Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Senior Member rigidpsycho's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lexington, Ky
    Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Posts
    1,139
    Images
    57

    ridgeline for toploading hammock

    I have a bali and java hammock that I have added the ring support to. Now I' thinking of adding a ridge line to it does any one have an idea of how would be the best way to do this. Here's a website with a picture of the one I have. I have the Island waters double. http://www.novica.com/art/home-decor...=5&sortby=Name

  2. #2
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,628
    Images
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by rigidpsycho View Post
    I have a bali and java hammock that I have added the ring support to. Now I' thinking of adding a ridge line to it does any one have an idea of how would be the best way to do this. Here's a website with a picture of the one I have. I have the Island waters double. http://www.novica.com/art/home-decor...=5&sortby=Name
    The bridge hammock guys (all three of them who post anyway) run lightweight spectra from ring buckle to ring buckle. In my arrangement I have a separate line for each ring buckle, one of which has a small ring at the end. To set the length I run the other line through this small ring, and tie it off using a full turn and two half hitches. You can sort of see that in this picture.

    Once I've found the length I want, I tie a knot in the line w/o small ring to mark a place near where I want to pull the line before tying it. Or just leave the ridgeline tied in.

    Grizz

  3. #3
    Senior Member rigidpsycho's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lexington, Ky
    Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Posts
    1,139
    Images
    57
    thanks for the info. my ring supporthas three rings(one attached to hammock and 12" of webbing then other two rings) I just don't know if I should attach them to upper rings or the lower rings.

  4. #4
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,628
    Images
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by rigidpsycho View Post
    thanks for the info. my ring supporthas three rings(one attached to hammock and 12" of webbing then other two rings) I just don't know if I should attach them to upper rings or the lower rings.
    Think about head clearance getting into and out of the hammock. That could be sufficient reason for going with the upper rings.

    Grizz

  5. #5
    Senior Member rock_rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairmont, WV
    Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB HR and NS
    Posts
    142
    Images
    1
    How strong does the cord need to be. I have a length of parachute cord I always keep in my pack. My understanding is para cord is rated at 550 lbs. I know 4mm spectra is rated at 850 pounds. Do you think that para cord is strong enough for the ridge line.

  6. #6
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,628
    Images
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by rock_rat View Post
    How strong does the cord need to be. I have a length of parachute cord I always keep in my pack. My understanding is para cord is rated at 550 lbs. I know 4mm spectra is rated at 850 pounds. Do you think that para cord is strong enough for the ridge line.
    It doesn't have to be as strong as the stuff I'm using (2.8 mm Spyderline)! I have it, so I use it. 550 lbs overkill too, but para cord is nylon---yes? That will stretch and I don't think you want your ridgeline stretching.

    For about $5 you can get 50 ft of polyester rope at one of the Big Box stores that rates to 100 or 200 lbs, and that will suffice I'd think. It's just fat. The ridgeline doesn't get that much load put on it. I'm certain that others will chime in with their own takes on this.

    Grizz

  7. #7
    Senior Member rock_rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairmont, WV
    Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB HR and NS
    Posts
    142
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    It doesn't have to be as strong as the stuff I'm using (2.8 mm Spyderline)! I have it, so I use it. 550 lbs overkill too, but para cord is nylon---yes? That will stretch and I don't think you want your ridgeline stretching.

    For about $5 you can get 50 ft of polyester rope at one of the Big Box stores that rates to 100 or 200 lbs, and that will suffice I'd think. It's just fat. The ridgeline doesn't get that much load put on it. I'm certain that others will chime in with their own takes on this.

    Grizz
    Thanks, I hadn't thought about the stretch but thats a really good point.

  8. #8
    Senior Member rigidpsycho's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lexington, Ky
    Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Posts
    1,139
    Images
    57
    on average what is the proper length of a ridgeline or is it of ones own personal preference.

  9. #9
    Senior Member FanaticFringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lawrenceville, Ga
    Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Posts
    2,424
    Images
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by rigidpsycho View Post
    I have a bali and java hammock that I have added the ring support to. Now I' thinking of adding a ridge line to it does any one have an idea of how would be the best way to do this. Here's a website with a picture of the one I have. I have the Island waters double. http://www.novica.com/art/home-decor...=5&sortby=Name
    Cool looking hammocks. Never heard of them before. Similar to an ENO or Treklite maybe?
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 08-07-2007 at 15:39.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

  10. #10
    Senior Member rigidpsycho's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lexington, Ky
    Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Posts
    1,139
    Images
    57
    It really lookslike a treklight, that is what I thought it was after looking at the manufacturers threads. I ended up asking my brother-in-law who bought it for my birthday. he also got himself one,which he's actually has gone out camping in his(the advantage of being single with no kids).

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •