Lightbulb Hot weather hammock

Here in Southeast Asia, we have the opposite problem from you northerners. You seem to spend all your time trying to keep warm. We spend our time trying to keep cool. I have owned a nylon string hammock, which was marginally successful, but I'd like to try using military scrim netting to create a softer, more comfortable hammock. Is there somewhere on-line that I can buy scrim cheaply in a continuous length of a few yards?

My DIY concept is a framed or bridge hammock utilising local bamboo sticks as separators. The primary material would be a scrim net, transitioning into nylon netting at the feet so that I can wear muddy jungle boots inside. The whole thing would be enveloped in a fine black mosquito mesh with ENO-style mozzi suspension and a sort-of HH-style underside velcro entrance. I would use my poncho as a rainfly. I may also incorporate a pack suspender to keep it dry and accessable and act as a built-in stuffsack for the mosquito net.

While were discussing this, what's the best hot weather hammock system on the market?

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    you may want to check out this thread.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...highlight=fans

your mention of a more comfortable hammock brought on a thought... what if you used one of the very light weight net hammocks but made it a double layer hammock by adding a very light weight, very breathable, nylon fabric as the top layer.
    seems that would feel better to lay on, but still let air pass freely.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ZDP-189 View Post
    Here in Southeast Asia, we have the opposite problem from you northerners. You seem to spend all your time trying to keep warm. We spend our time trying to keep cool. I have owned a nylon string hammock, which was marginally successful, but I'd like to try using military scrim netting to create a softer, more comfortable hammock. Is there somewhere on-line that I can buy scrim cheaply in a continuous length of a few yards?

My DIY concept is a framed or bridge hammock utilising local bamboo sticks as separators. The primary material would be a scrim net, transitioning into nylon netting at the feet so that I can wear muddy jungle boots inside. The whole thing would be enveloped in a fine black mosquito mesh with ENO-style mozzi suspension and a sort-of HH-style underside velcro entrance. I would use my poncho as a rainfly. I may also incorporate a pack suspender to keep it dry and accessable and act as a built-in stuffsack for the mosquito net.

While were discussing this, what's the best hot weather hammock system on the market?
    I'm not sure what you mean by "scrim". Just the name alone makes me think that It wouldn't support my 240 lbs.

One thing you might consider is a mosquito net that covers your hammock and drapes to the ground. I use this set-up when I canoe camp in the summer here. I tie my hammock to its ridgeline and it gives me a place to get out of the bugs where I can bathe and cook and relax before bed. Then I can climb into the hammock without having the bugs chew on me. The bamboo is a great idea, very stong and light.

Staying cool has been a main focus of my backpacking for years. I believe that, just as we carry extra weight to stay warm, we should be prepared to carry extra things to keep us cool. Neither hot nor cold is dangerous unless extreme, but, you don't have to be in danger to be miserable. It's no fun to be shivering or sweating all night in my opinion. Alcohol is a great idea and my stove burns 91% iso so I just carry a little extra for 1st aid and hygene. I give myself an entire wipedown with alcohol right before I retire. This cools me off and makes me feel refreshed and really cuts down on the hiker funk. A hammock is the coolest way to sleep during the summer. Except for a pair of silk boxers, I sleep bare skinned in it. Just be sure that you don't get bitten by mosquitos through it. Many people report good results using permethrin on their hammocks but personally I've found the only thing that works for me is a double layer hammock or netting draped to the ground. A 'tube" of netting has also let me down several times by laying flat against the sides of the hammock and offering my arms, thighs and feet for food. I also use Wedding Tulle (there is a large and small mesh, you want the small) as a bug net instead of no seeum netting. This allows much more airflow than standard netting for a fraction of the weight. I treat mine with permethrin and have had no problems with mosquitos or no seeums getting through. At first I thought it would be too fragile but I have used it for over three years and have never had a piece tear in the field. I don't feel it is any more delicate than other lightweight gear I have. I also carry a fan. I have a Coleman tent fan that I have cut down and changed to AA power instead of a D cell. It weighs 2.2 oz. (w/o battery) and will run a long time on one battery. It also puts out the most air of any battery fan that I've tried. I usually run it until I cool off enough that I am no longer sweating. It hangs from the ridgeline in my hammock. I ordered a silk liner yesterday that I'm planning to open on one side like a quilt. I have used a Neat Sheet for years to cover with if I get cool in the early morning hours. I'm replacing with silk because of packing volume, not a fuction issue. It started out as two layers but I ripped the stitching out (it took quite a while) and divided the layers. There are pics of the fan in the gallery. Good luck staying cool. I find it is much harder than it seems in areas of low elevation and high humidity. A combination of these things work pretty well for me. I hope something here can help you. Oh yea, you do great work. Nice knives and a shop That I would love to have! Wecome to the group.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Thanks for the welcome and the good advice, I like the idea of a fly-to-floor mesh and have been thinking along those lines myself.

I seem to remember coming across some info in the forums about someone who made a hammock using silk.

The material is expensive for sure, but silk is a cool material.
    I've cut it twice and it's still too short.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roverdisc1 View Post
    I seem to remember coming across some info in the forums about someone who made a hammock using silk.

The material is expensive for sure, but silk is a cool material.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=silk+hammock
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

• + New Posts