Hammock
    Clark NX-200 & Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    RX-200
    Insulation
    Shenandoah Long

Clark Users Help Me Decide What BB to Buy?

Currently contemplating purchasing a Blackbird as a second hammock and would appreciate some thoughts from Brandon, Clark Hammock users who have slept in the BB (Cavediver2, Fin, Raw), & any others with a word to say.

I currently have the Clark NX 200. Can't say I'm totaly comfortable and would prefer a flater lay as I hear the BB would provide as in this post.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=14351

I'm 6'4'' and weigh 210-220lbs.
    Good thead discusing the hammock & weight @ my weight.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=14916

I use my hammock mostly for touring with my bicycle. Weight is not as important as size (compactibility). Does anybody have photos of the hammock in a compressed state (maybe next to a pop can)? What is the size of each hammock in there compressed state?

I'll be keeping the Clark hammock for winter (love the weathershield) & friends. So, I would like my second hammock to be a smaller pack size then the Clark set up but of course very comfortable at the same time.

So which BlackBird do I get??? Howfar can I push the envelope & still be very very comfortable. Or do I just be safe and buy Double 1.7.

.................................................. ................Weight Limit Max Flatness
    Blackbird Double Layer 1.1oz (grey) 27.25oz / 31.25oz 250 200
    Blackbird Double Layer 1.7oz (olive green) 36.5oz / 40oz 375 300
    Blackbird Single Layer 1.7oz (olive green) 25oz / 29.25oz 240 190

I have a JRB Shenandoah Summer Quilt. Crowsnest three season quilt has been ordered

Images
    you could go double 1.1 or even single 1.7

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Back bird warbonnet two layer is what I have and been useing for over a year and very pleased. I am 6ft 225lbs. I like the fact it has a place for a pad but do not use it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    RX-200
    Insulation
    Shenandoah Long
    Thanks guys

Ordered the double 1.1.

Cavediver, Have you ever used your RX-200 tarp with the Warbonnet? It is 5 inches shorter than the Edge tarp. I'm hoping it will provide me with enough coverage so I don't have to buy a second small tarp.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl & Clark NA for winter
    Tarp
    Custom made for me
    Insulation
    Te-Wa UQ, SPE
    Suspension
    whoopie or cinch
    I just converted to a WBBB 1.7 Dbl layer. I was in a regular Clark NA.

I'm 5'10 and weigh more than you. I am a curvy chick.

I immediately noticed the room on the sides when lying in the BB. I have more laying options.

My husband has a HH UL Explorer, and his HH has even more room inside. But I felt that it was TOO much and that I couldn't quickly look out the netting to check out suspicious noises.

I do love my BB more than any of the other hammocks we have. HH, Clark, and ENO. I think you will be very pleased.

I purchased my BB off the forums here a while ago
    (like a year!) and never got into it, since I was convinced my clark was perfect for me. Made all the conversions to the Clark, whoopie slings/toggle system. I think my hesitation was the netting on the BB and no weather shield.

I hung the BB up yesterday in the Prescott Forest and fell asleep immediately. It was NOON! lol There was a breeze but my Winter dream tarp was not pitched for the wind. Just for fun. I didn't even notice I was swaying. It was low 50s and I was trying my UQ and GG pad in between the layers. I have to say....it was one HEAVENLY Nap.

My husband took a picture of me sleeping in it.

Good luck with your BIRD... you're gonna LOVE it!
    It's not the pace....it's the experience.

SKITTLES

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WeTommyD View Post
    Thanks guys

Ordered the double 1.1.
    I'm 6'5", 220 lbs and find the dbl 1.1 WBBB to be quite comfortable. With Whoopie Slings, it's light and compact (for a hammock).
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Clark n150
    Tarp
    el cheepo
    Insulation
    figuring it out
    Suspension
    ropes/drip rings
    Images
    I've been thinking about this also. Here's my thought. I love the weather guard on the clark for a few reasons. I like it when it is super cold out because it gives warmth but I don't like it zipped because i want my breath to condense and freeze on the tarp and thus the weather guard keeps my sleeping bag free of frost...so I like it way below freezing.

For medium and low temps in the winter though, the pockets don't do me any good and the poles change the shape enought that I had to figure out how to adjust my underquilt rather than just falling into it like a gathered end simple hammock like my eno which makes quilts easy.
    At these medium winter temps (say freezing to to 50 degrees, the bug net is not needed either.

My idea is to use my clark for summer therefore and verrrrry cold winter and I am considering a traveller with no net for winter use since it is lighter and the net is not needed and the underquilt will be less finicky than a with blackbird and a footbox or my clark with the poles that give me room but change the shape of the bottom of the hammock. Angry sparrow made me think of this because he used his traveller with no net at mount rogers and seemed very comfortable.

Its funny to me because I thought the clark was more of a winter hammock when I bought it.

so that's my plan....clark in the summer, traveller maybe in the winter. Blackbird ...not right now becuase another netted hammock seems like a waste.

Hammock
    Tarp
    RX-200
    Insulation
    Shenandoah Long
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmarbleshoe View Post
    ....it was one HEAVENLY Nap.

My husband took a picture of me sleeping in it.

Good luck with your BIRD... you're gonna LOVE it!
    I guess I have a lot of naps to look forward to. The picture speaks for itself!

Hammock
    Tarp
    RX-200
    Insulation
    Shenandoah Long
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    I'm 6'5", 220 lbs and find the dbl 1.1 WBBB to be quite comfortable. With Whoopie Slings, it's light and compact (for a hammock).
    We are very close in size. I read in another post that you were happy with the 1.1 double and it gave me courage to make the purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by cooldays View Post
    I've been thinking about this also. Here's my thought. I love the weather guard on the clark for a few reasons. I like it when it is super cold out because it gives warmth but I don't like it zipped because i want my breath to condense and freeze on the tarp and thus the weather guard keeps my sleeping bag free of frost...so I like it way below freezing.

For medium and low temps in the winter though, the pockets don't do me any good and the poles change the shape enought that I had to figure out how to adjust my underquilt rather than just falling into it like a gathered end simple hammock like my eno which makes quilts easy.
    At these medium winter temps (say freezing to to 50 degrees, the bug net is not needed either.
    I only camped once with the NX-200 in the snow. Temps got down to around 25 degrees. I left the weathershield open just two inches and had no problems with condensation. I close it almost all the time at night because I like the privacy. Keeps light out so I can sleep in a little bit longer in the morning.

Once it arrives I'll have to look into the whoppies slings. I ordered the adjustable webbing because it looked so easy and I always end up setting my hammock up in the dark.

• + New Posts