Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    WBRR
    Insulation
    Down
    Images

Seam sealing a Mambajamba

Hello, I'm reanimating this thread. It is currently raining buckets in Memphis TN and up to a few minutes ago I was hanging asleep in my back yard underneath a spinn Big Mambajamba tarp. Then things got wet.

I read in more than a few places that the ridgeline of this tarp did not need to be seam sealed because of the way that it is sewn, but I don't think that this is true. There was a significant amount of water that made its way through and spot-soaked my blanket. I laid still for a while to make sure that it wasn't spray that was coming under the edges or splashing off the ground. I was eventually able to see water drops beading and falling from the ridgeline.

For those that have sealed this tarp, do you just use silnet or silicone/mineral spirits? if so, do you do it on the top of the tarp (the ribbon side) or on the bottom?

Images
    well. you're the first one that's happened to, i've never had anyone say it had leaked till now

did you have a seperate line running under the tarp?

Quote Originally Posted by bowlhaircut View Post
    Hello, I'm reanimating this thread. It is currently raining buckets in Memphis TN and up to a few minutes ago I was hanging asleep in my back yard underneath a spinn Big Mambajamba tarp. Then things got wet.

I read in more than a few places that the ridgeline of this tarp did not need to be seam sealed because of the way that it is sewn, but I don't think that this is true. There was a significant amount of water that made its way through and spot-soaked my blanket. I laid still for a while to make sure that it wasn't spray that was coming under the edges or splashing off the ground. I was eventually able to see water drops beading and falling from the ridgeline.

For those that have sealed this tarp, do you just use silnet or silicone/mineral spirits? if so, do you do it on the top of the tarp (the ribbon side) or on the bottom?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Insulation
    Down
    Images

Thumbs up Solved

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    did you have a seperate line running under the tarp?
    You know what, you are right. I am a little bit of the tard persuasion. Last night was coincidentally the first night I had tried a tree to tree single ridgeline with the slack going under the tarp, and I did not use any drip strings. Of course I got wet.

So, for any future searches for 'warbonnet big mambajamba seam sealing tarp' I hope that this post turns up.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    When I seam-sealed my side pulls I used silicone caulk thinned with mineral spirits and applied with a small art paintbrush I had lying around.

As others have said, my tarp is heavy. Since it's arguably the most important part of my kit (I could sleep on the ground with it if my hammock failed for some reason or if I couldn't hang), and since its quality has astounded me (see earlier post about hail and mega-storm), that's one piece of my kit I've refused to change solely for weight purposes.

Brandon didn't offer them in spinn when I bought or I might have gone for it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Big Mama
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Jedi Power NoCable
    Quote Originally Posted by east_stingray View Post
    When I seam-sealed my side pulls I used silicone caulk thinned with mineral spirits and applied with a small art paintbrush I had lying around.
    I have not yet ordered the superfly but when I do.. do I have to worry about seam-sealing the side pull ? or is it one of those thing that need to be re-seam-sealed after a while/use/time ?

My own advice will be, don't touch it unless it leak..

Images
    it's not mandatory because those are not overhead, if water comes thru, it would run down the side. i know some have sealed the panel pulls, my guess is most do not

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    it's not mandatory because those are not overhead, if water comes thru, it would run down the side. i know some have sealed the panel pulls, my guess is most do not
    When mine leaked, they weren't really getting my stuff wet. The problem was that the wind was gusting around 65-70mph and I was on a rocky beach, scrambling around trying to get my corners tied back down to something. So, as I scurried around under my tarp my back got wet, along with the hammock when I pushed it into the side of the tarp.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Big Mama
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Jedi Power NoCable
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    I've had my JRB tarp for a few years now. I don't think Warbonnet had a site when I got my JRB (which I really like). I just got a Spinn Big Mama from Warbonnet because I wanted to try a spinn tarp and wanted to save a few ounces. I plan to use both.
    Are you happy with your Spinn UL HappyCamper ? this morning while sipping my coffee, i said to myself.. why not get a Spinn tarp Doc ? and Superfly is only Silnylon so everything point to a Big Mama
    Last edited by DocBurN; 05-17-2010 at 06:34. Reason: typo

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12