Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: claustrophobia

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    se nc
    Posts
    17

    claustrophobia

    I hope that it's something that will just go away on its own. It's not severe enough that I'm ready to give up, but it's noticeable and uncomfortable.

    Being very much a newbie, I'm wondering how common my problem is. Also any tips for dealing with it.

    tnx in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member FanaticFringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lawrenceville, Ga
    Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Posts
    2,424
    Images
    34
    Sorry to hear that. What kind of hammock have you got? I could see where a Hennessy could give you more problems than a top loader.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    se nc
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Sorry to hear that. What kind of hammock have you got? I could see where a Hennessy could give you more problems than a top loader.
    It is a Hennesy, in fact. I love the hammock, but I would liked to have a choice of a little larger mesh bug net. I can barely tell that its breathing, and then only in a good breeze. I believe a fan is going to end up being required equipment.

  4. #4
    Senior Member TDunc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Hammock
    DIY - Depends on time of year.
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Posts
    253
    Images
    9
    Yes, for some it is a problem. I for one can not stand it when it is warm... If there is no breeze and I have the bug net zipped up, I tend to want the fresh air more than "no bugs" and unzipped it goes...
    I have not been to the point that it keeps me awake though. Just uncomfortable when it is hot.

    I do not have a fan but I think that the fan would make a world of difference. I am looking into one.

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    se nc
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by 4D's View Post
    Yes, for some it is a problem. I for one can not stand it when it is warm... If there is no breeze and I have the bug net zipped up, I tend to want the fresh air more than "no bugs" and unzipped it goes...
    I have not been to the point that it keeps me awake though. Just uncomfortable when it is hot.

    I do not have a fan but I think that the fan would make a world of difference. I am looking into one.
    You are describing the way that it affects me to a tee.

    If you run into a fan (not literally) that works, please share the knowledge. All of my research keeps ending up with Coleman, so far. Just don't know which model.

  6. #6
    Senior Member TDunc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Hammock
    DIY - Depends on time of year.
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Posts
    253
    Images
    9
    Fortunately for me, I have not been where the bugs were so bad that throwing open the bug net for a while has not made me happy...After it cools off some then I zip it back up and all is well.. mine is a top loader though. The fan may be your only saving grace.

  7. #7
    slowhike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing & rings
    Posts
    10,595
    Images
    319
    frog... i really enjoy the open feel of a top loader. unless the bugs are really bad, i don't even want a bug net.
    i've been fortunate so far in the places i hang, but i know that's just not always the case.
    a speer type hammock w/ velcro & a DIY bug net that's larger than the standard, allowing it to be pulled open by elastic cord would give you a large interior.

    and here's a thread on hammock fans...
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ht=hammock+fan
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

  8. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    se nc
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    frog... i really enjoy the open feel of a top loader. unless the bugs are really bad, i don't even want a bug net.
    i've been fortunate so far in the places i hang, but i know that's just not always the case.
    a speer type hammock w/ velcro & a DIY bug net that's larger than the standard, allowing it to be pulled open by elastic cord would give you a large interior.

    and here's a thread on hammock fans...
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ht=hammock+fan
    I'll sure keep your suggestion in mind, Slowhike. I ordered the HH based on what little research I did on the web. It makes for a good starting pont, anyway.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cloverdale, IN
    Posts
    69
    Frog,

    Just a word of encouragement. I too felt a bit claustrophobic in my HH when I first got it. Mostly due to having difficulty moving around and getting situated in it. After spending several nights in mine I began to learn how to move around better and felt more comfortable in the hammock. Now I don't get that clausrophobic near panic feeling anymore.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Elmira, NY
    Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Posts
    1,859
    Images
    10
    Frog
    I initially felt the same as you but it went away quite soon. Try sleeping without the tarp or with it pitched only on one side....being able to see more open air helps. I own a Claytor Jungle hammock with a side zip, which would allow you to leave the zipper partially open. Doing some "mental gymnastics" may be required. I've done a ton of sleeping in my hammock this past summer. I actually slept over twelve hours straight the other night while backpacking....a record sleep for me. On a side note....I can see where the Hennesy with a bottom entry and a sewn bug net might accentuate any claustrophobic tendencies you might have. I'd definitely try a side zip. Also with the Claytor the netting is well away from your face which helps.

    Good luck and don't give up....it's more than worth the effort, Miguel

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •