Warbonnet BB, 1.1 single
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    MM's suggestions is a good one. You can always try a "Want To Buy" post here on hammock forums if you can't get one from Speer. Someone may want to sell their SPE. And many people have made their own.

According to Speer's website, they still have some and they are at closeout pricing.
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 06-11-2010 at 06:03.
    I intend to live forever, or die trying. -- Groucho Marx (1890 - 1977)

Hi gang...thanks for the compliments.

This was my first outing of the year, and I'm glad to see first hand what my relative boundaries were with my existing equipment. Like many other reformed ground dwellers out there, I have a bunch of investment already in tents and a closet full of thermarests, and wanted to see how that would work out. I had packed a tent anyway as backup, fortunately I didn't need it.

In fact, here's a picture of the bike over the mighty Columbia...

...and that's the REI Half Dome 2 sitting atop the right rear pannier. I didn't worry about it getting wet. The tarp, tent, sleeping pad, ground pad, and tree fixin's are in the right pannier. The left tank is carrying stove, food, camera gear, and misc. Clothes and thermarest are sitting atop the passenger seat behind me while I ride. What you don't see in this view is one of the fringe benefits of bike touring...a camp chair for parking in front of the fire at evening with good friends and a brew.

This particular chair is the REI Stowaway picked at the recent sale: nice and comfy, padded arms, and a bargain at $30 compared to a kermit chair.

One more photo to share...here's the bike preening in front of the Stonehenge memorial in Maryhill, which is next to the Columbia River.

If you're not familiar with the area, it's a life sized replica of the real Stonehenge in the UK, meant as a memorial to the area's soliders who died during WWI. At the time the replica was built, the real Stonehenge was thought to be a bad place site for human sacrifices to the pagan gods, Sam Hill thought that was just nuts, and wanted it to be a symbol of life. Only later did we understand that Stonehenge was really about time, space, and warp speed continiums, Sam Hill was gone by then. It's a powerful place with a sweeping view of the Columbia River, knowing that Lewis and Clark sailed past here, and you can see miles across the river into the rolling hills of Oregon. Recommended stop if you ever come to the area.