Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Room to Breathe

Hammock
    borrowed hammock!
    Insulation
    North Face 0* bag

Question Room to Breathe

Ok, even though I want to make my own hammock, I have stumbled into a basic hammock that will work. It has no bug net or tarp, though. I can forego the bugnet, but a tarp is obviously a must-have item. How large should a tarp be to provide 100% coverage from rain, and have enough area to cook under? I am considering having an asymmetrical tarp, where it heads down very steeply on one side, but leaves the other side much more open, like an awning on a porch if I used trekking poles or sticks. It would have to be short enough on that side though that I could pull it down to the ground for rain coverage and not have 'extra' tarp sitting on the ground. Let me know if there are existing ideas/plans/threads on this... my search results seem to be more clueless than I am. I look forward to hearing your responses!

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Can you draw us a picture of what you're talking about?
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    borrowed hammock!
    Insulation
    North Face 0* bag
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    Can you draw us a picture of what you're talking about?
    Unfortunately I don't have a scanner... I suppose I could try a paper --> camera phone --> e-mail --> forum? For now, I will try to describe it a little better:

Sort of typical A-frame tarp set-up. One short side would be set at a steep angle from ridgeline to ground, other long side would be at a less severe angle with the ridgeline (it would be more parallel to the ground).

I would always set up the tarp with the short side hung close to the hammock, but the long side could be literally parallel to the ground if I tied it out right, or I could just A-frame it down to the ground for good rain protection. I suppose I could add flap doors with velcro on both ends for a tent-like experience in the most terrible of weather.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Something like this?

WD (Cantaloupe) P5 (2)2.jpg

This is the Winter Dream (in custom color). The back side has the "wings" clipped up and acts as the short side. The front side is in "awning" mode.

Hammock
    borrowed hammock!
    Insulation
    North Face 0* bag
    Something like this?

This is the Winter Dream (in custom color). The back side has the "wings" clipped up and acts as the short side. The front side is in "awning" mode.
    haha yeah, something almost exactly like that. where did you find it? it seems like it has the best of both worlds for me- excellent protection on one side, and adjustable protection and open area on the other side. is this something that can be purchased, or are there plans or something?

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by catsnack View Post
    where did you find it? ..... is this something that can be purchased, or are there plans or something?
    The Winter Dream tarp is sold only through Backwoods Daydreamer Gear (see my tag line for link to website).

There is bad news however - I'm unable to take orders currently. Still working on getting up and running but it's not happening just yet.

If you're looking to build your own I do supply the same materials that BWDD tarps are made from and would also be glad to help you out with designs and techniques. Just shoot me an email or PM.

Hammock
    borrowed hammock!
    Insulation
    North Face 0* bag
    The Winter Dream tarp is sold only through Backwoods Daydreamer Gear (see my tag line for link to website).

There is bad news however - I'm unable to take orders currently. Still working on getting up and running but it's not happening just yet.

If you're looking to build your own I do supply the same materials that BWDD tarps are made from and would also be glad to help you out with designs and techniques. Just shoot me an email or PM.
    Wow, that does look like a killer tarp!! PM is soon to be on it's way.
    Last edited by TDFbound; 06-08-2010 at 12:50. Reason: nooby error

Hammock
    Speer Hammock IIIC
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    Speer SnugFit
    Suspension
    AHE whoopie slings
    Something like this?

sc,

That's a pretty tarp. How are you attaching the back doors that aren't deployed to each other? With my SWT on a calm evening I just let the doors hang, but your arrangement is far tidier.

fs

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FarStar View Post
    sc,

That's a pretty tarp. How are you attaching the back doors that aren't deployed to each other? With my SWT on a calm evening I just let the doors hang, but your arrangement is far tidier.

fs
    A small section of shock cord larks headed to one corner with a mitten hook to take up the opposite corner. Pulls them in nicely.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Catsnack, you have a keen mind... you reinvented what folks around here call "porch mode" for setting up a tarp. The tarp in SC's picture is set up that way, with one side up and one side down. The doors can be folded in as shown, or spread out to add to the 'roof'. When the weather moves in, you just lower the porch, close the doors and hunker down.

I love my Winter Dream, even in the summer. Good luck getting back up to speed, Scott!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast