DIY Black Cat is finished...almost
I've done a few DIY projects before, including a couple of Ayce's kits at thru-hiker.com, so I figured it was time to have a go at a new tarp.
I worked on it a few nights after the kids were in bed. So I could spend time with them, and so they didn't have to endure the sight of seeing their dad using a sewing machine.
The worst part of the project seemed to be all the cutting involved initially, including the catenary cuts. It wasn't hard, it just seemed to take forever. Once the ridgeline was sewn, the project seemed to go fairly quickly.
I had planned on using grosgrain to finish the edges, but instead decided to just do a rolled edge knowing I could add the grosgrain later if I wanted to. The edges turned out great, so I don't plan on changing them now.
Of course, this is an ongoing project, so I plan on adding a couple of side tie-outs later. The only thing left before its maiden voyage coming up is to seam seal it tomorrow.
I used the Black Cat tutorial found in the articles section, along with the PDF pattern for the catenary cut found in the forums. Both were very helpful, and I'm very grateful for those resources, along with various threads on the forums where I got other ideas including for the ridgeline and tie-outs.
And now, for the obligatory photos:
The sun was VERY bright, so it looks grey, but it's really black silnylon. (Click pics to view them bigger.)
And a few quick shots taken at night. Yes, it really is black.
Very nice, good work jalford
Looks darn fantastic .......
I love my black tarp!
Tags for this Thread