Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member Roadtorque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    1,117

    Overstuffed JRB TQ question

    The jacks are out of town so I will post the question here. I'm looking at purchasing a quilt (Shenandoah or Stealth) and am wondering about getting it overstuffed. On my MT. Washington 4 I've noticed only about 3/4 of the quilt is full of down, I dont want my next quilt to be like this. The jacks dont suggest overstuffing the quilt because it can shorten it by 6-8 inches. Im 6'3'' and am wondering if anyone could tell me if the tall quilt will become to short for me if I get it overstuffed.

    As side question. How well do the "long" versions of the quilts act as UQs? Are they harder to suspend below the hammock?

  2. #2
    canoeski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South-central Wisconsin
    Hammock
    HH UExpl; WBBB; JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    CCS; HH Hex; WB Su
    Insulation
    MW-3, Sierra Sniv
    Suspension
    Woopie, Dutch Clip
    Posts
    319
    I just got the Shenandoah (reg length) with 1 oz of overstuff to use as a warm weather under quilt. I am not tall, so I can't answer whether it will be too short for you. I think it's pretty light to use a TQ any season where I go (nights into the 40's anytime). The wider Sierra Sniveler with 1 oz over stuff is my go-to TQ. I love it! Spent the last 3 nights with this combo in a HH with an undercover; comfortable down to low 40's despite heavy rain and thunderstorms!

    I would think you could use any long quilt as an UQ since the JRB's have nice draw strings on each end to gather them up.
    Not all who wander are lost.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Roadtorque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    1,117
    Quote Originally Posted by canoeski View Post
    I just got the Shenandoah (reg length) with 1 oz of overstuff to use as a warm weather under quilt. I am not tall, so I can't answer whether it will be too short for you. I think it's pretty light to use a TQ any season where I go (nights into the 40's anytime). The wider Sierra Sniveler with 1 oz over stuff is my go-to TQ. I love it! Spent the last 3 nights with this combo in a HH with an undercover; comfortable down to low 40's despite heavy rain and thunderstorms!

    I would think you could use any long quilt as an UQ since the JRB's have nice draw strings on each end to gather them up.
    How "stuffed" is the shenandoah with 1 extra ounce in it? I judge my quilt by lofting it up and holding it lengthwise to see how much dead airspace where there is no down at the top of the quilt where my hands are. I'm trying to figure out how much overstuff, if any, will be required to fill the quilt without shortening the quilt because the down can no longer expand along the baffle.

  4. #4
    MAD777's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY down 3/4 UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Dutch
    Posts
    8,563
    Images
    39
    If you overstuff a quilt to the point that each baffle is completely inflated, the length of the quilt will be 64% of the original length. That's the maximun shrinkage possible mathematically. But, for your question, look at the quilt you have and estimate the percentage it would take to fill it so that it still lays flat. If your estimate is 10%, then add 10% to the quilt that you want to order.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Roadtorque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    1,117
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    If you overstuff a quilt to the point that each baffle is completely inflated, the length of the quilt will be 64% of the original length. That's the maximun shrinkage possible mathematically. But, for your question, look at the quilt you have and estimate the percentage it would take to fill it so that it still lays flat. If your estimate is 10%, then add 10% to the quilt that you want to order.
    Great point. I would guess 10% of each baffle remains empty.

  6. #6
    Senior Member lazy river road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Posts
    3,237
    Images
    152
    If your not commited to buying from JRB then id consider Stormcrows quilts over at perfect trees.

    http://www.theperfecttrees.com/

    Their are a few design differences between the vendors but I believe they are minimal. The reason that I suggested Perfect Trees is because Stormcrow (Adam) makes custom quilts. Meaning that you could order a TQ with the length and weight in down you would like with out having to worry about if the quilt is going to be to short or not. Just another option if you like.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

    Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Roadtorque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    1,117
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    If your not commited to buying from JRB then id consider Stormcrows quilts over at perfect trees.

    http://www.theperfecttrees.com/

    Their are a few design differences between the vendors but I believe they are minimal. The reason that I suggested Perfect Trees is because Stormcrow (Adam) makes custom quilts. Meaning that you could order a TQ with the length and weight in down you would like with out having to worry about if the quilt is going to be to short or not. Just another option if you like.
    The major put off is no information on his site about his top quilt. Price, weight, and so forth. I understand I could custom order from him or te-wa but I really like being able to see the product before buying it.

  8. #8
    Member J_Squared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Hammock
    WBBB D1.1
    Tarp
    McCat Spn Deluxe
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ Te-wa TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Posts
    66
    Images
    11
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=10012&page=2

    This forum has the Te-Wa quilt I got copied for myself in long. It weighed in at just over 1lb and was comfortable down into the 30s for me so far. Great weight to warmth to price!

  9. #9
    Peter_pan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    virginia
    Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Posts
    2,698
    Images
    2
    Roadtorque,

    We are safely back... PM you phone number and we will call you tomorrow afternoon.

    Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

    www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •