Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Here are a couple thoughts from someone who made a wrong decision.

I went a little too light on the insulation for a stretch and had to shelter a few nights. Not too much fun with a ccp. I think when I get back I am going to play around with a DAM as my bottom insulation. That way I will still be comfortable on the ground.

There are places where you are just not going to hammock. Not because you can't, but because you want to. The Huts in the whites and Cloud Pond Lookout a few weeks ago for me off the top of my head. There are also some really great cowboy camping opportunities if you are setup for it.

Oh and don't listen to anyone when they mention the Whites as a reason not to hammock. There is only 3 or so ridge walks where there are no trees. And no one camps up there. It is only something like 14 miles across Washington with 2 huts to stay at and a visitors center to stop at, and a couple of 3 or 4 miles ones. All doable in a day. Most people stay in the huts for a work for stay. If not there are plenty of stealth sites. The Glencliff Hostel has a list of them if you are going north.

I think at least for me, a comfy pad that will work as bottom insulation and ground cushioning would be best. I am finally used to sleeping with a quilt on the ground without getting drafts.

On a positive note, I am in Salisberry for the next hour or so and picked up my cold weather setup. There were a few nights in the 30's lately. Now I am good for whatever comes. I have a line on a waterfall I can hang at tonight if I get going soon.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Remember it is only 2174 miles and they made the trail way too short.
    That may be one of my favorite new quotes. Now, if I can just keep warm.

The Whites

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    Oh and don't listen to anyone when they mention the Whites as a reason not to hammock.
    Man, the Whites are causing me to hammock... especially since the whole range is mostly trees, rocks, and roots! Sleeping on those with a CCF pad...

HE, I'm enjoying your trail journals. Stay warm.

Images
    There are places where you are just not going to hammock. Not because you can't, but because you want to. The Huts in the whites and Cloud Pond Lookout a few weeks ago for me off the top of my head. There are also some really great cowboy camping opportunities if you are setup for it.
    HE I know you aren't probably going to see this but I was wondering if you make this comment from a 'social' POV or for a better view. I'm just wondering because if someone tends to be a loner, I would think they would hang away from shelters or other areas where people are camping. So if trees are pretty much available somewhere along the trail, AND you like to be alone, why would someone go to the ground (if they have a proper weather resistant hammock setup)?
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Judging from his journal, I suspect it's the social aspect. I think HE likes the company and at least one of his entries describes cowboy camping around a campfire near a pond; that does sound kind of nice. Of course, he woke-up cold and climbed into his hammock! LOL

blah

softie merlin 3, thermarest, and my gore tex bivy...
    Last edited by locorogue; 10-18-2007 at 12:28. Reason: addition

Images
    Thanks. My comments actually are both. I have only found 1 shelter that I couldn't hang next to. The RPH shelter in NY a couple nights ago. That one is an old cabin next to a road and some houses. I could have moved on, but it was a good spot. There is also the option to order pizza there, but no one came with a cell phone that worked. I could have found trees, but I think I would have ended up in someone's backyard.

It is also a nice option in the pouring rain to just walk in and stay in a shelter if there is only a couple other people there. At least as the AT is concerned. I still scream like a little girl though when the mice come out to play.

I think it is completly possible to hammock the whole AT. I guess I should add the disclaimer that I prefer the hammock, but are willing to look at other options. I'm just thinking that not carrying any pad completly limits for options. Even a torso pad would be better than none.

I will say though, there are some mountain top balds that are prefect for cowboy camping. I scored a leaky thermarest that someone left at a shelter I hope to get fixed soon, about the same weight as my ccp. I might have to give that a try.

It's been really dry this year. A lot of places the shelters are the only reliable water. Except for lower NY, for some reason they are only at seasonal springs.

That and I like to talk to someone at the end of the day. I am planning on taking a couple rest days soon though. Maybe someone not wanting to run the trail will catch up with me.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    i just last week covered my 1/8"ccf with ripstop front and back. sewed it to the pad. it feels alot better. now it doesn't stick to me or the hammock and is ALOT easier to adjust underneath me. very big improvement in my opinion. i also don't have to worry about tearing such a thin pad while trying to pull it this way or that

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    nice. I picked up 2 of the 20" wide Gossamer ThinLight pads on sale (2nd's), intending to make a 40" wide pad for my Bridge hammock, using duct-tape as a hinge. Riptop will be classier. What kind of glue did you use?

with the bridge I'll use the full width.

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I still scream like a little girl though when the mice come out to play.
    now that's funny... especially knowing that you're good size fellow<g>.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    OK, here is what I'm thinking about the original thought.

1/2 length UQ (synthetic) for the torso
    ccf pad folded under the legs/feet
    hammock sock with sil ends and 1.1 ripstop body
    No Sniveler topquilt

I figure I should be able to get to the low 20's with this set-up. I'm a pretty warm sleeper and if it gets too cold I'll unfold the pad and use it full length. The sock should help with the wind and fog and of course the No Sniveler I just want cause, well it's cool.

Just Jeff and Warbonnetguy are the ones that really convinced me about the 1/2 length UQ. I get to carry the synthetic (and not concern myself as much about wetness) without the weight or space penelty. The pad; fine I'll carry it and if it makes the 1/2 UQ work, then I'll deal with my internal shame.

Of course, no sleep system is complete without clothing (so they say ), but I'm going to hold off on that until just before departure. Just in case my belly gets any smaller.

Good ideas - bad ideas?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast