Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Member DawgU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Collierville TN
    Hammock
    Hennessey Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Mac Cat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB 4 season set
    Suspension
    JRB Complete SS
    Posts
    53

    What size skins do I need?

    Got hooked up on a good deal for a JRB 4 season set to go with my HH Hyperlite.

    What size skins do I need if I'm going to keep my tarp seperate?

    Should I buy skins to fit the 3 season set as I'll use that more often and put the last one in a compression bag?

  2. #2
    Senior Member FanaticFringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lawrenceville, Ga
    Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Posts
    2,424
    Images
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgU View Post
    Got hooked up on a good deal for a JRB 4 season set to go with my HH Hyperlite.

    What size skins do I need if I'm going to keep my tarp seperate?

    Should I buy skins to fit the 3 season set as I'll use that more often and put the last one in a compression bag?
    Are you planning on putting multiple quilts in one skin? That would be really tight. I've only heard of putting 1 quilt plus hammock in skins. I've tried it myself but did'nt like how tight the quilt was compressed. Not exactly sure i understand your question.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

  3. #3
    Member DawgU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Collierville TN
    Hammock
    Hennessey Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Mac Cat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB 4 season set
    Suspension
    JRB Complete SS
    Posts
    53

    How many quilts can I fit in a skin?

    I was going to try to put the quilts inside the skin, but if that doesn't work well then I already have skins that fit the hammock alone. If it does I know I'll have to have larger skins than came with my Hyperlite. Having never used the quilts I don't have any idea how to achieve the simpliest/fastest/best set up with the quilts. Any advice appreciated!

  4. #4
    Senior Member FanaticFringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lawrenceville, Ga
    Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Posts
    2,424
    Images
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgU View Post
    I was going to try to put the quilts inside the skin, but if that doesn't work well then I already have skins that fit the hammock alone. If it does I know I'll have to have larger skins than came with my Hyperlite. Having never used the quilts I don't have any idea how to achieve the simpliest/fastest/best set up with the quilts. Any advice appreciated!
    Probably the best way to use the quilts is to just put them in the compression sack that comes with each quilt. Packs down really small. I've also put my quilt in a compactor bag along with sleeping clothes, etc.
    Here's an interesting thread about the Blackbishop sack:http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ackbishop+sack
    You could try using Hennessy skins #4 and see how you like it with 1 quilt and hammock.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 08-23-2007 at 22:14.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

  5. #5
    Senior Member Cannibal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Posts
    13,919
    Images
    136
    The Blackbishop sack is great! All the benefits of skins and stuff sacks. My hammock and UQ fit with no problems and it took about 15 minutes to make.
    I use the noseeum netting for a tarp skin so I can set-up in a semidry zone.

  6. #6
    slowhike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing & rings
    Posts
    10,595
    Images
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgU View Post
    I was going to try to put the quilts inside the skin, but if that doesn't work well then I already have skins that fit the hammock alone. If it does I know I'll have to have larger skins than came with my Hyperlite. Having never used the quilts I don't have any idea how to achieve the simpliest/fastest/best set up with the quilts. Any advice appreciated!
    i know of at least one person that's spent some time on the trail w/ a DIY snake skin big enough to easily slide over the hammock, under quilt, & top quilt.
    i believe she likes that system for it's simplicity in set up & take down.
    i plan to give it a try.
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

  7. #7
    Senior Member NCPatrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    9,041
    Images
    40
    That's what I'm doing with my Blackbishop sack. Can't get much simpler than cinch buckles or ring buckle suspension and a sack. Just clip on one tree, walk to the other tree and clip, and you're "up". Reverse to take down (stuffing back into the sack on the way).

    In warm weather I can fit my hammock, underquilt, top quilt, and bug bivvy in the sack, and with some "breathing room" to spare.

    Also I have some gear storage in the sack when hammock is deployed -- I have the now empty sack left attached to my suspension I can fill either with gear or with my bug bivvy if that's not needed -- (which always stays attached in case I change my mind).

    I'm not understanding the benefit of the one big snakeskin over the sack...


    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
    - John Burroughs

  8. #8
    slowhike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing & rings
    Posts
    10,595
    Images
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I'm not understanding the benefit of the one big snakeskin over the sack...
    patrick... if you're talking about my post about the lady that used a large skin to hold every thing, i should have said "a set of skins" that over lap.
    some others have talked about using one long skin instead of the traditional, over lapping kind, but i'm not sure if i'd like that any better than the original style.
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

  9. #9
    Senior Member Cannibal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Posts
    13,919
    Images
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I'm not understanding the benefit of the one big snakeskin over the sack...
    I don't use skins on my hammock, but from what I understand reading the various posts on this topic the reason is to avoid having an 'air bubble' in the center created by pushing the ends together. With one large snake, everything is pushed to one end and easier to 'deflate'.

    I've used a BB sack from the start and it's way too easy to even think about switching to skins. I do use skins for my tarp, but I like the idea of a modified BB sack for that too; it's on next week's list.

  10. #10
    Senior Member FanaticFringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lawrenceville, Ga
    Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Posts
    2,424
    Images
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I don't use skins on my hammock, but from what I understand reading the various posts on this topic the reason is to avoid having an 'air bubble' in the center created by pushing the ends together. With one large snake, everything is pushed to one end and easier to 'deflate'.

    I've used a BB sack from the start and it's way too easy to even think about switching to skins. I do use skins for my tarp, but I like the idea of a modified BB sack for that too; it's on next week's list.
    I get the air bubble with my Blackcat in the snakeskins. Not with my hammock.
    No big deal though.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •