Polls on the NX 150/250

I am curious if anyone has had any issues with their polls on this version? I am seriously leaning towards this model, but would be interested in your experience with the polls. Additionally, since I do long distance kayaking, can the hammock be used efficiently should a poll become damaged? I also saw the threads on setting up a 250 on the ground, but never saw any pictures. Ideally I would like to be able to use this in lieu of my bivvy sack, thus eliminating another piece of gear from my kit.

Thanks in advance,

Glenn

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    10X10 or 12X12
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Images
    The only issue you might have with the poles are that they might possibly get dropped and lost. They blend in pretty well. I doubt you'd break one, but stranger things have happened, and it's good that you're planning for that just in case.

You can improvise set-up without the poles, no problem. It would basically make both the 150 and 250 like the standard, poleless NA model. Some cord to suspend the netting/Weathershield on each end would work fine. The poles main function seem to be keeping the "canopy" well spread out to the sides and above.

I kayak camp quite a bit, too...I wanted to modify my poles to make them shorter (for ease of packing) and harder to lose. I cut the pole sections down, and "encased" them in hollow-core polyester (or nylon, I'm not exactly sure) line/rope. I made a post about it here ...Sorry, I don't have any pics of the set-up for better detail, yet. Things have been hectic around here and I haven't had the time.
    Yesterday's tomorrow is tomorrow's yesterday. It's the only day that counts.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark camo NX200
    Insulation
    Z-liner,TR Neo-Air
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hello Glenn,i have the NX250 camo and i wouldnt use it on the ground as a bivy,for the simple fact that it is not as weaterproof as a Gortex Bivy for ground dwelling.
    As for the fiberglass rods,i was told by Clark that they are almost unbreakable and the only issue one would encounter in the wild would be to loose one and not being able to set it properly.
    In that case,i would just use a branch that i would fashion on the spot to have my hammock the way i like it.
    You could also use your hammock even without these rods installed,it would just be a little more claustrophobic,thats all.
    Im new to hammocking and for this season,i will be carrying both options,my trusted Bivy bag which ive been using for a decade or so(1 new bivy bag every year) and my NX250.I dont expect to sleep on the ground at all this summer but heh,you never know what can develop during a hiking trip so might as well be prepared with a couple options.

C-O-P

• + New Posts