Page 3 of 65 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 642
  1. #21
    well, it is a hitch i guess, but the fact that it is not closed (the device) like a ring means you can wrap it in 1 second rather than feeding the rope through the closed ring. a biner is not closed, but i know of no hitch that would work with rings or biners, that would be anywhere near this quick and adjustable. a clove hitch would hold, but is a pain to adjust, the munter can be adjusted easily (thats why they use it for belay/rappel emergency), but it is force from the belay/brake hand that locks the hitch, for a hammock, you would have to tie a seperate knott to perform this "lock off" function, and each time you adjusted it, you would have to untie the lock-off knot and then retie.

    since you would be using tree straps, you couldn't leave it attached to the hammock line, only the straps, which means you would have to re-tie the hitch and the lock off knot each time you set it up. with the new hitch, only the hitch, no lock off.

    so i guess ring buckles or cc buckles are faster than the nine, but only by the amount of time it takes to wrap the nine, like a second for each end, but for that matter i can tie my single sheet bend w/double bight directly to the webbing in about 2 seconds longer per end than it takes to adjust ring buckles. in fact, i bet the total time difference between ring adjustment and sheetbend adjustment is no more than a few seconds if you know how tie one quick, but sometimes it's just fun to play with hardware.



    Quote Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
    Thanks Warbonnet. I just meant the whole concept in general, I didn't mean apply your same wrap to a round connector. Just maybe an adjustable hitch instead that you'd lock after adjusting. Wouldn't something like a Munter hitch on a biner bite onto itself in the same fashion? I need to go try some instead of thinking out loud. But I see how your's is simpler and specific in utilizing the W shape.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 08-26-2007 at 14:12.

  2. #22
    hey pan, went to home depot and picked up some steel rings to try the garda hitch someone on the other thread was talking about, but i picked up another mini 9.

    used the suggested wrap. it bent the exact same way, pinching onto the rope in the process aqain. got no slippage, but the rope was being pinched. anyway, 20 moderate bounces and it broke right at the bottom of the stem, but it broke on the opposite side of the bend. it was the tooth side that bent, but the failure was in the form of a tear on the opposite side of the bottom section, the smooth "hook"

  3. #23
    Peter_pan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    virginia
    Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Posts
    2,699
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    hey pan, went to home depot and picked up some steel rings to try the garda hitch someone on the other thread was talking about, but i picked up another mini 9.

    used the suggested wrap. it bent the exact same way, pinching onto the rope in the process aqain. got no slippage, but the rope was being pinched. anyway, 20 moderate bounces and it broke right at the bottom of the stem, but it broke on the opposite side of the bend. it was the tooth side that bent, but the failure was in the form of a tear on the opposite side of the bottom section, the smooth "hook"

    Warbonnetguy,

    Thanks for the update....


    Seems to me that the figure 9s for suspension has too many issues.... first, it is way beyond manufacture specs use.... Second, is the issue of rope damage, thus use on a long trip could also be catastrophic.... Third, the figure 9 bending could also present real disassembly issues in the field..... Fourth, metal fatigue at normal temps definately needs futher testing for issues at extremes of temp range.

    alternate wrap is cool idea though, could help reduce teeth wear issue.

    Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

    www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

  4. #24
    yeah, i'm guessing the 150# is a safe working load, which means the breaking strength should be quite a bit higher. maybe someone knows how to figure this out?

    if you file off the teeth a bit, even if you just round them some, the chance of rope damage is a non-issue.

    the fact that the mini held as much as it did says alot. the large is 10 x heavier. and it's stem is proportionally bigger as well.

    haven't thought about heat and cold, but i've never heard of the strength of aluminum being affected by normal outside temps.

    i'm not telling everyone it's safe, just that it passed the bounce test in my garage. anyone should certainly test it themselves with their own setup and bodyweight before using in the field, i do feel that it may indeed be plenty strong for use, although only time and use will tell.


    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Warbonnetguy,

    Thanks for the update....


    Seems to me that the figure 9s for suspension has too many issues.... first, it is way beyond manufacture specs use.... Second, is the issue of rope damage, thus use on a long trip could also be catastrophic.... Third, the figure 9 bending could also present real disassembly issues in the field..... Fourth, metal fatigue at normal temps definately needs futher testing for issues at extremes of temp range.

    alternate wrap is cool idea though, could help reduce teeth wear issue.

