Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: new speer tarp

  1. #1
    slowhike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing & rings
    Posts
    10,595
    Images
    319

    new speer tarp

    dave womble (youngblood) has been working w/ ed speer on a new tarp design that should soon be available through speer hammocks.

    it's design allows it to be closed on the ends to provide wind protection... especially important in cooler weather.
    it can be closed a little... or a lot.

    i watched & helped as dave demonstrated how it works.
    it's much simpler to work w/ than his 1st tarp tent.
    it does require 8 stakes when used as intended, but i suspect the corners that form the doors could be rolled up & velcroed out of the way, only requiring 4 stakes when the ends aren't needed.

    it can be hung high & wide in fair weather, but gives a great deal of protection when the weather gets bad.

    i don't know what the finished weight will be but it shouldn't be much more than other larger sil tarps being used.

    if i remember correctly, the ridge was about 11' long, but you can see in the pictures how it cuts back w/ the curved edges on the ends.
    it started out w/ a 5' wide piece of sil on each side before the curves were cut & hemmed, so it should be at least 9' wide in the small of the curves.

    side view http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P9150019.JPG

    corner view http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P9150020.JPG

    end mostly closed http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P9150026.JPG

    dave exiting the mostly closed end http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P9150025.JPG

    closer shot of mostly closed end, showing crosed guy lines http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P9150029.JPG

    if the tarp is wet or fully closed (over lapped) you can just unhook the guy line from the stake to enter & exit.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P9150027.JPG

    it can be re-hooked from inside the tarp. http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P9150028.JPG
    Last edited by slowhike; 09-16-2007 at 20:18.
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

  2. #2
    looks like a solid design.

    do the hemmed edges have something (webbing) in them like the one i had at td's? or are they just regular hemmed edges?

  3. #3
    Senior Member FanaticFringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lawrenceville, Ga
    Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Posts
    2,424
    Images
    34
    Would really help with windblown rain and rolling fog issues.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

  4. #4
    neo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    nashville,tennessee
    Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Posts
    4,156
    Images
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    dave womble (youngblood) has been working w/ ed speer on a new tarp design that should soon be available through speer hammocks.

    it's design allows it to be closed on the ends to provide wind protection... especially important in cooler weather.
    it can be closed a little... or a lot.

    i watched & helped as dave demonstrated how it works.
    it's much simpler to work w/ than his 1st tarp tent.
    it does require 8 stakes when used as intended, but i suspect the corners that form the doors could be rolled up & velcroed out of the way, only requiring 4 stakes when the ends aren't needed.

    it can be hung high & wide in fair weather, but gives a great deal of protection when the weather gets bad.

    i don't know what the finished weight will be but it shouldn't be much more than other larger sil tarps being used.

    if i remember correctly, the ridge was about 11' long, but you can see in the pictures how it cuts back w/ the curved edges on the ends.
    it started out w/ a 5' wide piece of sil on each side before the curves were cut & hemmed, so it should be at least 9' wide in the small of the curves.

    side view http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P9150019.JPG

    corner view http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P9150020.JPG

    end mostly closed http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P9150026.JPG

    dave exiting the mostly closed end http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P9150025.JPG

    closer shot of mostly closed end, showing crosed guy lines http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P9150029.JPG

    if the tarp is wet or fully closed (over lapped) you can just unhook the guy line from the stake to enter & exit.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P9150027.JPG

    it can be re-hooked from inside the tarp. http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P9150028.JPG
    to bad its not camo lol neo

  5. #5
    slowhike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing & rings
    Posts
    10,595
    Images
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    looks like a solid design.

    do the hemmed edges have something (webbing) in them like the one i had at td's? or are they just regular hemmed edges?
    i believe they are just hemmed edges.
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

  6. #6
    slowhike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing & rings
    Posts
    10,595
    Images
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    to bad its not camo lol neo
    they might make ya one(G).

    and that's not the color they will be. dave said he just likes using a light color for prototypes because it's easier to see the marks.
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

  7. #7
    Senior Member whitefoot_hp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    georgia
    Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    DIY 8x 10 silnylon
    Insulation
    50* p pod
    Posts
    241
    Images
    5
    i think those triangles could be added to anyone's current tarp...

  8. #8
    Senior Member lvleph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    RVA
    Posts
    717
    Images
    9
    Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't youngblood just use his MacCat and add these?

  9. #9
    looks like the seams are straight there, using a cat cut there would be problematic.


    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't youngblood just use his MacCat and add these?

  10. #10
    slowhike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing & rings
    Posts
    10,595
    Images
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't youngblood just use his MacCat and add these?
    no, i don't think he used a mac cat tarp, but the main body shape is a similar shape... except there's a strait line from the middle tie outs to the ridge line, not a cat cut.
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •