Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

adventure racing

a new member, "AKA" who just joined today was not able to post her question, so sent her message to me. i'll look into why she couldn't add her post, but here's her 1st question to the group...

"Hi Slowhike,

Tried to post this thread for feedback from all. My
    posting is not working. In less than 25 days I will be
    competing in the Jungle Marathon
    www.junglemarathon.com. 125miles thru the Amazon Rain Forest completely
    self sufficient for 6 days. I was told that past
    competitors used the Hennessy Ultra lite. Yet I also found
    that several of their Hennessy Hammocks ripped. It
    is required that I have the mosquito net,a rain fly and
    the hammock. Weight is a concern being that I have
    to carry everything including food, for six days, while
    racing. At this point price is not a variable. I am
    looking for light and comfort. I also need to be an
    expert hammock hanger by Oct 4th do you have
    suggestions? AKA"
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

If money is no object, I'd suggest buying two hammocks: one for learning, and one for racing.

To expand on that: in order to become an expert in a month, I'd want as much practice as possible. I would try to find a hammock locally (I know of at least one place that sells 'em locally, even here in central Ohio where backcountry is somewhat difficult to find) and get started hanging, tearing down, and hanging again, experimenting in different weather situations, etc.

Then you can spend some time doing more research (and you'll likely get some good feedback from folks here) about which one will best suit your needs. You might consider the Hennessy Adventure Racer, which is their lightest model and should have all the comfort, bug protection, and rainworthiness of the others; I think the only real difference is that it lacks the velcro to close the bottom slit. Haven't tried it myself, though; I'm just reading the comparison chart at Hennessy's site.

As far as durability goes, I think that the more expert you become, the better your hammock will survive. You'll learn about the right (and wrong) way to hang, how much stress your hammock can handle, etc. For that knowledge, there's no substitute for experience. So, get hanging.
    uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    also, if there were any way you could make your way to any of the camp outs mentioned in that section of the forums, there's nothing like hands on practice w/ others that have already worked through the learning curve.

there are some getting together in hot springs, NC for the south east hammock hangers association (SEHHA) sept 14-16
    see post #13 of this thread http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=1571

and the mid-atlantic hammock hangers association (MAHHA) http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=1338

and another in mid-Tenn http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=1690

of course those last two outings will be to late to help you w/ your adventure but there may be an experienced hanger near enough to you that they could meet up w/ you for a few hours of demonstration.

but even if that doesn't work out, you can work out your questions here & testing your own hammock in your back yard or a near by park.
    the more familiar you can get w/ your hammock through repetition, the better off you will be when your dead tired out there in the jungle
    Last edited by slowhike; 09-08-2007 at 15:15.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    For the lightest set-up out there, I'd also say get the Hennessy Adventure Racer. I would'nt be too concerned about it tearing/ripping in the 6 days your gonna use it. Just get in alot of practice hangs, treat it with care, and do your homework and you should be fine. Check this site out also for great hammock info. www.tothewoods.net
    I'm a huge fan of using webbing and cinch buckles to hang, but in your case, you might consider checking out this thread to upgrade your suspension system so you can avoid that pain in the @#$$% Hennessy lashing and have much quicker/easier/lighter adjustability.http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...light=figure+9
    It is still a work in progress though.
    Welcome to the site and good luck in your race.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 09-08-2007 at 15:45.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    So, who lives in NewYork & can help?

I second the "Buy a hammock for racing & one for practice. Then Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice till you are sick of it, then practice some more.

Get to the point that even after 36 hrs with no sleep, minimal food & miles & miles of racing, you can literally set your hammock up in your sleep.

For ease of set up I suggest a Hennesy as it has a ridge line therefore a set distance / sag. OR, add a ridge line to any other hammock. Also, you can make your own, check out our DIY forums here.

Have fun.

Doctari.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

The most I've done are 3 day adventure racing and as Doctari says, practice, practice, practice. Setting up is easy but when you are tired you need to have a system that is dead easy. I cannot think of any sleeping system that is even close enough for comfort during a race and you will benefit from a good sleep. I take it that you will be in a team and as such you need to train as a team in hanging, this will assist when hanging as you would check each others hang. When you are extreamly tired you will sleep easy so long as you are not cold, the lay of the hang doesn't have to be perfect. The only worry is that when you do hang, it is secure such that it doesn't fail to hold, again, your team should check each others hang. --- Hope I haven't put you off, hammocking is the way to go for a good sleep.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    AKA,

Medicine Man and I both use HHExtreme Light Racers (HHELR).... Almost as light as the HHAR, same bottom material.... mine has 60 nights without sign of wear.

Pitch away from any bushes.... USE it a few times before the race...it will strech and lower you into bush or ground contact, which is high risk for this UL material when weighted with your body.

No shoes in hammock.

No pants with zippers in the hammock.

No gear in Hammock.

If you are going to need bottom insulation, use a UL Under quilt, everything inside the hammock just increased the wear and tear risks.... If you go this way leave the UQ attached and find an old pair of Python skins or make a set, plans are on JRB Site.... alternatively you might use a Black Bishop style bag.... both support speedy set up and tear down.

Use a larger tarp if it is rainy season.... JRB 8x8 weighs only 2 oz more than stock and is great coverage with least pegging (2)....

If you decide to use the ring buckles suspension, modify and test before you go....Personally, I just use the stock set up and never take more than 90-120 seconds to hang the hammock.... Practice is the key.

More questions call.... Unless someone unknown to me(a lurker here?)There is no one on HF with more experiance with these models on the site.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images
    in the amazon! that sounds awesome. i have been wanting to do some treking in the jungle for a long time. maybe one day. do you have sponsers? or do you have to pay to do it? how much?

how tall/heavy are you?

what is the coldest it is supposed to be there?

the lightest hh shaves weight by shaving off length and width,but should be just as strong as the lightest full size model. so it depends on how big you are. for most people, size is important to comfort (especially width) unless you are like slowhike. i don't think the smaller lighter version weighs that much less, can't remember though

for bottom insulation, the most efficient and best warmth to weight ratio is definately a closed cell foam pad.

since weight is a factor, and night temps will likely be mild? i bet you could get away with using 1/8" thick closed cell foam (sometimes called landau foam) as a sleeping pad (available from upholstery shops). i've got a mummy shaped piece that is 60" long and only weighs 2.9 oz.(compared to 21 oz for my 20 deg big agnes air pad) 1/8" ccf will tear if you're not careful with it though, but if you are, it could last alot longer than 6 days.

if i were doing it, i would cut that 60" down to 40" (i'm 5'10") which would make it a 3/4 length pad, and i would use a jacket under my lower back on the coldest nights. pad thickness depends on temps though, and you won't sleep as well if you're cold.

But, if you leave it at 60" or so, you can double it up under your lower torso to create an double thick 3/4 length pad on cold nights or a single layer longer one on not so cold nights.

i would find out the nightime lows (don't forget to factor in # of nights @ higher elevation) then get some landau foam 1/8" thick and 1/4" thick and drive into the mountains or wherever. hopefully you can find a local place with similar temps this time of year. test out different thicknesses to see how thin you can get by with, then figure out how long and wide you want it. remember, hammockers usually like a wider pad (at the shoulders) than do ground sleepers.

as for your suspension, if you use line and tree straps, as most people using line do use straps (i think the lightest hh shaves weight by not issuing tree straps/huggers as well, which is another thing to remember when comparing the weights). if you do use straps, just about the fastest/easiest knot will be the double sheetbend finished with a bight. once you're good, you can tie it in a few seconds, and since it's finished with a bight, it unties with a single tug on the free end. (very nice when it's time to pack up in the morning)

if you save weight by tossing the straps, you will have to use longer lines (still lighter than straps and shorter line though). and you will have to figure out another knot besides the sheetbend.

we generally like to use webbing/straps/tree huggers around the tree, because it causes less wear on tree bark, and looks better to rangers/land management (who some places have decided to ban hammocking, but you will be in the jungle, so it's not likely that any particular tree will get over-used, and hanging even without straps will most likely not cause any long term damage at all, and you surely won't have to worry about rangers.

the best way (with straps or not) is to make sure the rope/strap cinches tight all the way around the tree (girth hitch/larkshead around the tree. with straps this is done by running the straps around the tree and then threading one loop through the other.) this will keep the ropes/webbing from sliding down the tree (which causes bark damage and causes you to have to get out and re-adjust)

in general, straps and line tied w/double sheetbend w/bight will probably be a little easier/heavier than no webbing at all and some other knot.

you can find illustrations of double sheetbend and many other knots on the internet.

