I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Slept out in it again last night ...... down to 23º.
    Nice night. Put on the Winter Yeti and weathershield. Put a small Thermarest sit pad in my footbox of my JRB Hudson River TQ and had NO condensation on the TQ footbox. When I use my GG 1/4 pad I normally have some on my footbox bottom ... never damp inside ...only out.
    None this morn!!! Yeah.
    Very comfy. Just different than a gathered end.
    Smilin' Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Just thought I'd chime in on this thread... Our friend Grizz generously sent a GrizzBridge to me last week to try out and tinker with. After sourcing the spreaders and putting a suspension on, I finally took it out after lunch today for a nap and to snap some quick pics.

Great work on the hammock, Grizz, I'm really enjoying it so far. Thanks again.

“I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

ἑταῖροι
    Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Just thought I'd chime in on this thread... Our friend Grizz generously sent a GrizzBridge to me last week to try out and tinker with. After sourcing the spreaders and putting a suspension on, I finally took it out after lunch today for a nap and to snap some quick pics.

Great work on the hammock, Grizz, I'm really enjoying it so far. Thanks again.

WOW! Look at that spring weather!
    Live by the sword, die by the arrow

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images

Looks great! In the pic above I was trying to figure out what purpose this seam was for? Easy way to sew in end or other purpose?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    can anyone compare the pro's and con's of the grizzbridge to the JRB bridge

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post

Looks great! In the pic above I was trying to figure out what purpose this seam was for? Easy way to sew in end or other purpose?
    I've been experimenting with a different way to attach an endcap. See below.
    endcap.jpg

The idea is to start with a rectangular piece whose long edge is exactly the fabric width of the fabric under the spreader bar and make a couple of honking great darts in it (red lines). The 4" offset is needed to get the two cuts in a dart to be the same length. The seam you comment on is bias tape that brings those cut edges together.

I have been frustrated in the past with getting a parabolic endcap cut to have exactly the right arclength (including seam allowance) and to deal with fabric stretching and slipping so that I end up with a out-of-skew endcap. This design uses a little more fabric, but is a lot more forgiving in terms of sewing errors. Fault tolerant endcap design is what I call it
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    can anyone compare the pro's and con's of the grizzbridge to the JRB bridge
    I like the JRB bridge, and would prefer to answer this in terms of pointing out differences.
    • The GrizzBridge is much lighter. Excluding spreader bars (because hiking poles can be used as dual use), I have made them to come in just under 16 oz for hammock, suspension, tree-huggers, and this using webbing on the sides. One can shed a couple of ounces going to cord-based side suspension. I've done these, but prefer the webbing as it is lot easier to use the hammock as a chair w/o cord cutting into one's back and legs. The body fabric is one layer of 1.9 oz / sq yd fabric, the end caps 1.1 oz.
    • The BMBH has hefty (so more puncture resistance) fabric, including a pad pocket. I've made a double body GrizzBridge with the second body being 1.1 oz fabric suitable for a pad, and that adds something like 3 oz to the weight.
    • The GrizzBridge is shallower and wider. I sense a big difference in fabric near my shoulders in the GB versus the BMBH. I can easily see out the side of a GB whereas in a BMBH I'm deeper into the hammock. Correspondingly the GB rotates more quickly (some might call it "tippy", although I've never tipped out of one) than a BMBH. In the BMBH you can sorta of sit up and lean back against the endcap. Not recommended in the GB, although with an extra piece of fabric (we call it the Lazy Boy) suspended between the corners you can pretty much do the same thing in the GB.
    • The basic BMBH spreader bar is lighter than the one I'm using at the head of the GB. But again, including certain types of hiking poles as a spreader bar for the GB is straightforward.
    • The BMBH is symmetric---29" wide at both the head and foot. The GB is 36" wide at the head, 24" wide at the foot. In addition to the greater spread at the shoulders I already alluded to, the narrower foot means a lighter spreader bar can be used. On a GB you can just lash good trail stick to make do for a foot spreader. I've just determined how to use a lighter Easton pole down there, which makes one of those lighter than the BMBH spreader bar
    • Since the GB is wider at the head, tarp issues are all the more serious. I can just work a GB under a MacCat Delux. Just. For heavier weather I put on a cuben (< 2 oz) weather shield for stuff coming under the sides, and a beak at the head.
    • The most important difference---you can actually buy a BMBH. Two of the cottage industry guys have been in contact with me about taking the GB commercial. I'm willing, but I'm not setting up a hammock making shop!

The BMBH is designed for a commercial market and is a solid piece of gear. I'd put the GB on the scale towards a bit more finicky as lightweight gear often is.
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 04-05-2010 at 00:29.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    In addition to Grizz's description of the endcaps, here are pics of the head and foot ends respectively.

The perimeter of the endcaps, excepting the very top, are larger dimensions than the hammock fabric. Thus when the hammock is tensioned with the spreader bars and the weight of an occupant, there is a slack material 'pocket' on each end. The dart seams form clearly defined corners. It reminds me somewhat of the WBBB footbox construction.

I don't find the GrizzBridge to be 'tippy' in practical use. And the visibility from the hammock is quite appreciated.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I have been frustrated in the past with getting a parabolic endcap cut to have exactly the right arclength (including seam allowance) and to deal with fabric stretching and slipping so that I end up with a out-of-skew endcap.
    I thought I was the only one. I think that is the hardest part of making the bridge.

Excellent creation Grizz.

Would it be a good idea to have a transparent material for the foot end so it then becomes a window???To see all those lovely views and let the occasional passer by see yer feet!

Shug look forward to seeing your new bridge on the silver screen soon.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast