Black DIY dual zipper
    Tarp
    Black DIY 10'X12'
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Traverse View Post
    Many thanks to the "Hammock Guys" Hedcase, Skippy, Cookie, Nooner, Capt Bill, Hangin' Burrito and Running Feather I met on Linville Gorge Shortoff Mountain Trail. They made a convert to the hammock system of backpacking.
    Welcome! I knew when you were already in a hammock you'd be a convert,, especially with a bunch of hangers coming up behind us!

Yes, it was a hard, rigorous, wonderful weekend for all of us. Many, many thanks to Tinker for organizing this. It literally sickened me to hear that he couldn't join all of us . The Gorge is definitely a true wilderness, with all of it's harsh realities. Without a doubt though, I know that Jerry will be at the Fall hang!

I'll post pics in a little while.
    "Is this the best you've got?!!" (Shortoff Mtn., Linville Gorge 2010)

"Life is tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid!".....(John Wayne)

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Running Feather View Post
    That must have been Glorious, watching Mother Nature strut her stuff, while puckering of certain body parts in others.

Blame HB. He quoted lieutenant Dan (Forest Gump) from under his tarp, "You call this a storm?"
    My first thought was to express confidence in the powers that my newly dawned Swiss poncho-cape delivered by standing and shouting "Is that the best you've got?!" However, just prior to making that move, two nice bolts landed not far to either side of us on the narrow ridge. I decided instead to sit and determine whether or not I had "soiled my armor".

Sorry to hear about your injury Jerry. Soundwitness and I had more of an ad hoc approach to the others. Stormcrow is the only other member that I saw on the trail, and I wasn't sure whether I was hallucinating at that point of my surreal weekend.

If I were able to write a trip report, it would take some chunk of time to try to cram it all in there. It was, scorched, lightning filled, steep, treacherous, rattle snake decorated, tough, and humbling...and I loved every bit of it. (I suppose masochism is an acquired taste.)

Now I just need to see how MacEntyre liked my DIY hammock last night and what everyone else did.

Sorry you missed out Jerry. It's probably better that happened closer to the trailhead than deep down in there. Hopefully you can heal up well and be ready for another one soon.

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images

...What a ride!

The day had finally come. I picked up the Hangin' Burrito ~6AM and off we headed to Luisa's for some obligatory pre-Gorge Strawberry-Rhubarb pie.

We arrived at Luisa's and sat down for our second breakfast of the day. Our lovely young waitress, Rachel, came back from the kitchen with a somber look on her face. "I'm sorry. We're out of Strawberry-Rhubarb pie." (Gulp - first portent)

"There are going to be a bunch of really upset people coming through that door real soon." I said. - No, wait! Anybody that comes through that door asking for Strawberry-Rhubarb pie, just point to our table and say, "They ate it all!" ()

We were shortly joined by Headcase and Skippy, had a bunch MORE pie and moseyed to the trail-head to kick things off.

The rest of our merry band arrived as well as Shug, Hickery, and the Turk, returning from the completed loop.

We took Jerry's news with a heaviness in our hearts. He did so much to make this happen. Kudos Jerry! Shug and Hickery gave us a bunch of intel on what was before us and advised a hike out to Shortoff, camp, double back, go down Spence and head South, as it would be an arduous task to try and complete the loop within our time frame, and still have time to lolly-gag. (at all)

After the photo shoot we let out for Table Rock. The trail was well groomed and up hill all the way. We opted out on the Table Rock trail to save it for the next day when (we thought) we would be coming back that way with an earlier start on the day. We continued on by the Chimneys, Chimney Gap, and out along the ridge to Shortoff Mountain. It was breath taking. (sorry I didn't take more photos but HB was snapping away like a Japanese tourist. I figured I'd mooch off his camera!)

Mother Nature had been good to us all day and gave us omens of things to come. Dark clouds rushing in and by, thunder in the distance. That kind of thing. Most of us made it to the campsite and got set up before the weather started changing for the worse. Although everyone was all but out of water, putting up a shelter was the first order of business. I think everyone was hunkered down when it hit. Best light show I've 'seen up close and personal' in a looong time It was POURING Winds whipping, hail, thunder, lightning. The whole shootin' match On one occasion the thunder and crackle were almost simultaneous. WAY TOO CLOSE TOGETHER. - a head count was certainly in order.

HB and I knew Saturday was going to be a long hard day if we were going to make it up to the Conley Cove campsite so we departed at 7AM. We descended down to the river through beautiful fields of waist high new growth, pines, and endless roots and rocks. (About 1700' in 2.5 miles) We crossed the river and headed up the MTS for the Leadmine Trail-head.

Here's a look back at Shortoff, shortly after we crossed the river, across the Gorge.

Anything you've heard about the Leadmine trail has been understated - not exaggerated. Those three 'gullies' were ominous ravines with debris (broken glasses etc.) at the bottom from previous attempts at crossing. Several times we just looked at one another and laughed. "We're supposed to do WHAT now?" Straight down. Just follow the skid/slide marks. Then straight up. Just turn into a mountain goat.

The LVG trail started out as manna from heaven. Well groomed undulating trail was truly a gift at this point. I turned to HB as the trail took on a new look and said, "We're about to be 'gifted'. The rest of the way is gonna be gifts you'd rather return if you could." These last few miles we were in "Safe-Mode". That means, "Don't get hurt/die now in the home-stretch."

A gazelle (antelope of the genus Gazella and allied genera, of Africa and Asia, noted for graceful movements) named Stormcrow slowed down to talk for a few minutes kibitz and give us intel on some of those behind us, and then sprang over the next hill.

Here's the kicker: Stormcrow had started out at Spence, where we did the day before, and eclipsed ALL of us within eight hours (or so). Through all this he took time to stop and talk with everyone he passed, donate water, give direction, and encourage the nearly defeated. This guy has a "S" on his chest or he's some sort of super human. (Current pole results show 75/25 in favor of extra-terrestrial) - My hat is forever off to you Stormcrow

The remainder of the LVG trail to camp was a summation of all the treachery we had traversed thus far - Roots, rocks, ups, downs, the 'Rock Garden' (I'm sorry Hawk-eye. I nearly peed my pants when you called that a Rock Garden) and anything save rappelling. We made camp about a half mile short of the intended site but were more than happy to doff our packs and call it a day.

As rigor-mortice was setting in we set up camp and waited for the others, whomever they be, to come in to camp. Hawk-eye, Ken, and Jim joined us all after dinner at the campfire and we had a great time. The weather was sweet. Nice and cool with a gentle breeze. Perfect weather for hammocking under the stars.

The campfire is my favorite part of a Gorge trip. All had survived the Trial by Fire and come out on the other side. That's a bond that can't be broken. Each had hiked the same trails (at least some of us ) but had a unique experience which was shared by the fire. Add a few tall tales and more wood to the fire and it doesn't get any better.

Sunday,the last day, is always poignant. We talked as we broke camp and then headed out for the final leg of the journey. As we came to the intended site we met up with Stormcrow, Shug, Hickery, Cooldays. and EagleJ.

We headed on up to the Spence Trail had a makeshift lunch and ascended up and out.

Cookie had his motor on for the last few miles!

CapitalBill strolling in as if he'd just walked the dog.

HB, CapitalBill, Cookie, and I went to Luisa's and had an enormous lunch, ate the rest of their strawberry-rhubarb pie, a bunch more pie and headed home.

Thank you everyone most of all.
    Last edited by Running Feather; 05-18-2010 at 04:57.
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    El dorado
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Just wanted to say how much that I enjoyed meeting everyone and seeing old friends again. Linville Gorge is a incredible place to visit.
    The trail was the most difficult that I have ever walked, seems like it was either straight up, straight down, or rock scrambling. It was an adventure that I will remember for a long time.
    Thanks Tinker for putting this one together and I hope your knee gets well soon.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Posted this on the trip planning thread:

Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre
    Just got home... not showered yet. I wanted to offer some interesting numbers.

21 HF people entered the Gorge
    4 or more people sustained some kind of injury
    4 or more people had to bushwack to find the trail
    1 rest day was required halfway through the loop
    9 or more people ate at Louise's Rockhouse twice
    3 people are still in the Gorge tonight!

I am sure there are more numbers that will illustrate how tough the Gorge can be! I was only there overnight, but on the way in I collected different stories from folks who were heading home. When I got to the river, the entire crew was resting, and they needed it!

More later...
    - MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Great trip!!!
    I was a little concerned about how all was going to work out with so many people coming from different directions & at different times, as well as it being the first time in the gorge for some.
    Looking at those trails on a map will sure fool you

I could tell that Jerry was heart broken about his injury early in the trip, & it broke our hearts too. We thought about you often bro!

More to come, including pictures & videos.
    And Shug had a Birth Day while he was down there!!! How cool is that!
    And thanks to Shug, Hickery, & Storm Crow for remembering my up-coming birth day by leaving this note & candles at the car!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Anything hanging in the living room
    Does anyone know of the whereabouts of Stormcrow? As far as I know, he was supposed to return Sunday evening, but nary a sight nor sound from him. He's very good about keeping in touch, so when he's not, I know he's likely out of cell service. Wasn't sure if he and Shug decided to run off and play down there for a couple more days. He talked about trying to get a few more days of hiking in, and I encouraged him, so that's likely what happened. Shug's cell is also off, which is why I'm thinking they're running around somewhere raising trouble. I'm not too worried, since he is very capable, but didn't know if someone heard a rumor of anyone extending their hang. No worries, please... Just looking for any word of what's up.

Hammock
    Nevermind folks - I found Mac's comment in the other thread that the 3 Musketeers are playing Tom Sawyer out there a little while longer. Awesome.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl & WB XLC
    Tarp
    OESMCD W/PMOD
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, JRB HR TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Nevermind folks - I found Mac's comment in the other thread that the 3 Musketeers are playing Tom Sawyer out there a little while longer. Awesome.
    Thorwren, YOU are awesome! Stormcrow is a lucky fellow!

Wander'nFool
    "It's a wanderful life."

Hammock
    Aww, thanks! But wouldn't you agree, there's nothing better than hiking/hanging, and he comes home in a good mood that lasts almost until the next hang, lol.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast