Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG Down
    Suspension
    Dynaglide UCR's
    Posts
    5,250

    Need hang/hike place in MD!

    Ok Lady's and Gent's I need some advise!? I am looking to go out and hang for a weekend in the next month or so and I am looking for some places to go within an hour drive of Baltimore,MD. I might be the only hanger as all my friends (not HF friends) are ground dweller's so I am looking for a place that can accommodate all (tents 'n' hammocks) that has some hiking trail's as well, other than the "AT"! I have searched on here for some idea's but have only found stuff on the AT! There were a couple places that I had looked into (state parks) nearby but got some long pauses about the use of hammocks (and I explained to them (rangers) what I will be using and everything that is involved) and left my contact info with them as no one had an answer for me so they said that they would contact me back with an answer!
    So in short I need some idea's from the HF member's!?!?
    When I find a place you are more than welcome to come along (HF member's are always welcome), and I will post something once I get it all together!!!!!

    Thank's,
    CB

  2. #2
    Senior Member Atreus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    cecil county, MD
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Leigh's 3 Season
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    Posts
    127
    Have you looked into Elkt Neck State Park? North East, MD. Last time I ws there I saw a hanger. Right on the water, a few trails, well kept.

  3. #3
    Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG Down
    Suspension
    Dynaglide UCR's
    Posts
    5,250
    Quote Originally Posted by Atreus View Post
    Have you looked into Elkt Neck State Park? North East, MD. Last time I ws there I saw a hanger. Right on the water, a few trails, well kept.
    No I have not! I will put that down as a place to check out!
    Thank you!!!!

  4. #4
    Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG Down
    Suspension
    Dynaglide UCR's
    Posts
    5,250
    Bump, Bump Any other idea's from the Marylanders???????????

  5. #5
    Crash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Pburg, NJ (On the Delaware River)
    Hammock
    Hennesey Exp. Asym.
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Insultex&Air Core
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    382
    Images
    7

    Gathland

    Gathland state park where we have the MAHHA hang out. tent sites and a lot of trees to hang from , also the AT shelter and privy is right there.
    look at the MAHHA postings for directions and the 'shortcut' into the site. and its a good historic site there.
    "Courage Grows Strong at a Wound" - Stewart Clan Motto

  6. #6
    Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG Down
    Suspension
    Dynaglide UCR's
    Posts
    5,250
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Gathland state park where we have the MAHHA hang out. tent sites and a lot of trees to hang from , also the AT shelter and privy is right there.
    look at the MAHHA postings for directions and the 'shortcut' into the site. and its a good historic site there.
    Yea I knew of this place, but I was trying to get to a place thats not the AT!

  7. #7
    Senior Member Javaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bethesda, MD
    Hammock
    JRB BMBH w/ 2Q 3-zipper mod
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3, HR on top
    Suspension
    WhoOpiesling!
    Posts
    372
    Images
    3
    Check out the C&O Canal website as there are hiker/biker sites all along its length from Harper's Ferry to DC. Stay north of Swain's Lock and you will find lots of choices, many within a couple of miles of parking. For example, Horse Neck (Horse Branch?) is the next one up from Swain's, is right on the river, has good hanging and is a mile hike from parking. You can always hike farther.

  8. #8
    Senior Member opie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    3,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Javaman View Post
    Check out the C&O Canal website as there are hiker/biker sites all along its length from Harper's Ferry to DC. Stay north of Swain's Lock and you will find lots of choices, many within a couple of miles of parking. For example, Horse Neck (Horse Branch?) is the next one up from Swain's, is right on the river, has good hanging and is a mile hike from parking. You can always hike farther.
    Not to mention some great scenery and easy hiking. You can follow the canal from harpers ferry right through Georgetown and into DC along the Potomac.
    I am not a gram weenie. , But Im starting to see the merits!!!

    Kris' Splicing

    Kris on Facebook

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •