essentials For Noobs

    Shug and Friends Jammin'

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •