WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I got called in to work yesterday after posting my "delema". But after looking at my set up in the light of day and comparing all the GREAT advice above, this is what I think happened:

Yep, the shirt was touching the tarp. And, the wind was blowing the tarp, for some reason the wind was comming from the ENE, at my house 99% of the time it blows from the WSW, so I was rigged for that direction. The tarp on the windward side was SOAKED, the spectra cord the hammock hangs from (& it''s ridgeline) was slightly damp, but not (I feel) enough to account for the amount of water I had.
    AND: the CCF pad I had under my hammock above the underquilt is, well, waterproof, so the water didn't have anywhere to go.

The underquilt and sleeping bag were wetest on the windward side. Yes they were damp elsewhere, but SOAKED on the side against the tarp.

So, I think the wind was blowing the rain under, around (& thru?) my tarp. I don't think the rain was bypassing my drip lines, but I have no drip lines on the tarp, so perhaps some water was (additonally) getting under the tarp that way, I will be fixing that in a few minutes, going to use more pack towel material.

I still feel that having my hammock hanging for over 24 hrs with it raining much of the time was a contributing feature. Something I likely will not do on the trail, or at least not do very often, & if I do, it will be with me in the hammock & I should be able to fix any problems as they arrise.

Thanks for all the help, I would still be on the ground if not for you guys & gals!!!!

Doctari.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing & rings
    Images
    do you think the shirt was wicking water from the tarp to the hammock? that's what i had in mind.
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
    Good to know. Im getting ready to order some of the 1 inch stuff from Ed and cut the spectra on my HH. Im replacing it with the straps and descending rings setup. BTW, good to see you again Breeze. Havent heard you in awhile. BD
    You will really like the ease and additional options (bigger trees, wider distance between trees, etc.) that the straps/rings setup gives you.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    do you think the shirt was wicking water from the tarp to the hammock? that's what i had in mind.
    Yea, at least in part. I did get that, thanks, it never occured to me when I hung the shirt there you confirmed my theroy. Still no proof, not till (hopefully) next time it rains.

Drip lines on the tarp are in place, but no rain since then, so no testing.

When I went out AM today, the east side of the tarp was "flappy" so in my mind at least supports part of my theroy to that being part of my problem.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing & rings
    Images
    just a thought my friend... you may not want to leave that tarp out in the sun to many days. UV is rough stuff<g>.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I know. But that is where I sleep, can't bring myself to take it down every morning

I'm taking it down for the weekend. I guess I really should take it down during daylingt hrs, would hate to have to replace it so soon.

Doctari.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing &amp; rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    I know. But that is where I sleep, can't bring myself to take it down every morning

I'm taking it down for the weekend. I guess I really should take it down during daylingt hrs, would hate to have to replace it so soon.

Doctari.
    maybe you could use one of the cheaper tarps (from the hardware store) to leave over the hammock in the yard.
    or if you're wanting to test the storm-worthiness of your backpacking tarp, maybe you could just throw the cheap tarp over the good one in the morning to protect it from the sun.
    i'm sure you've already thought about that doc. i'm just thinking out loud... partly to share those thoughts w/ others that may be thinking about leaving a tarp up in the yard long term.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    maybe you could use one of the cheaper tarps (from the hardware store) to leave over the hammock in the yard.
    or if you're wanting to test the storm-worthiness of your backpacking tarp, maybe you could just throw the cheap tarp over the good one in the morning to protect it from the sun.
    i'm sure you've already thought about that doc. i'm just thinking out loud... partly to share those thoughts w/ others that may be thinking about leaving a tarp up in the yard long term.
    Please continue to think out loud. This was a "DUH!" or "DOH!" moment for me, as I do indeed have a blue tarp still in the package, yet it never occured to me. Sheesh!

Alot of what I have learned here & at white blaze, I already knew (so to speak), but never made the connection between knowing & putting in to practice In this case; my camo tarp goes with my hammock, so it must always go with my hammock. AND, I have 2 "spare" hammocks, I could put them out back to sleep in instead of using (& possibly wearing out) my backpacking hammock. See, I can be taught.

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Doctari.

Doctari
    Another thought: When water comes down the hanging lines, it is really insidious, and can move in surprising ways. What you described really sounds like that could be the culprit. The best way I have found to protect my polypro webbing lines would probably work with anything else: I use extra long snake skins and use them to cover the lines. They have drawstrings at the ends, so I just tie them up against the trees. Wrinkles in the skins act as drip points. This has worked for me better than drip lines in persistant downpours.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    Doctari
    Another thought: When water comes down the hanging lines, it is really insidious, and can move in surprising ways. What you described really sounds like that could be the culprit. The best way I have found to protect my polypro webbing lines would probably work with anything else: I use extra long snake skins and use them to cover the lines. They have drawstrings at the ends, so I just tie them up against the trees. Wrinkles in the skins act as drip points. This has worked for me better than drip lines in persistant downpours.
    I'm skeptical as to the effectiveness of snakeskins in protecting the supports. I've never had water IN my hammock, but after a good rain while still using the skins on my ULB, the supports were wet all the way to the end covers, where I had drip strings tied. This was with the snakeskins covering the entire length of Spectra between the hammock and the tree. I'm guessing that the water gathered on the tree huggers, then just ran down the Spectra inside the skins. I'm pretty sure I would've been soaked if not for the drip strings.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson