Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    A couple observations with this:
    Are you sure you used a 10' 4x4? considering the perspective of the 8' ladder right next to the stand, I would say that is an 8' 4x4. Unless you bought a 10', then used the extra to make your angled wedges....

The conduit you used, did you actually measure the OD of the pipe at 1 1/2", or is it bought as 1 1/2"? The difference being that conduit spec'd at 1 1/2" is the ID, not the OD. The right size hole saw or spade bit would be ~1 7/8".

Just thought this may clear up some confusion.
    Great design though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden View Post
    A couple observations with this:
    Are you sure you used a 10' 4x4? considering the perspective of the 8' ladder right next to the stand, I would say that is an 8' 4x4. Unless you bought a 10', then used the extra to make your angled wedges....

The conduit you used, did you actually measure the OD of the pipe at 1 1/2", or is it bought as 1 1/2"? The difference being that conduit spec'd at 1 1/2" is the ID, not the OD. The right size hole saw or spade bit would be ~1 7/8".

Just thought this may clear up some confusion.
    Great design though.
    You got me, good eye!

I bought a 10ft 4x4, but did infact cut the wedge off the end so its probably about 9ft now. As far as the pipe, the price tag said 1 3/4", and I bought a 1 3/4" hole saw bit, and it just worked. The best advice is probably find a pipe that you feel is strong enought to support your weight, and then find a drill bit to match. Keep you receipt and drill test holes in scrap wood to see if the pipe fits snuggly.

Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    I just made one of these up this past weekend. I used a 4x4 thats just under 6'. Drilled the holes just shy of 45 degrees and used 1.5" EMT conduit. I think I need to step up to rigid conduit as the EMT flexs quite a bit.

But its far more compact and lighter than my all 2x4 stand.
    I am not a gram weenie. , But Im starting to see the merits!!!

Kris' Splicing

Kris on Facebook

Hammock
    Hennessey
    Insulation
    UQ

Rabbit Ear Stand

Built one today for my Hennessey. I bottomed out. Need extensions now for the conduit. Another foot or so on the conduit would do. Bummer

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Opie & kthompson what length conduit pcs did you use & how far apart are the ends? kt what length 4x4 & what is the tieout height?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"

Hammock
    Hennessey
    Insulation
    UQ

Rabbit Ear Stand

I used five foot lengths of 1 1/2" conduit. A nine foot 4x4. The ends of the poles are 12' apart with the eyebolts about 46" above the 4x4. I eyeballed the angle of the poles based on the photo. needed the space apart since the HH is 10' long. If I was to do it over(as I most likely will) I would have the eyebolts up another 2' at least. Most likely will go with an all metal stand at that point, using my current uprights as feet. Will post photos of that. Want to use premade 90 degree conduit so it can be pulled apart for storage/transport.
    Last edited by kthompson; 05-19-2010 at 21:14.

Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Right now mine are 7'. But Ive got more angle than the OP. IIRC, Ive got 13' from tip to tip. I think I can get away with 6', but I want to see where the bridge hangs on it. My 2x4 stand wouldnt work with a bridge because of the support 2x4 going from the base to the arms.
    I am not a gram weenie. , But Im starting to see the merits!!!

Kris' Splicing

Kris on Facebook

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    onrope buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by kthompson View Post
    I used five foot lengths of 1 1/2" conduit. A nine foot 4x4. The ends of the poles are 12' apart with the eyebolts about 46" above the 4x4. I eyeballed the angle of the poles based on the photo. needed the space apart since the HH is 10' long. If I was to do it over(as I most likely will) I would have the eyebolts up another 2' at least. Most likely will go with an all metal stand at that point, using my current uprights as feet. Will post photos of that. Want to use premade 90 degree conduit so it can be pulled apart for storage/transport.
    kt, any muffler shop can cut/bend/flare tubing...this would get you a lot of flexibility that store bought nineties don't allow.
    Dave

http://www.uark.edu/misc/xtimber/rna/pattonsbluff.html

It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.
    John Steinbeck

Hammock
    Hennessey
    Insulation
    UQ

Rabbit Ear Stand

Thanks Dave. I can get the 90s wholesale. I'll check with my muffler shop, but I'm guessing it will cost more. This was meant to be a budget project.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    onrope buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by kthompson View Post
    Thanks Dave. I can get the 90s wholesale. I'll check with my muffler shop, but I'm guessing it will cost more. This was meant to be a budget project.
    I understand.

The stresses on a 90* bend will be considerable. Procede with caution.
    Dave

http://www.uark.edu/misc/xtimber/rna/pattonsbluff.html

It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.
    John Steinbeck