Thread: Arizona Hang #4

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL w/ zipper mod
    Insulation
    Te-wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    Taylor's Cabin sounds cool http://www.hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=317 But the trail head seems hard to get to without a high clearance vehicle.
    I was there a few weeks ago and the river is VERY high. Fortunately I was the only hanger because most of the good trees were in the water.
    Does the learning and DROOLING never end?

BroHamm = Brother of the Hammock

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    The most common route to Taylor Cabin is from the Dogie trailhead.

http://www.hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=755

This drive is a lot more doable and the hike in is very nice. There is a stream crossing at Sycamore creek that could be problematic if the water is running strong, but a local hiking group did it recently and while difficult, it was manageable.

There are some hanging spots above the creek just down the trail from the cabin. I've hung there a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    Taylor's Cabin sounds cool http://www.hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=317 But the trail head seems hard to get to without a high clearance vehicle.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL w/ zipper mod
    Insulation
    Te-wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by drewboy View Post
    The most common route to Taylor Cabin is from the Dogie trailhead.

http://www.hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=755

This drive is a lot more doable and the hike in is very nice. There is a stream crossing at Sycamore creek that could be problematic if the water is running strong, but a local hiking group did it recently and while difficult, it was manageable.

There are some hanging spots above the creek just down the trail from the cabin. I've hung there a couple of times.

This is the way our group went a few weeks ago. The road is a little rutted from cars driving on it while the road was still muddy. Doable with a high clearance vehicle.

The trail itself is around 10 miles each way as verified by more than one gps on the trip. Anybody bringing children or those not ready for a moderate/strenuous hike may not find it enjoyable.
    Here's a video I took of one of our crew trying to cross Sycamore Creek on our way out:

It seems like only Te-wa, drewboy, roadtorque, skittles and myself are actively discussing this hang. Is anybody out there??? lol
    Does the learning and DROOLING never end?

BroHamm = Brother of the Hammock

Hammock
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Yeah, that guy was struggling a bit. Almost painful to watch. I'm sure that a crossing of some sort is a possibility in 4 weeks, but unless another big storm comes through I don't think it's anything to worry about. It is a bit of a hike in from Dogie, but a very pretty one.

Here's a picture of that same spot in Feb 2008 from a trip we went on. BTW, this creek bed has been completely dry on every other trip I've been on, which is up to maybe 7 total by now.

Last edited by drewboy; 04-02-2010 at 09:26.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Full UQ/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    It seems like only Te-wa, drewboy, roadtorque, skittles and myself are actively discussing this hang. Is anybody out there??? lol
    I'm planning on attending, but since I don't know the area (and won't be in the area until mid-month) there's not much I can add to the discussion.
    "The green earth, say you? That is itself a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day." -Aragorn, 'The Two Towers' by J.R.R. Tolkien

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I just got the notice -- sorry: life's been busy lately (we're expecting in a few weeks!). I'd love to come, but I can't commit until I see how things settle down once the baby comes.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I would like to plan Parsons spring with a back up being Taylors cabin.However, we are only a month out and it might be easier just to commit to Taylor's cabin for planning purposes. I wouldn't be able to pre-hike parsons spring until the weekend before the hang to make sure it's passable, which is a little late to make final decisions. I think the Sedona area would be nice that time of year. What do you all say, should we commit to Taylor's cabin using the route drewboy linked http://www.hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=755? My only concern would be the length of the hike for some people, but I'm thinking I might be the weakest link and given enough time I can make it. I routinely hike 5- 10 miles each weekend but not with a backpack on...I'll be fine

Hammock
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Roadtorque, I'm good with that plan. I should know within a couple of days if my work conflict will be an issue or not for me. One thing to keep in mind: if we get more than 5-6 hangers we may have to spread out a lot to find hanging spots. They are not as plentiful as up on the Rim.

Check out what one of our hangers did on our last trip there:

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Good point Drewboy. I have never been to this area so thanks for the info. Although I enjoyed all the rain earlier this year it seems to be putting a kink in some desirable locations for our hangout.

I think we have the following commitments so far.
    Longbow and Jacob
    Te-wa
    Pisandoc
    Drewboy
    Rilmoigan
    Rook and Redmarbleshoe

We have not heard a commitment from
    doughnutman73

I sent an email to 8 other Az hangers late last night. We will give them a few days to see if they commit.

Rook, you seemed to have the most up-to-date info on Parsons Spring. I know you mentioned high water now but what do you think about 4 weeks from now? A lot can change by then. It sounds like if we have more people commit (the more the better) then Taylors cabin wont work.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    based on my experience, Parsons at Sycamore ck. has less hanging potential than Dogie at Sycamore ck.
    IIRC, we had 6 hangers at Taylor cabin and it worked out great.
    Despite being 10 miles from Dogie t/h to the cabin, it is a less than moderate scale hike with a bit of hilly terrain but no big gains. We could easily avoid the big gain/climb up Casner by making this an out-and-back hike. Casner mt. is not that impressive, IMHO.
    OTOH, the Highline trail segment from 260 t/h to Christopher Creek (See Canyon) is a very nice 7 miles, and we could shuttle to Tonto creek to make a 17 mile overnight. This area has no shortage of trees. and water is everywhere, with good views into the Pleasant Valley below.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast