Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

One more hammock stand thread!!!

Ok, I'm wanting a hammock stand that can fit in my car, and be cheap. I was searching through previous threads and kept seeing these 2 pole a frames being used with a stake on the outside of the setup. The roblem with those is the stake is taking a lot of force, and in soft or wet ground you can fall. Seeing the pictures got me thinknig of my boyscout days when we would lash poles together to make camp items, and how strong they were. That being said, has anyone tried a tripod on each side of the hammock for a stand.

Maybe instead of lashing poles you get some metal tubing 6 feet long, and put a bolt through all three about a foot from the top. This would allow the poles to pivot, and maybe a rope or chain to keep them from extending out too far. Since it has 3 legs, one leg faces towards the center of the setup, parallel to your ridgeline. That would put all of the force on that one leg, and cause the other two legs to act as a pivot. They will actually force the stand to pivot inward, and dig the inside leg into the ground, firmly anchoring it. Then I would just attach my structural ridgeline to the inward facing pole just above the bolt that attaches the three poles. The point where the poles meet and are bolted together would keep the attachment point from sliding down the pole, so a simple loop around the pole is all that's needed.

The only concern I have is if the structural ridgeline would create tpp much inward force too high on the tripod. Most of the tripod's strength is in downward force, and it could easily handle some lateral force as long as it is also being pulled down. A non-structural ridgeline wouldn't be a problem because the 30* sag (approx) of the hammock would pull down on the tripod keeping it planted.

Any thoughts, suggestions, ridicule, or praise/gifts would be appreciated. I really like the simplicity of the design, and that it requires very little assembly.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    not long ago, i suggested something like that in one of the threads, except my suggestion was to use a rigid pole from tri pod to tri pod.

the type poles that run along the top of a chain link fence are light & come w/ a male & female end, so they can be carried in shorter sections.
    i don't remember the price per pole, but they weren't as cheap as i hoped.

w/ that method, the weight of the hammocker would be hanging down on the tri pods.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    Ok, I'm wanting a hammock stand that can fit in my car, and be cheap.

<snip>

Any thoughts, suggestions, ridicule, or praise/gifts would be appreciated. I really like the simplicity of the design, and that it requires very little assembly.
    Tim points out above a modification he's mentioned before, rigid bar between tripods from which you hang the hammock. This will surely make the forces "down" where you want.

For what's its worth, my intuition is that for an ordinary hammock, your proposed method doesn't do a thing for lessening the forces on the stakes. It's really no different force-wise than the one pole solution. Nothing is going on in the design to counter the shear force, other than the stakes.

But this suggests something that hadn't occured to me before. This Bridge hammock whose idea has infected some of us is designed on the principle of suspension bridges, and the principle of suspension bridges is to move the weight load along the suspension cable and down the support columns. So it might well be that one could make a Bridge hammock and external supports that mimic this, and have less force on the stakes. I don't think the current Bridge designs would work though. Forcewise they look the same as any other hammock past the ring buckles. The support structure would have to come in essentially at the spreader bars.
    It's an idea worth trying....

Grizz

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest &amp; DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    I believe that if you use Tim's suggestion of a ridge pole between the tripods it will probably work OK. Otherwise you'll still need to stake them out as Griz says.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Images
    I'm gonna get some 2x2 lumber and test it out. I'm sure the wood will break if I lay in a hammock from it, but I could add weight to it gradually and see how it reacts. I will probalby use 1" angle iron 1/8" thick if I can get it cheap or free (I have good connections on some stuf). I may still get two of those cork screw type dog tie outs to attach to the tripods. I just think the one leg going on the inside will take a majority of the force, and not pull out the stake. I just don't like buying something when I can make it. Even if it is ugly, just as expensive, and somewhat complicated.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    be sure & keep us filled in on how well it works.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

what about a pipe stand, to save money use 2by 4s with a floor flange mounted in the middle as the feet, the rest is just like the speer stand. to save money use black iron pipe cut to size from home depot. I priced it and it was about 55 bucks that way. unscrews down. The precut pipe costs more. but they don't charge extra for cutting and threading. Not light, but each part doesnt wt a lot.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tanpuma View Post
    what about a pipe stand, to save money use 2by 4s with a floor flange mounted in the middle as the feet, the rest is just like the speer stand. to save money use black iron pipe cut to size from home depot. I priced it and it was about 55 bucks that way. unscrews down. The precut pipe costs more. but they don't charge extra for cutting and threading. Not light, but each part doesnt wt a lot.
    Partly because that has been done before, and I'm stubborn. I haven't seen one like this, so I want to make one. Also, this design allwos me to make the distance between the poles whatever I want. Since I have 2 hammocks, and one doesn't have a structural ridgeline, I want to be able to change the distance by just moving one of the frames.

It may be more complicated and not worth the hassle, but I will always be able to say I designed it. Unless I fall on my butt, then I will blame someone else for a crappy idea.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

tripod revisited

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    Partly because that has been done before, and I'm stubborn. I haven't seen one like this, so I want to make one. Also, this design allwos me to make the distance between the poles whatever I want. Since I have 2 hammocks, and one doesn't have a structural ridgeline, I want to be able to change the distance by just moving one of the frames.

It may be more complicated and not worth the hassle, but I will always be able to say I designed it. Unless I fall on my butt, then I will blame someone else for a crappy idea.
    With more chit-chat I have a better idea now of what you're describing. The leg that is alignment with the axis of the hammock body will provide resistence to the forces wanting to bring the ends together in that direction. So, in fact, the longer you can make that center leg the better angle you'll have for providing that resistence.

You will still need a stake in the back, along that same axis, but it won't be the only thing holding the hammock ends apart.

Let us know how it goes. Pay up your life insurance premiums first

Grizz

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    With more chit-chat I have a better idea now of what you're describing. The leg that is alignment with the axis of the hammock body will provide resistence to the forces wanting to bring the ends together in that direction. So, in fact, the longer you can make that center leg the better angle you'll have for providing that resistence.

You will still need a stake in the back, along that same axis, but it won't be the only thing holding the hammock ends apart.

Let us know how it goes. Pay up your life insurance premiums first

Grizz

Yep, that's what I was thinking. I will use the wood test frame to play with the length of the center leg for the most support without being in the way. I will probably talk a friend into laying in the hammock for me so I can "see how everything fits". After all, you can't see what's going on from inside the hammock. Now I just need to find a friend who I am not too attached to.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast