Hammock
    DIY - Depends on time of year.
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Images

Waterproofing Ripstop

Has anyone tried using silicone spray,Of some sort) to waterwroof some of the Ripstop that is breathable. I have alot of it and would like to try and make some extra tarps out of it.. I have made small test pieces (2x2) and then hit it with the hose. Shed light rain but does seem to seep through and eventually soak the fabric.

Images
    I have tried several different ways and types of silicone or other waterproofing materials. They all have their pluses and minuses. Experimentation can eventually find you what you want. You might also try spraying both sides of the material if you were not doing that before. The reson being that a bond needs tp be made of the waterproofing materials all the way around the fibers and not just on one side which can in theory allow absorbtion from humidity levels being higher on the untreated side.

Another method I have used successfully is instead of spraying, actually dipping of the fabric in the silicone solution. I used to use this method many years ago with the old canvas scout tents we used in scouting back in the 60's and 70's. Only at that time the prefered method of waterproofing was usually some form of parrafin based method. either way it was and still is a messy job.

Good luck on your endeavour to find something. Let others know what you eventually find out so they can try and duplicate it for themselves.

Touch of Grey

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    let us know what you discover as you try some of those things, but the over all consciences in other discussions (here & elsewhere) was that people were not able to DIY anything as neat, even, light, & compact as the factory treated silnylon.
    BTW... in case you weren't aware, speer hammocks is (as far as i know) the cheapest, reliable source of silnylon at $4.00 per yard.

but adding a DWR treatment yourself is easy enough.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

silnylon

The cheapest I've found is Ed Speer's DIY: make your tarp with untreated $1.00/yard nylon from Walmart, then treat it with a silicon solution made by dissolving clear household silicon in a carrier like white gas or oderless mineral spirits. Speer describes the mix in his book. I did it on a homemade 8X10 tarp, and it works great. The solution penetrated the nylon and formed some runs and drips, so the appearance isn't as crisp as commercial silnylon, but I've tested it in the Arizona monsoon, and the tarp is absolutely waterproof under driving rain. Total cost for the tarp <$10.00, plus a bottle of wine for the seamstress. Not bad.

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    I have been thinking of trying disolving silicon the way you have described Yaqui Hiker so am wondering what exactly you used to disolve with and what proportions.

Hammock
    Hennessy Scout
    Suspension
    Straps and a knot
    I would also be interested in the full details of this waterproofing method.
    “We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

• + New Posts