Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rstms View Post
    I'm new here and this is my first post. Developed a much more intense interest in hammocks after sleeping on a particularly bad piece of real estate my last trip. Since I am a DIY person I am very happy to find this article. Have made my own tent and this is a natural progression. This design is really great. Thanks for great info!!!

Sam
    great, I appreciate that.

A revision of the Guide is in order, as I know of two working solutions to spreader bars now using hiking poles. There are pictures in the gallery and posts on the bridge thread, but as a pundit recently confided to me "life is too short to read all the posts in the bridge thread".

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    great, I appreciate that.

A revision of the Guide is in order, as I know of two working solutions to spreader bars now using hiking poles. There are pictures in the gallery and posts on the bridge thread, but as a pundit recently confided to me "life is too short to read all the posts in the bridge thread".

Grizz
    Man, now I have to start hitting Walmart again looking for 1.9oz. I have plenty of 1.1 but I am only using that for my kids hammocks. Good thing I get a discount.

Where it started?

Hi,

I'm the Aussie guy who (I think) started the whole bridge hammock idea when I invented and posted my design on the internet at the end of 2004 http://www.shf.org.au/SpecEv/Hammock.html.

I'm absolutely thrilled at they way you people have taken up the idea and developed it for walking. I started with a far removed wish - to get a good night's sleep on a heavily rolling 1874 square rigger. It solved my problem very well, but I made no attempt to keep the weight down (the ship can carry 1000 tons of cargo!) and to keep with the nautical theme I used canvas and laid rope.

I loved Grizz's point "All of us that have been exploring this hammock have marveled at the richness of design possibilities, and the opportunity for creative thinking and solutions." It is good to see Grizz's clear instructions, and ideas like dblhmmck's and ZDP-189s really pushing the boundaries - who knows where it will all end, but I am sure that lots of people will have lots of fun.

I have never used a hammock in the bush (my wife and I are also keen "ultralight" walkers), but it is becoming almost tempting to try. At the moment we carry about 3.5 kg (7.7 lb) for three season walking, going up to about 5 kg (11 lb) for winter snow conditions (plus food and fuel). We have recently completed a 7 day winter crossing of the Overland Track in Tasmania, and had a ball. But there were few trees strong enough to hang a hammock on this alpine walk! Some possible ones in this photo (27kB):-
    http://www.shf.org.au/SpecEv/MaryOnTrackSm.JPG

The picture is my wife (the Bosun's Mate) on the Overland Track.

Anyway, keep up the great work.

Regards,

Seaheritage

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing & rings
    Images
    great to hear from you Seaheritage! i know the others will be glad you found us & dropped in.
    i hope you'll check in w/ us from time to time. you may find your self with a hammock in your ultra light kit some day. if so, i'm sure you'll be glad you tried it. ...tim
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

Images
    Hey looky there!
    That's just too cool man.
    Yep, it sure started some commotion around here.
    A few of us just had to jump in and give it a try.
    It's still the most comfortable hammock I've slept in!

Anyway, welcome aboard..eww bad pun...
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Hammock
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

The Original Mr. Bridge!

Hey Seaheritage-
    it must be quite gratifying to see how your idea has taken root. Well done mate! We all have been having a grand old time.
    I think we're going to have to call a bridge hammock hang, on a ship, someday. Thanks for stopping by to say hello.

Grizz

I enjoyed reading the artilce on building a bridge hammock. I have been researching hammocks for a while. I have no complaints with sleeping on the ground under a tarp.

How much did you spend on it in dollars and time? Do you enter the hammock from the top? What is the pack weight for quilts and hammock

Hipockets

Hammock
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hipockets View Post
    I enjoyed reading the artilce on building a bridge hammock. I have been researching hammocks for a while. I have no complaints with sleeping on the ground under a tarp.

How much did you spend on it in dollars and time? Do you enter the hammock from the top? What is the pack weight for quilts and hammock

Hipockets
    The bridge is a top-loader. I started hammocking with a HH but have become a top-loading convert, at least when bugs are not an issue.
    I've not put up my HH hammocks for sale just yet.

The materials cost of making a bridge is on par with other hammocks. It uses maybe a yard less of fabric, but does require the webbing for the suspension, and some rings. Depends mostly on whether you use Walmart fabric, Home Depot rings, and straps from tie-down kits, or stuff from the Internet where you end up paying through the nose for shipping.

It takes me about 3 hours to go from fabric on a roll (conceptually) to a finished bridge body w/o end-caps. After that there's a lot of variation on time needed for end-caps and bugnet, depending on what approach you take.

I will take the Fifth on how much time and $$ I've put into tinkering with the bridge hammock idea as a hobby.

Pack weight is comparable to other hammocks. A body with sewn in end-caps weighs less than 16 oz. Throw in suspension and some bug protection, and you are a little over 2 lbs. You take a hit on the tarp---because the bridge is wide at a lower point than other hammocks, for coverage you need either a rectangular tarp with a 8' ridge-line, or a hex tarp with closer to 11' ridgeline. I have a MacCat Deluxe that just barely works. I'm inclined towards larger ones than that, and so there's a weight penalty there.

You can hang UQ the way you do with other hammocks, if you like. Likewise you can use a pad with a SPE inside if you like. I've spent time exploring optimizations for UQ and pads, but the basic ways work.

The bottom line is that in all respects other than the tarp, the bridge weighs, costs, and is used like other hammocks. And with the tarp, the basic issue is that you need a larger one.

Grizz

Hammock
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

minor updates to "Guide" posted

Since this fall some folks who have tracked the Bridge thread noticed that my later versions are diverging some from the design in the Guide, and have asked me if I'm going to post an update.

The most significant changes since v0.1 are
    • that I'm cutting the body narrow and shorter, with a shallower cut,
    • that we've got the "using hiking poles as spreader bars" thing worked out, at least for a few different types of poles,
    • I've recently found it is "safe" for me to use much shorter suspension triangles---my poles can take it, and
    • I'm sewing in end-caps, rather than velcro-ing on breeze-caps.

So I've updated the Guide to reflect these changes. Rather than re-write what was there before, I mostly added text (in a blue font) to document the design's evolution, and the reasons for it.

Now that I've got a solid winter set-up with v0.3, my quonset hammock hut tarptent, and hammock-sock-big-enough-for-Philadelphia, I've turned my thoughts to a lighter weight summer rig. That should keep me out of trouble for a while.

I've gotten a lot of encouraging comments about the Guide, and the various hare-brained schemes I've nattered on about on HF. Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback. As should be obvious, my designs are significantly influenced by good ideas that HF folks offer. Plus other folks are building Bridge hammocks and doing cool things with them now too. This is a great forum.

For those who wish they could build a Bridge but are intimated by the construction, just remember the immortal words of the Famous French tailor Gusteau, "anyone can sew". All you need is a working machine, time, practice, and help from the HF crowd. You're good to go.

Grizz

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Nice update Grizz. You gave me some ideas about using my hiking poles as spreaders. I put a pad pocket (second layer) on my bridge today. Along with 1/2" wide free magic around the sides for a later bug-net. That math looks pretty scary dealing with the end caps. I'll figure it out with my backwoods engineering.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"