Work in Progress

Hi,

I am a newbie, but a fast learner. I had to go to a camp store to have them explain some of the terminology the forum was using. I weigh at my heaviest 127will weigh 122 by day 3 of race. I'm 5"7. Looked at the specs I can use either the adventure racer weighs 15oz or the Hennessy Hyperlite 1lb 10oz.

The hyperlite has reinforced fabric sturdier but, made to handle up to 250 lbs and slightly heavier. The adventure racer up is made to handle up to 180 lbs for a person 5'10. Do you think I'm safe with the Adventure racer? They have set pole hanging areas, don't have to find a good location to hang hammock. I was told the advenuture racers rainfly requires no pegs.

Someone said, I might need an underpad but, the adventure racer hammock is small. They told me to buy the sun proofing mats for cars. In particular the bubble wrap with silver on one side. They said cut it down to size. Is a UL quilt similar and lighter. Do I need the Black bishop bag if I have the snake skins for set up? I dont want pack to weigh more than 20lbs. Willing to sacrafice something if I have to go for the heavier hammock.Thanks so much for your feedback. This is the race by the way www.junglemarathon.com

g=Peter_pan;27581]AKA,

Medicine Man and I both use HHExtreme Light Racers (HHELR).... Almost as light as the HHAR, same bottom material.... mine has 60 nights without sign of wear.

Pitch away from any bushes.... USE it a few times before the race...it will strech and lower you into bush or ground contact, which is high risk for this UL material when weighted with your body.

No shoes in hammock.

No gear in Hammock.

If you are going to need bottom insulation, use a UL Under quilt, everything inside the hammock just increased the wear and tear risks.... If you go this way leave the UQ attached and find an old pair of Python skins or make a set, plans are on JRB Site.... alternatively you might use a Black Bishop style bag.... both support speedy set up and tear down.

Use a larger tarp if it is rainy season.... JRB 8x8 weighs only 2 oz more than stock and is great coverage with least pegging (2)....

If you decide to use the ring buckles suspension, modify and test before you go....Personally, I just use the stock set up and never take more than 90-120 seconds to hang the hammock.... Practice is the key.

More questions call.... Unless someone unknown to me(a lurker here?)There is no one on HF with more experiance with these models on the site.

Pan[/QUOTE]

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Welcome A-K-A,

The adventure racer should work well for you. I have the Hyperlight and it is a nice hammock. Weight limit is 200lbs. Also might be worth getting the Hyperlight instead if you are planning on using it well after the race. Not a huge weight penalty but only you can decide that. The sun shades could work but are pretty much frowned upon around here. Too many better options. This company sells some really lightweight pads that would work well:http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/...ing/index.html
    If you have the snakeskins, the Blackbishop bag is not necessary. I've never used the Blackbishop bag though. Most underquilts will be heavier than most any CC pad but the trade off is more comfort. I sleep pretty comfortable with both. This underquilt would be a nice choice:www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/SUB.htm
    What are the estimated low temps you will encounter?

Quote Originally Posted by A-K-A View Post
    Hi,

I am a newbie, but a fast learner. I had to go to a camp store to have them explain some of the terminology the forum was using. I weigh at my heaviest 127will weigh 122 by day 3 of race. I'm 5"7. Looked at the specs I can use either the adventure racer weighs 15oz or the Hennessy Hyperlite 1lb 10oz.

The hyperlite has reinforced fabric sturdier but, made to handle up to 250 lbs and slightly heavier. The adventure racer up is made to handle up to 180 lbs for a person 5'10. Do you think I'm safe with the Adventure racer? They have set pole hanging areas, don't have to find a good location to hang hammock. I was told the advenuture racers rainfly requires no pegs.

Someone said, I might need an underpad but, the adventure racer hammock is small. They told me to buy the sun proofing mats for cars. In particular the bubble wrap with silver on one side. They said cut it down to size. Is a UL quilt similar and lighter. Do I need the Black bishop bag if I have the snake skins for set up? I dont want pack to weigh more than 20lbs. Willing to sacrafice something if I have to go for the heavier hammock.Thanks so much for your feedback. This is the race by the way www.junglemarathon.com

g=Peter_pan;27581]AKA,

No shoes in hammock.

No gear in Hammock.

Pan
    [/QUOTE]
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 09-13-2007 at 16:40.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast