Insulation
    Bag and Pad
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    I gues your gonna have to change your youtube to this:

ArsonGroundDweller

I like a good tent in the right circumstances, above tree line, cold, really windy, etc. But if possible i always prefer a hammock
    Yeah, I totally screwed myself there.
    Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ArsonHammockHanger

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Arson View Post
    Yeah, I totally screwed myself there.
    I have no scientific knowledge about this, but I know for me, acclimation is critical. I intentionally sleep in my hammock at home from about April to November because I know when I am in the woods I won't have to acclimate to a new sleeping environment. When you think of how many nights you spent in a bed, it is little wonder you require some effort to change. Your weight is distributed differently, your organs align differently, bloodflow is altered, hells bells, from a physiological perspective there is much that is different from a flat bed.

I have a hard time going from our water bed to a conventional bed. So, I guess I would say give yourself some forgiveness and know that it is ok not to go to sleep easily. Concern about it creates even more anxiety. It is what it is. Accept it, and perhaps with the effort of all the other suggestions, someday soon, you will snooze successfully between trees.

If you don't, that is ok, just spend time in the woods. That is what is most important.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I also find it easier to sleep in a hammock if I acclimate. Usually I spend a night or two each week in the hammock and it seems to keep me able to sleep on my back (I am a stomach sleeper in bed.) Sounds like you can't get acclimated though - hope you can find a way around this problem.

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle/ WBBB
    Tarp
    3x4 rain fly
    Insulation
    Segmented pad/bag
    Suspension
    whoopi slings
    Images
    Duct tape three 3' rods across your chest, hips, and shins. You can fix ANYTHING with duct tape...

Quote Originally Posted by mitch View Post
    Duct tape three 3' rods across your chest, hips, and shins. You can fix ANYTHING with duct tape...
    At that point, why bother with the hammock? Just run a couple of lengths of webbing between the trees and hang off the rods.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    PLUQ perhaps
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hiker_DC View Post
    Please for the love of your spine, DON'T sleep on your stomach. Keep trying, stomach sleeping is just as hard, if not harder, of a habit to break as smoking. Good posture while sleeping is just as important as good posture when we are standing, sitting, walking, running . . . . . You will spend roughly 1/3 of your life asleep: do it properly.

As far as falling asleep there are a few things you might try. The first is standardized valerian root. It has to be standardized so that you know you are getting the right amount. Valerian is a MILD non-habit forming sedative. Just enough to calm the brain down, but not enough to warrant the standard label of "do not operate heavy machinery blah blah blah" or totally knock you out. This stuff stinks and I keep my bottle inside a ziplock bag. Also, most people with sleep disturbances are deficient in magnesium. The best form to take is magnesium malate (aka malic acid). Try one or the other at a time. I have had patients take both after having a little success with each separately. The result was like valium: dead to the world. As always, if you deside on supplements, please consult the physician of your choice and take as directed on the bottle.

Hope this helps

Doc
    What's that about - sleeping on your stomach is bad for your back? Well - in a hammock, I'm sure that's true but on a bed? How come?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    MatCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    MW3, JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Straps, Webbing

sounds like

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    get a tent and sleep happily ever after
    You just don't like to hang bro....btw bring that tent this weekend at meriwether Lewis park, cause I may need to use it.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    OK, I can't, that's CAN NOT sleep on my stomach, but having lay in the JRB bridge I have to say it's much like a bed in flatness. Yea, I know "no one mentioned it" but from experience, & being with a back sleeper who also tested it, the judgment is, go with the bridge, or as also suggested, give it some time you may switch. I could only lay in it about 10 minutes & my back started to hurt, just like in my bed.

If inclined, there are instructions on making your own bridge somewhere here at HF.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    GTSBP
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Bag and Pad
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Grizz is sending me a bridge hammock to try out. Everyone's concerns are touching. This forum has drawn me to hammock camping more than the actual hammock. Hopefully I love the bridge.
    Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ArsonHammockHanger

Hammock
    JRB BMBH w/ 2Q 3-zipper mod
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3, HR on top
    Suspension
    WhoOpiesling!
    Images
    I have some of the same sleep issues you describe even tho I have a HH fully tricked out with 2Q/ZQ mods. I find I never quite get the blissful sleep others describe. I drift in and out of mid-level sleep.

So, like any good gear head, I bought a JRB BMBH and sent it up to ZQ to work her magic.

In the meantime I have been more aware of my normal sleep position and find I am decidedly a side to stomach sleeper. I am accused (of course not confirmed by an independent third party) that I snore if sleeping on my back.

This weekend is my first hang in the BMBH and we'll see how it goes. I'll be sure to post if I need to put the BMBH up for sale

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast