ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    If you carry that much water. lol
    I don't find a single liter of water to be a burden.
    I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt. - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images
    I dunno about Ultralight packing but, I do know about bad knees. I use Cho-Pats. They help so much I don't even know a word big enough to describe so! I tried hiking once without them and regretted it! When I use them I have NO knee problems whatsoever, which makes me feel like the Bionic Woman or something. *I had to mention that since they are remaking the series! SO EXCITED!*
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scorpiorising80/

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Big E View Post
    I figured that someone here has probably been through what I am going through now in my shift to ultralight backpacking, so I thought I'd ask here before heading out to learn by trial and error!!

I am a new hammock hanging convert and a new convert to ultralight hiking. Saw the light after a 50 miler with my sons scout troop down in the GSMNP where I ended up having some pretty bad knee problems (later diagnosed as illiotibial band syndrome - a fancy name for overused knee!!). Anyway, I decided to get the pack weight down from 40 lbs to something around 20 lbs. I've switched to a HH Explorer Deluxe from a 5 lb tent, switched to a Western Mountaineering Mytilite and recently found a Golite Breeze on Ebay that I picked up for $20!! That saves me about 5 pounds from my Gregory Wingate, but it does present some packing issues.

Specifically for this forum, I'm thinking of simply not using stuff sacks for either the hammock or the bag and just shoving them into the bottom of the Breeze and then packing food sack and misc ditty bags into the Breeze.

Any thoughts?

Anyone else using a Breeze or similar pack and have ideas??
    Amazing! I have not read any answers to your query yet. But I just got off the phone with Tom Hennessy 5 minutes ago. I went there to order another pair of skins to use separately on my tarp ( I already have some for the hammock). We ended up in a discussion of the SuperShelter. He informed me that when he uses the SupShelter and pad, he no longer uses skins with the hammock, but only on the tarp, which he hangs from the tree under these conditions. Then when he takes the hammock down in the rain, he simply stuffs the hammock, SuperShelter and sleeping bag- all as one unit- into his open pack, all under the tarp. IOW, He not only leaves the undercover AND the pad And the spaceblanket all connected, but he leaves his sleeping bag inside the hammock and stuffs the entire package into the bottom of his pack. Then, he skins his tarp and hits the trail. Apparently, he uses no stuff sacks for any of this. I'm now thinking I might want to look into this approach myself, though I do love using the snake skins with the hammock. But, as a SupShelter user, I would have to pull the pad out of the hammock and roll it up into a WP stuff sack if I'm going to skin the hammock.

I wonder if he is using a single water proof pack liner, to make sure the bag and pad stay dry? I may have to call him back and ask him that. I also wonder who makes a super light weight but water proof pack liner? Or maybe a heavy duty garbage bag would do? Or, maybe just a good old fashioned pack cover would do. Whichever would be lightest, I suppose.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HANGnOUT View Post
    I do something similar but I use a trash bag (multiuse item) to put my bag and hammock in. I find that it is easier to pack this way because the bag conforms to everything else you pack.
    Bag and hammock into one trash bag? Does that work good to keep things dry?

I read somewhere, maybe on WB.net that trash compactor bags are very durable and also fairly light. I'm going to give that a shot next weekend when I go out to the Gorge. I think that I'll take the advice and put the hammock and sleeping bag in the trash bag along with spare clothing and then pack everything else around it. I'll put the tarp in one of the outside mesh pockets for ease of access, etc.

Since Tom is doing it this way (sort of) I feel like I'll be in good company!!

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images
    Hammock Engineer told me he uses Sea to Summit dry sacks. 1 for his Hammock,underquilt etc. 1 for his food, 1 for his other goods, and a mesh sack for his tarp, raingear, and any wet clothes. He says he hasn't had any problems with anything getting wet. he also mentioned he slides everything in the middle of his sleeping pad, inside his pack, and it adds a protective barrier. I am going to try this method. They may be extra weight but, I trust in dry sacks. At least OR and Sea to Summit dry sacks. MHO
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scorpiorising80/

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing & rings
    Images
    i use several of the sea to summit dry sacks & like them.
    & i have to echo the cautions about having a system that will keep your critical gear dry.
    when you hike for miles & hours in the rain, well... water is amazing stuff w/ capillary action & stuff.
    it can find it's way into places you wouldn't have thunk
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    So, I read this thread and after realizing that you can pack your sleeping bag inside your hammock into one bag, I let out with a loud, "Duh!" and ran down into my basement to try it out.

I managed to cram everything into a very tight 7x17 REI compression sack. The result is a very tight football. I also tried my 8x19 REI compression sack which was easier to pack and likely to squish as needed in the pack.

Two questions:

1) Is it better to have a slightly larger but squishier bundle so that it better conforms to the bottom of the pack? I'm using a Granite Gear Nimbus Latitude. My guess is yes. I can really smash things into the smaller sack but I'm guessing, ultimately, I'll waste more space by leaving air gaps in the pack.

2) Is there any chance the bottom of the hammock will get wet even with a large tarp such as the Hennessy poly fly? Let me rephrase that. I'm sure, with enough wind and rain, the bottom of the supershelter (sil-nylon) can get wet. Is packing the hammock with the sleeping bag ultimately a bad idea in case that happens? Is it better to use two separate bags and keep the sleeping bag away from the possibly wet hammock? I haven't been out in too many rainstorms and none of them were severe enough to test the system adequately.

Thanks.

FreeTheWeasel

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing & rings
    Images
    i'd say that question 1 is a yes... let it conform.
    question 2 seems a little more uncertain, but i would lean in the direction of using the tarp & supper shelter to keep the hammock protected from blowing rain. then you wouldn't need to be concerned about getting the insulation wet.
    if by chance the hammock did get wet enough to concern you in a real bad storm, & you had an unused trash bag tucked away, you could pack the quilt in that until the hammock dried.
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Bag and hammock into one trash bag? Does that work good to keep things dry?
    Never had a problem with this. One of my trips last fall it rained all day and everything stayed dry. I keep the tarp in skins in the outside pocket. The HD trash bag is probably more waterproof than most stuff sacks. Packing the bag loosely in the trash bag and allowing it to conform to the other items helps keep thing where you put them. The bag almost seems vacuum packed when I pull it out at camp.