Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 93
  1. #51
    Senior Member NCPatrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    9,041
    Images
    40
    <sigh> UTO, another TLA to remember.


    three letter acronym


    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

  2. #52
    Senior Member elcolombianito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bogota, Colombia
    Hammock
    HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Posts
    208
    Images
    20
    Hey! Just changed to this ring buckle system, with out the extra loops. Its working great for me and solved some problems i had on my HH with the ringbuckles plus long straps system. Thanks.
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

  3. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I spoke too soon about Vectran 12 holding in the Garda hitch, at least the stock version. In a pitch that was a bit flatter than usual (owing to shorter suspension lines, on a different hammock than usual, between far away trees), I got dropped. Not far, but still.

    I stayed up after a small modification to the Garda hitch. Just one additional full wrap of the cord around the rings before the "pinch". This takes some of the pulling force off the pinched end.

    Grizz
    hey grizz, how does the amsteel compare with gripability comparfed to the vectran? i haven't had vectran in awhile, so cannot try it.

    i have fabricated some "garda plates" out of stock aluminum. they self align so the line feeds smooth and aligns properly for the most holding power. i made some mini's for guylines and some bigger ones for a garda suspension. they work, but the single braid dyneema slips under high load on both. they almost hold my weight. i was thinking the vectran might hold since it seems somewhat less slippery. i'm almost 100% positive a line with a cover would hold, but haven't tried any. i've actually had these made for awhile, but set them aside since they didn't work with the amsteel or the zing it.

    anyway, will the amsteel work with the extra wrap like the vectran does? does the vectran hold well that way without any backup?

  4. #54
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,628
    Images
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    hey grizz, how does the amsteel compare with gripability comparfed to the vectran? i haven't had vectran in awhile, so cannot try it.
    ...
    the few times I used Amsteel it seemed OK, but I wouldn't say I have enough experience for that to constitute an endorsement. Right now I'm using 3.8mm Spyderline with no issues.

    anyway, will the amsteel work with the extra wrap like the vectran does? does the vectran hold well that way without any backup?
    Probably. The problem I found with the extra wrap is that becomes a bit involved loosening up the hitch to give out more slack. Sort of eliminates the "ease of use" advantage of the Garda hitch.

    Grizz

  5. #55
    slowhike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing &amp; rings
    Posts
    10,596
    Images
    319
    At some of the hang outs, I would love to see several of these cord types in person. It would be helpful to see & feel them & even have someone demonstrate them side by side, showing some of the pros & cons, along with a few of the knots that are being talked about.
    Maybe a picture report could be done. Better yet, a video.
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

  6. #56
    hey, here's those garda plates i was talking about. turns out they do work with the vectran (at least with the old piece i found which basically had the coating rubbed completely off and is therefore less slick)




  7. #57
    Senior Member headchange4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kentucky
    Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Posts
    6,267
    Images
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    hey, here's those garda plates i was talking about. turns out they do work with the vectran (at least with the old piece i found which basically had the coating rubbed completely off and is therefore less slick)



    Ooooo Me likey.

    Where did you get those? Would they hold up an occupied hammock?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett



    Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

  8. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Ooooo Me likey.

    Where did you get those? Would they hold up an occupied hammock?
    yeah, i made em, they do hold, not if using super slick amsteel blue though, but they seem to work well with the vectran and i'm sure would work with a double braid (line with sheath/cover) i think they are somewhere around 10g for the 2 pieces you see, so 20g total to do both ends of the hammock

  9. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ajax, ON
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered end type
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Posts
    76
    I just found this thread for the first time, and would like to add some info. This is in regards to bar tacks in webbing. I used to do a lot of climbing, and if you look carefully to the bar tacks sewn into the webbing and harnesses, you'll notice something. A properly sewn bar tack actually uses a straight stitch run back and forth across the webbing 4 or 5 times, then a zig-zag pattern is run over this to protect it. If it is abraided by something, the zig-zag will protect the actual stitch from wear keeping the integrity of the loop. When straight stitching, always use a stitch longer than 1.5mm, 2 or 3mm is good. When doing the zig-zag, use a stitch width that surrounds the straight stiches, with a stitch length of 0.5mm or so.

    Either that, or a boxed "X" sewn twice (second one right on top of the first so it looks like one boxed "X") with a stitch length of at least 1.5mm. Both are more than strong enough. And always use polyester or nylon thread. Never cotton.

    Dave

  10. #60
    slowhike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing &amp; rings
    Posts
    10,596
    Images
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by Doftya View Post
    I just found this thread for the first time, and would like to add some info. This is in regards to bar tacks in webbing. I used to do a lot of climbing, and if you look carefully to the bar tacks sewn into the webbing and harnesses, you'll notice something. A properly sewn bar tack actually uses a straight stitch run back and forth across the webbing 4 or 5 times, then a zig-zag pattern is run over this to protect it. If it is abraided by something, the zig-zag will protect the actual stitch from wear keeping the integrity of the loop. When straight stitching, always use a stitch longer than 1.5mm, 2 or 3mm is good. When doing the zig-zag, use a stitch width that surrounds the straight stiches, with a stitch length of 0.5mm or so.
    Dave
    Good detail on sewing the bar tacks. Thanks.
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •