WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'

Cuben overcover

Im going to be ordering 9 yards of cuben (the minimum unfortunately) because i want to make a clone of the lightest quilt in the world (the one tim marshall makes with momentum and cuben). Im gonda do my best to copy it. Im also going to make a weathershield for the bottom with the excess and an overshield for the top as well, eventually an uq, tarp, and hammock too-hope to get weight with hammock + tq +uq + tarp at 3.5lbs or less for winter.

ANYWAY, my question is this: Wouldn;t making an overcover out of cuben-non breatheable-significantly boost the temp inside my hammock at very little weight cost?

I will keep you guys updated on these projects when i decide to order cuben and get started.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Since, as you noted, the cuben is non-breathable, I'd expect you'd likely get wet. Your body moisture would rise during the night, hit the cuben barrier, condense, and fall back upon you.

I did make an overshield from breathable 1.1 nylon and did find that it raised the temperature and was quite comfortable.

But if you try it and it works; please let us know. That'd be a great way to save a few ounces!
    David

The road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with weary feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.
    -Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

There have been a couple overcovers that have been made out of non-breathable material, you need to have a way for the material to vent, ie.. a hole cut in the center of the material to act as a vent is one way, I do believe this is the way that it is done on the HH overcover!? You could also if you have the materials is do the same as the TQ that you are making and put in a strip of momentum!? Or something along these lines so there is a way for it to breathe!!! Let us know what you decide on with all these project's, and "WE WANT PIC'S"!!!!

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    I was thinking overcover w/ vents(not cut, has to be in the design itself), uq and tq cuben w/ LARGE momentum strip(summer), smaller strip for winter versions. In summer i just dont trust the idea of a non-breatheable setup that much, so im going to have significantly more momentum than tim's versions. Bear, i decided to go with cuben like you recommended, if im gonna go light and take off 2 oz with momentum and pay for it, i might as well go lighter and take off 6-7 with cuben.

Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    if im gonna go light and take off 2 oz with momentum and pay for it, i might as well go lighter and take off 6-7 with cuben.
    Very true!!!! Good to hear you are getting thing's straightened out! From what I gather here lately you've been on a tear to get thing's as light as possible! Can't wait to see your final results, as I might adopt some of them myself!?!?!?!

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Cranky, Im trying to get things as light as possible w/o sacrificing comfort. For example, cutting straps off my pack because its so comfy and i don't want to give it up for a silnylon stuff sack with shoulder straps. Comfort as light as possible is the way i do it. Right now taking all the things i want to take, all my luxuries(which is alot), im at about 14lbs summer w/o food and water, 18lbs winter w/o food and water, and i can still lighten up. People always say you have to sacrifice comfort for lightness, im trying to buck that trend and have both. This week or next i plan on cranking out a gear list for someone who sent me a request for one, i've got all my things written down, just have yet to make an excel file, been so busy, expect that soon too.

Its basically going to be a vapor barrier.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Ike, I'm not sure where your at on diy skills?
    My suggestion would be to practice on some cheap fabric first. I'd hate to see you tackle a complex project like a quilt, without prior experience.
    And investing a lot of moola on some cuben and momentum. Give it whirl with some cheapo stuff first. You can work out any bugs in the pattern, gain some experience, etc. without wrecking a bunch of good, expensive fabric.
    Good luck.

Just a suggestion.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I recommend making a sock rather than an over cover and under cover.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Ike, I'm not sure where your at on diy skills?
    My suggestion would be to practice on some cheap fabric first. I'd hate to see you tackle a complex project like a quilt, without prior experience.
    And investing a lot of moola on some cuben and momentum. Give it whirl with some cheapo stuff first. You can work out any bugs in the pattern, gain some experience, etc. without wrecking a bunch of good, expensive fabric.
    Good luck.

Just a suggestion.
    Of course i will be practicing on cheap fabric first! Gonna goto the dollar bin at walmart spend a few days messing around, besides, i dunno if tim sews his quilts anyway, will have to ask him. Seems like you could bond them just fine-might be heavier though. Besides if it gets bad, my wife is a filipino sewing wizard who makes her own clothes and has sewn gear for me before, i can always have her do it, she loves to anyway.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast