Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41
  1. #11
    dejoha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    GoLite Poncho Tarp
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Posts
    2,226
    Images
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by Mundele View Post
    How do you cinch it closed once you're in the hammock? Do you close it from the head end?
    One end is 90% cinched closed -- this is the foot end. I slip the hammock through this hole and then cinch the foot end 100%, as seen in the illustration.

    After I get in, I slip the open end of the bug net over me and reach up to the other end of the hammock and cinch it closed -- the cord lock and string for that end are now inside.

    it's really not all that difficult, but it takes some practice, I guess. I lay on my back and manipulate the cord lock and string reaching back behind my head.

    Like Sgt. Rock said, this simple design is lighter than if you add zippers, but there is a little lost in conveneience.

    Today, I don't use the 360 bug net much, and have opted, instead, to use the Equinox Mantis Sleep Net from AntiGravityGear. It's a much lighter, easier system (for me) and is a snap to get into/out of. I just clip the net to my tarp ridgeline.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    316
    Images
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by bhancock View Post
    Wow. The net is only 14$ now. I don't think you could buy the material and have it shipped for that. I'm picking one up next time I am at REI.
    The double one is only $2 more and it's bigger. Go for that one. Might be able to make 2 out of hte netting.

  3. #13
    dejoha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    GoLite Poncho Tarp
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Posts
    2,226
    Images
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by bhancock View Post
    Wow. The net is only 14$ now. I don't think you could buy the material and have it shipped for that. I'm picking one up next time I am at REI.
    Yes, that's what I thought when I saw it. True, the netting isn't great against no-see-ums (adding Permethrin helps), but I never used this net in such places, so I was fine.

    The DIY project was pretty simple, and if you have an REI close by, it can be a great deal.

  4. #14
    Old Gorge Rat Hawk-eye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Posts
    9,808
    Images
    3
    Just a heads up ... this Coghlan's netting is light weight, green and very fine ... I got some from ****'s Sporting Goods in Winston Salem last year ... very light weight and good for this kind of project. This link is for it from Amazon. I think my price at DSG was about 10 bucks last year.

    WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.


    "A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin


    Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream


    Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

  5. #15
    Poppabear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lexington Park, MD
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Posts
    2,642
    Very well done set of instructions. I will definitely have to save this thread for future reference.,

  6. #16
    Whoooo Buddy)))) Shug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Hammock
    DIY GreenBeanHammock
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Frankenquilt/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    14,488
    Images
    62
    Your art skills are stellar!!!!!
    Shug
    Whoooo Buddy)))) I Love Onions, Grits, Greens, Livermush, NC Style BBQ, Potted Meat, Anchovies, 'Naner Puddin", Peanut Butter Pie, Red Velvet Cake and Cocoa and Straaaaaawwwwberrrry Milk and Coffee Crisps....
    I Hope Heaven has a Bakery!!!!



    Shug's YouTube Videos

    Hammock How-To Videos ..... Essentials For Noobs

    Shug and Friends Jammin'

  7. #17
    Member Leifo5343's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Hammock
    TTTM KING (short trips) GTN7 (Long)
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    S. Sniv & Hud R.
    Suspension
    SLS with woopies
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Just a heads up ... this Coghlan's netting is light weight, green and very fine ... I got some from ****'s Sporting Goods in Winston Salem last year ... very light weight and good for this kind of project. This link is for it from Amazon. I think my price at DSG was about 10 bucks last year.
    I have the same one. Without it being modified it weighs 8 ounces.

    Just passin' along information...

    ~Leif
    "The nuclear generator of brain sludge is television." By Dave Barry

  8. #18
    Senior Member HCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Sil-Nylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie DIY
    Posts
    187
    Excellent drawing and details. I just made one out of $1.50 a yd no seeum mesh from wally world. I am 90% complete with my new hammock. I like the idea of this style of net, as I camp in no bug weather when it is cold on bow hunting trips, and I can just leave the net behind in these instances, instead of lugging the net around sewed to the hammock 24-7- 365 days a year. I need no seeum here in Iowa for warm weather camping; we have lots of tiny bugs.

  9. #19
    dejoha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    GoLite Poncho Tarp
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Posts
    2,226
    Images
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by HCH View Post
    Excellent drawing and details. I just made one out of $1.50 a yd no seeum mesh from wally world. I am 90% complete with my new hammock. I like the idea of this style of net, as I camp in no bug weather when it is cold on bow hunting trips, and I can just leave the net behind in these instances, instead of lugging the net around sewed to the hammock 24-7- 365 days a year. I need no seeum here in Iowa for warm weather camping; we have lots of tiny bugs.
    I like your current avatar -- do you have a larger version?

    I had the same idea about the bug net. I like that I can remove it and leave it home, and when I do have it, the 360 protection is nice.

  10. #20
    Senior Member HCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Sil-Nylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie DIY
    Posts
    187
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    I like your current avatar -- do you have a larger version?

    I had the same idea about the bug net. I like that I can remove it and leave it home, and when I do have it, the 360 protection is nice.
    Here is a big pic. A Go Lite Shangra-la 5 that I converted into a tight pitched Pyramid sil-nylon shelter with a wood burner. I bought the stove jack from Titanium goat, and built the 2.5 lb stove myself.








    Stove packed down for packing



    The SL-5 doesn't pitch tight from the factory, so I had to modify the tie downs and I added a few so I can have a warm shelter for cold weather bow hunting


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •