Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member Salty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Gastonia, NC
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl Coyote Brown
    Tarp
    Superfly, MacCat
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3UQ,Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps
    Posts
    356
    Images
    2

    Micro fiber poly sheet for summer TQ?

    Has anyone tried using a 100% polyester micro fiber sheet as a summer top quilt? I see they come in styles ranging from plush to silky. I would think a twin sheet would be super cheap and comfortable. Lows tonight here in NC are 72, and it will only get worse as the summer progresses.

    Salty

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Issaquah, WA
    Hammock
    Speer Hammock IIIC
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    Speer SnugFit
    Suspension
    AHE whoopie slings
    Posts
    125
    How much does such a sheet weigh? A few years ago I was thinking I could get by with using fleece blankets as quilts, but reality hit -- polyester fill and especially down are lighter.

    You might consider something that can serve more than one purpose. What about a surplus military poncho liner? They worked well in Nam and I understand it gets hot there. If it's too hot, stick your feet out from under it or just toss it aside.
    Last edited by FarStar; 06-16-2010 at 23:34.

  3. #3
    Seńor Member wisenber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Hammock
    Speer,DIY,GT
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Posts
    2,189
    Images
    11
    If it's warm enough, a bedsheet will work fine. Often folks don't even need a top cover. They're just used to having something pulled over top of them while sleeping. Cottom might work better in terms of breathing as long as you keep it dry.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    3,565
    Images
    57
    I used to lay on a fleece blanket when I used my hammock indoors. Enough with the AC running for me. Weight and bulk would be an issue. Might just want to hang the normal quilt a little lower to let air through.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

  5. #5
    Senior Member Salty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Gastonia, NC
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl Coyote Brown
    Tarp
    Superfly, MacCat
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3UQ,Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps
    Posts
    356
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    If it's warm enough, a bedsheet will work fine. Often folks don't even need a top cover. They're just used to having something pulled over top of them while sleeping. Cottom might work better in terms of breathing as long as you keep it dry.
    My fear with cotton is that one really humid night or sweating in it would leave it damp. I found a product in the latest Campmor catalog that looks interesting. It's a CoolMax fabric TravelSheet from Cocoon, weight 10.8 oz, on sale for $29.99. They also have it in silk at 6.3 oz, on sale for $39.98. Both are 86x35.

    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___45930

    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___45904

    Salty

  6. #6
    Senior Member Salty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Gastonia, NC
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl Coyote Brown
    Tarp
    Superfly, MacCat
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3UQ,Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps
    Posts
    356
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I used to lay on a fleece blanket when I used my hammock indoors. Enough with the AC running for me. Weight and bulk would be an issue. Might just want to hang the normal quilt a little lower to let air through.
    Coffee, I was thinking about something light as a top quilt instead of an underquilt. Thanks!

    Salty

  7. #7
    in it for the naps oldgringo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    onrope buckle
    Posts
    5,982
    Salty, I'm diggin' the idea, but those are pretty spendy little sheets. Surely there's something out there @ one of the discount chains for a fraction of the price.
    Dave

    http://www.uark.edu/misc/xtimber/rna/pattonsbluff.html

    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.
    John Steinbeck

  8. #8
    Frawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Dayton, OH area
    Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Posts
    1,709
    Images
    95
    I just found some interesting material in my Dad's garage -- a 3' x 50' roll of weed blocking fabric. Unfortunately the wrapping is gone and there's no label, but it's a synthetic black material with a very soft hand -- almost feels like flannel. Weighs about 1.3 oz/sq yd by my scale. 3' is a bit narrow for a sheet or UQ, but I'll give it a try tonight and see how it feels.
    - Frawg

    {generic tagline}

  9. #9
    Seńor Member wisenber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Hammock
    Speer,DIY,GT
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Posts
    2,189
    Images
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    My fear with cotton is that one really humid night or sweating in it would leave it damp. I found a product in the latest Campmor catalog that looks interesting. It's a CoolMax fabric TravelSheet from Cocoon, weight 10.8 oz, on sale for $29.99. They also have it in silk at 6.3 oz, on sale for $39.98. Both are 86x35.

    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___45930

    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___45904

    Salty
    You could just order some raw silk. It's not that expensive, and it will dry faster than cotton. Breathes better than cotton. I've got 11 yards that I'm still pondering on myself. I was actually thinking more of making a hammock ala ImRisk.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •