Thread: Snake Skins

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Here's a tutorial I put together not long ago on making mesh snake skins.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

I have a HH Hyperlight with the Super Shelter and pad. I thought about using skins to help compress and pack the entire set up and to keep it out of the dirt during set up. I called Hennessy to find out which size to use and they say they don't recommend using skins with the Supersheltr attached. Does anyone use skins like this?

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    I have a HH Hyperlight with the Super Shelter and pad. I thought about using skins to help compress and pack the entire set up and to keep it out of the dirt during set up. I called Hennessy to find out which size to use and they say they don't recommend using skins with the Supersheltr attached. Does anyone use skins like this?
    I have packed the SS undercover and underpad in the largest set of skins HH has. It's kinda tight but do-able. That was with the HH Exped so the Hyperlight might compress a little smaller and fit better.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I can't comment on using skins with the super shelter in particular, but a lot members here do use snake skins that will hold a hammock and a under quilt. I don't see why you couldn't use them with the super shelter.

If you were going to use skins you would probably have to make some bigger ones to fit the super shelter and the hammock.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rigidpsycho View Post
    what would be the easiest way to make snakeskins?
    Here is a tried and true approach....http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/DIY.htm.... Enjoy!

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images
    I think that recommendation is strictly related to the underpad. If you go to the trouble of removing the underpad and compressing it in a stuff sack, then the rest of the supershelter, and stock tarp or even a MacCat deluxe if you want, will fit into the #4 skins. I think the main thing is that Tom figures it is just more convenient to not take anything apart once you have the SuperShelter put together, so he just takes the whole thing, leaving the sleeping bag in the hammock/supershelter, and stuffs it as one unit into his pack.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-16-2007 at 22:33.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stoikurt View Post
    I have packed the SS undercover and underpad in the largest set of skins HH has. It's kinda tight but do-able. That was with the HH Exped so the Hyperlight might compress a little smaller and fit better.
    Stoikurt, so apparently no problem with OCF underpad damage from stretching when folding the skins up? I think someone once mentioned that might be a concern, at least theoretically.

Is anyone else having trouble loading JustJeff's website? It keeps timing out for me. I know it worked last week.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightsabre View Post
    Is anyone else having trouble loading JustJeff's website? It keeps timing out for me. I know it worked last week.
    it's working for me.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    I still use snakeskins, but I would like to switch to the bb sack. Just been too lazy.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast