HH Xped w/2QZQ#4 and HH ULBA
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG Phoenx|7DBurrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings/DCs

ideal hanging span for HH?

i'm planning to sink a 6x6 in my backyard to form a triangle with 2 other trees so that we can hang our 2 hammocks...a HH Exped and a HH ULBA.

i never thought to measure the distance between the trees that i've set up in and now i'm wondering how far to sink the post from the trees?

anyone know the ideal span?

Images
    I would think anywhere from 12 feet absolute minimum to 16 or so max. I would lean towards the closer, probably 13 or 14 feet, unless you think you might later start using longer hammocks, then go a little longer. The one I used for many years was 15 feet, all of my hammocks are somewhat longer. (HH Explorer and Safari, Claytor No net, etc) But that always gave me MORE than enough room.

But, in my experience, the shorter the distance, the less the additional sag towards the ground after you get in. Easier to stay up off the ground without having to attach so high up. With a long stretch- say 18 feet- there is going to be very significant downward drift when you get in. This will require attaching much higher on the uprights. Of course, this can be done. But sometimes it can be a bit of a hassle. And the hassle rapidly increases much over 15 feet, and 20 or 22 feet can be a real challenge. I have had to deal with this in the woods, by using a hiking pole to raise my webbing high on the tree. But you wouldn't want to have to fool with that all the time at home.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    You might want to consider a round pole instead of the 6x6...those square corners cannot be good for tree straps.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    I think 12' is absolute minimum and suggest 13 - 15 feet. You may want to throw up a larger and/or cheaper tarp for more coverage and skip the UV damage to the HH tarp.

Your weight might be an issue too ... the closer to the max weight rating the closer the anchors IMHO.

Edit -- I believe there is an ideal 'range' for the distance not a specific distance and it depends on your weight and personal preferences. With my weight at 190, I prefer the HHBP to have about 13-14 ft. Tho I do not notice much, if any, difference from 15 - 16 above that I do but still manage comfortably. I prefer to pitch fairly close to anchors but usually use a larger tarp.
    Last edited by riverkeeper; 05-15-2010 at 12:58. Reason: Yada Blah
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    LARGE!
    Insulation
    DIY Bag UQ
    Suspension
    Nacras an Whoopies
    Go the square pole as its stronger, but install eyebolts. Then you can skip the tree huggers/straps and just tie off the susp. lines to the eye.

My 2c
    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Hard to say what ideal is, but all of the previous posts are in the ballpark. Just know that the closer the posts the less practical the Hennessy Prussic knots become for the standard fly. There simply isn't enough suspension line to stretch the tarp longitudinally with close trees. Eyebolts should work fine on a round post, which would give you two options--both are excellent suggestions.

• + New Posts