Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30
  1. #11
    send me a pm if you need more info

  2. #12
    Peter_pan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    virginia
    Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Posts
    2,697
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    two reasons to use trim. it can be used to cover up a raw edge. if you use bias tape, like rapt mentioned, it will be stretchy and not provide anything structural.

    if non biased trim is used, the traditional corner pull tabs (weak link in the tarp) can be left off the tarp entirely, and the trim can take the load. what this does, is distribute any force applied to the tarp (wind for instance) to the trim, which then can distribute it evenly among the several thousand stitches around the entire perimeter of the tarp (like a trampoline), rather than applying the same force to a few stitches at each corner. you have to incorperate cat cut sides to achieve this though, but such a tarp should be able to handle much higher forces, and as a plus, the tarp will be stretched much tighter than is possible with regular corner pull tabs.

    i think this is a new idea though. after i came up with the idea, i decided to search for other tarps with non traditional pull tabs. i found that the granite gear white lightning uses the same concept. the tarp i had at trail days and the granite gear white lightning are the only ones like this that i know of. the white lightning actually uses trim folded over the edge, i use 1/2" nylon grossgrain ribbon threaded through a rolled hem.

    WBG,

    Take another look at the stock Hennessy flys.... Believe it is also a continuous loop of tape with just excess formed into a loop at the corner.

    Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

    www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

  3. #13
    Senior Member lvleph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    RVA
    Posts
    717
    Images
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    no, if regular corner pull tabs are used, ALL force is distributed only to the stitches that connect the pull tab/pull tab patch to the sil. no actual force is distributed to the edge, trimmed or not.
    Yeah, it depends on the method of attaching the pull tabs. Of course, if your trim is the the pull tab a more even distribution of those forces would occur, compared to pull tabs sewn down the hem just a few inches. Excluding the trim as part of the pull tab, whether you have trim or not, in my opinion, does not effect greatly the distribution of forces along the edge of the tarp. Of course, I am not doing any scientific experiments, but my knowledge of physics tells me this is the case. If the difference in fabric makes some difference in the distribution, it will be to a very minimal extent.
    Last edited by lvleph; 09-22-2007 at 07:01.

  4. #14
    yeah, but there is no cat cut, so it doesn't work like it could. same thing with the eno flies. thats why you never see one of those flies set up taut. they flap around like a flag in the wind.

    in a perimeter loaded design, the cat curve is even more important in the tensioning of the tarp than with say a mac cat style tarp. with a mac cat style, the cat cut just removes excess loose fabric at the edges, the corner pull tabs stretch out the interior. the cat cut doesn't actually effect the tautness of the interior of the tarp like it can on a perimeter loaded design. in a perimeter loaded design, the webbing/trim in the curves wants to flatten out when pulled upon by the guylines. so it tries to, pulling the tarp with it and stretching out the sil in all directions like a trampoline in the process. the result is the tightest possible pitch and a tarp that distributes any force evenly among as many stitches as possible. such a tarp should hold up to alot heavier wind forces.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    WBG,

    Take another look at the stock Hennessy flys.... Believe it is also a continuous loop of tape with just excess formed into a loop at the corner.

    Pan
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 09-22-2007 at 09:53.

  5. #15
    yes, i agree with that, and i suppose if the stitches on a "regular" corner pull tab go all the way to the edge, the edge is somewhat loaded, but just not in the sense i was speaking of, which was taking all the load. and i also agree if the corner pull tabs are used on a regular pull tab setup, the trim just hides the fabric edge and does not distribute much force.

    sorry for the confusion...Brandon


    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    Yeah, it depends on the method of attaching the pull tabs. Of course, if your trim is the the pull tab a more even distribution of those forces would occur, compared to pull tabs sewn down the hem just a few inches. Excluding the trim as part of the pull tab, whether you have trim or not, in my opinion, does not effect greatly the distribution of forces along the edge of the tarp. Of course, I am not doing any scientific experiments, but my knowledge of physics tells me this is the case. If the difference in fabric makes some difference in the distribution, it will be to a very minimal extent.

  6. #16
    slowhike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing & rings
    Posts
    10,595
    Images
    319
    in your 1st drawing it shows the grosgrain to be inside the hem w/ only one line of stitching going down the center of the grosgrain. is that right?
    if so, what's the process for the hemmed edge?
    if you've already explained that, just point me to it.
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    in your 1st drawing it shows the grosgrain to be inside the hem w/ only one line of stitching going down the center of the grosgrain. is that right?
    if so, what's the process for the hemmed edge?
    if you've already explained that, just point me to it.
    i've done it a couple ways. the pic would be: single stitch the hem. then thread the gg through and stitch it in place. so the hem itself is double stitched with only one of those lines of stitches going through the gg to hold it in place.

    i have also stitched the gg to the raw edge, and then rolled and stitched the hem. not sure which is easier, but with the first method, you really have to have someone help you thread the gg through with no twists. (there is a half twist where each pull tab turns the corner though)

  8. #18
    slowhike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing & rings
    Posts
    10,595
    Images
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i've done it a couple ways. the pic would be: single stitch the hem. then thread the gg through and stitch it in place. so the hem itself is double stitched with only one of those lines of stitches going through the gg to hold it in place.

    i have also stitched the gg to the raw edge, and then rolled and stitched the hem. not sure which is easier, but with the first method, you really have to have someone help you thread the gg through with no twists. (there is a half twist where each pull tab turns the corner though)
    ok, i wondered if that may have been it (method #1), forming a channel in the hem, then threading the grosgrain through.
    no unnecessary stitching to weaken the fabric that way.
    for threading the grosgrain through w/o twisting, a long, flat, length of metal like an electrician's fish tape, used to run wire through conduit comes to mind.
    how did you do it?
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

  9. #19
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reinholds, PA
    Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Posts
    5,252
    Images
    196
    Brandon since I have already done my hems am I correct in thinking I am too late for your method?
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003


    http://dutchwaregear.com

    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)

    8th Annual Mt Rogers Winter Hang Spreadsheet

  10. #20
    a coat hanger and a fiancee'

    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    t comes to mind.
    how did you do it?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •