Hennessay Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Potomac
    Suspension
    Homemade whoopie

Hello from extrem westrn Florida Panhandle

I grew up north of Pittsburgh Pa and promptly left home in the Military as soon as they would take me. (split service 4 Navy/ 16 Coast Guard). Hunted a lot and did some camping in growing years in western Pa. The Scout roop I was in was following AND teaching leave no trace before anybody even thought it would be a problem. I’m in my late 50’s and been retired a few but have camped off and on the whole time I was on active duty when I could get time to get in the woods

I'm not really a backpacker, just a fair weather camper now in Escambia County Florida. I guess I don't really even qualify as a newbie yet as I don't have any hanging gear yet. Been bouncing around the forum for a while after I ran across one of Shugs vids on youtube.

I was researching Tinny's stoves from Minibull design and ran into a stove review and started watching all of Shugs vids. went from having the stove bug to getting the hammock bug pretty quick as I have a lot of trouble lying on the ground flat for any length of time. It seemed like the camping system that makes the most sense.

Started researching DIY hammocks and then commercial hammocks. Would probably have a hammock if I could find ripstop in Pensacola, (or really cheap on the Net) but now I am leaning towards a Hennessy Expedition due to the skeeters and yellow flies here. Like the idea of the bugnet. Seems like it will be my best pick as it's an all in one package. It wouldn't be as cheap as DIY, or as much fun but it's still a little chilly here and I'm like I said, a fair weather camper.

Still bouncing around getting ideas on hanging systems etc, just gleaning knowledge from everyone's hard research, why duplicate known problems. Haven't yet decided if I'm going to go DIY yet. But there's no real hurry yet. Will probably be in the air before too much longer.

Anybody know of a good DIY on a under cover for a Hennessy that I could use to hold light insulation. Don’t need to go to an UQ yet, just need a little extra as I feel the cold faster than rest of my family. If I go DIY on my hammock I’ll probably follow Headchange4U’s plans I like the thought of an Asym hammock. I’ll probably end up a hard-core DIYer s that has always been the way I’m wired.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to experiment an post their results, especially for us newbies, on limited funds, that don’t really have a clue as what might work. Helps not waste what resources we can scrape together. Keep up the great work.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Welcome to the forum Allan
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whooooo Alan ....... gotcha!
    Hope your time here is fun, productive and gets you into the piney woods.....
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome Alan. Let us know what you decide on for your hammock & under quilt. And yeah, once you get started, it may be hard to stop for a while<G>.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Hennessay Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Potomac
    Suspension
    Homemade whoopie

First Hammock

Just a quick addition. Slowhike I went with the Hennsessy Expedition. seemed like the best price for me with the two tarps and snakeskins and the Silnylon upgrade to the stock tarp.

First test hang was yesterday after UPS delivered it. Only one tree that I could get to in my backyard and it's about 8ft in Circumference so I tried a 4X4 guyed with one of the 30' webbing from Speer's sale section and about 30" rebar as the yard is soft sand and tent stakes pull easy. Tied a second wrapped around the tree and used the Marlin Spike Hitch with a steel snap hook I had laying around. Didn't drop me on the ground yet. Only mistake I made was I set up at about 20-21 ft and only about 5ft high. Had some trouble with the lay but I will shorten the set-up next attempt.

I'm going to try a couple of seven foot pieces of steel pipe and 4 rebar. May be the most portable stand for the beach. If it works will try 2 or three foot sections with threaded couplings. Won't really be appropriate for bakpacking but it should pack small for car camping. Will post future results if I ever get around to actually doing it.

i keep seeing threads from some of the more experienced people about starting a section for newbies. Would have helped me a lot with that first setup. Yeah, I know I watched all of Shugs video series on newbie tips but must have missed the 30 degree hang. Well, better luck next time.
    Alan

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Welcome, my parents lived near Lilian Al, right across the bridge from Pensacola. Spent lots of time at Gulf Shores, we love that area.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• + New Posts