    Pan

  5. #25
    Senior Member turk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In your browser, on the left holding this pose in real-time, for your amusement
    Hammock
    WBBBH (summer) and WBTH (3 season)
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Posts
    382
    Images
    44
    Just came home from work with a fresh pair of large standard 9's.
    Will get out the file and do some bounce tests in the backyard tonight.
    Let you know how it goes. I am a fair bit heavier at 185lbs.

  6. #26
    Senior Member turk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In your browser, on the left holding this pose in real-time, for your amusement
    Hammock
    WBBBH (summer) and WBTH (3 season)
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Posts
    382
    Images
    44

    Thumbs up The results are in ....




    Fig 9's Large Smooth are completely bomb proof !
    I secured up my HHULBA in record time. In the first 2 pics
    I used some emery cloth to only subdue the teeth on the Figure 9's.
    After only short testing tonight, I saw some signs of abrasion.

    After bouncing and swinging in the hammock, and having my
    daughter pile in for a total of aprox 230lbs, I have absolutely no
    concerns or reservations with the large Fig 9's. I also tried Warbonnets
    backwards wrap because it seemed good and strong but still absurdly
    fast and simple.

    In the 2nd pic, I tried using the Fig 9 across a larger
    axis. I have no idea if this would be stronger or weaker

    In the third pic, I have now used emery cloth to completely remove
    the Fig 9 teeth and also round out the 'V' groove on both sides.
    Now I have no fears at all of abrasion. And to think I almost cut
    my lines and went buckles and webbing. eek!
    This is way lighter, and easily as fast to adjust.
    Now to shave more weight and make them into Warbonnets
    Figure 9 Special Smooth's (F9SS will become the new buzzword acronym)

    This is one sweet setup.! Webbing is out, Fig 9's are in
    spread the word.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by turk; 08-27-2007 at 18:29.

  7. #27
    Senior Member schrochem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Austin,Tx
    Posts
    796
    Images
    57
    Good to hear Turk.
    I was thinking about all this on the way home
    I like the idea of less webbing.
    I was coming up with some crazy ideas but this is by far the simplest.
    Looking back at WBG's F9SS )) it's really just a simple anchor type shape.
    If strength is questionable I'm sure a machine shop could make one rather easily. I might ask a machinist I know about it...
    But I want to go get one of these because I like the idea of less webbing and more rope.
    Good find fellas
    Scott

    "Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

  8. #28

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by turk View Post
    Webbing is out, Fig 9's are in
    spread the word.
    word,

    glad you tried them.

    i was thinking of drilling holes in strategic spots to reduce even more weight than just cutting off unnecessary parts. looks like the way u use them, you might have to leave more metal intact, but you're saving weight by not using tree straps, don't let a ranger catch you doing that.

    what is emery cloth?

  9. #29
    yeah, find out about it, it could be way lighter than my current one. the "flag" looking piece @ the top could be completely removed if there was a tiny eyelit at the top of the stem to tie the attachment cord to, and the stem could be shortened a bit as well, and the anchor hooks could probably be made a bit shorter than the factory one if they went up a little steeper. then you could drill some holes too. i bet you could get one down to 9-10 grams without sacrificing much if any strength (just be careful where you drill those holes).


    Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    Good to hear Turk.
    I was thinking about all this on the way home
    I like the idea of less webbing.
    I was coming up with some crazy ideas but this is by far the simplest.
    Looking back at WBG's F9SS )) it's really just a simple anchor type shape.
    If strength is questionable I'm sure a machine shop could make one rather easily. I might ask a machinist I know about it...
    But I want to go get one of these because I like the idea of less webbing and more rope.
    Good find fellas

  10. #30
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,628
    Images
    564

    Behind Blue Eyes

    Quote Originally Posted by turk View Post
    Fig 9's Large Smooth are completely bomb proof !
    Good report turk.

    "Who's Next" (where "Behind Blue Eyes" appears) is one of my favorite classic rock albums.

    Grizz (behind green eyes)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •