Hammock
    DIY
    Suspension
    7/64 amsteel knots

Not new to hanging but still green

Well I have been lurking this site for around a month and figured it was time for an introduction. Ta-Da...
    I was a camp ground attendant (not a Ranger, they carry guns) at Custer State Park in South Dakota when I was first introduced to hammocks as more than lounge chairs. First by one of the regular campers, who helped pass along his malady of G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome as he put it), and then by one of The Trek-light guys.
    The first placed the bug, the second came bearing the hook and I had to buy one. I spent the rest of the summer hanging in that park using what I had on hand for suspension...luckily it was a decent set of poly tie downs.
    I haven't been able to get out hanging until recently and the tie downs have vaporized. I was going to try 550 cord, but read and learned, and am now looking at amsteel. I need a little guidance there. How bad does it slip? What knots can be tied in it? how hard is it to work with?

I appreciate any help.

First welcome to HF!
    Second you can always get another set of straps. either from the great cottage gear makers listed here on HF, or you can get straps from wally world (or the like)! Knots do not hold well if at all on amsteel, it is best sliced! You can buy pre-made/spliced whoopie sling's from the cottage hsops listed here on HF! I say this as most whom have done the knot thing on amsteel did not fare very well, if at all as it's sooooo slippery!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    I should have stateMany of the other members here are more experienced with amsteel than I. Hopefully some of them will chime in. I found it a little tricky to work with in my first attempts. But after reviewing posts here and a little patience on my part. I have been able to obtain very satisfactory results. It is now what I use on my various hammocks. If you can not find it locally try West Marine on-line. That is where I got mine. If memory serves correctly they have a discount for HF members.
    Last edited by Poppabear; 06-17-2010 at 16:58. Reason: I should have pointed out that I do not use knots on it. I use splices there are numerous excellent how-ot threads here.

Hammock
    DIY
    Suspension
    7/64 amsteel knots
    I was looking at getting rid of the webbing all together and switching to more of a cord based system. The inner survivalist in me just likes having multifunction items on me, like cordage....webbing although useful does not adapt well to snares if need be. It sounds like I maybe looking at a covered Poly line like Spider line??? That is, if Amsteel is too slick....Anybody know the cord used in the WB setup videos...

• + New Posts