Washington Coast Cleanup day-Shi Shi beach

April 17th was Washington Coast clean up day. I signed up months ago to volunteer hard labor http://www.coastsavers.org/washington.html

Because the Coast is such an epic drive for me i chose to drive in a day early, and hang out overnight. Instead of backpacking on Shi Shi, i chose to car camp on Hobuck beach, since i knew i would be hauling a trash load, and i did not want to haul overnight gear and trash.
    When i arrived at Hobuck beach the weather was beautiful. In fact it does not get much better on the rainy Olympic coast. Once in the camp ground i set up camp.....
    and then explored the area a little bit, and watched the silly antics of some of the beach goers. Great place to take some candid photos.

I even set up for a short time lapse of the sun set. Although it kind of fizzled out, and was not as spectacular as i hoped.

After sunset i retired to the hammock, and watched a movie on my zune. When the move was over i drifted off to sleep the earliest in the i have in years. Slept like a baby. 4am...i woke to intense rain. My Super Fly handled the Olympic rain forest monsoon easily. By 6:30 am i started cooking breakfast under the shelter of the tarp. Still dumping cats and dogs. By 7:30ish, i turned in my volunteer registration form, and drove down to Shi Shi trail head.
    Shi Shi beach trail starts out on a nice board walk.
    But then deteriorates into ankle deep boot sucking mud. There's little in terms of elevation change, until the end just before the beach. It took less that twenty minutes to gather up 7 trash bags of trash.

This is me wearing the required rain gear, showing my latest backpacking tool

The beach it self is stunning. So is the volume of garbage that has washed up.

One bag o trash went in the backpack, the six others got tied to a piece of drift wood, slung over shoulder. It was a major PITA climbing the bluff out of the beach to the trail with that load.

I did not spend nearly enough time on Shi Shi beach. It's now on my short list, to re visit this year. But next year, i'll be organizing a sub group to help out the coast clean up.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Terrific for you Hulk for pitching in and doing some good!!!!.... and taking time to enjoy yourself as well. Super good pictures.
    Truly a wonderful Trip Report.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB BlackBird
    Insulation
    Crowsnest / Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Sounds like a great trip. I love Shi Shi beach and the area around there. I do not get up there as much as I would like. It's amazing the amount of trash that washes up... sad really.

My in-laws have a place right on the beach at Pacific Beach. Every time I go stay it seems like I spend most of the time picking up trash as I walk the beach. Some days I feel I'd rather just sit inside and read as it's a bit depressing to see such wonderful areas littered with trash.

Kudos for making the long drive and hauling out such a mountain of litter.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Great report and nice to see the pics of the coast. I don't know where shi shi beach is so i'm going to google it. Thanks for sharing
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

• + New Posts