Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    That's why it's important to remember that not treating is also a risk factor. Everyone has to decide for themselves but doing nothing due to chemical concerns doesn't make you safe by default.
    Well spoken.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DIY Nylon
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    AHE webbing
    Would there be any advantage to just spraying the exterior of the hammock when treating if you were concerned with direct contact with the chemical?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl; Nano 7
    Tarp
    Flat 8x10
    Insulation
    Yeti; CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Yes, I use permethrin. I've been using it since the Army gave it to us to use in Iraq.

Hammock
    GT UL and Home Made
    Tarp
    Home Made sil
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ Homemade
    Suspension
    Home Made Woopies
    Go to tractor supply. You buy the perminthin there its a 32 oz bottle of concentrate. I cut mine down to a ratio of 1 to 20 parts. Much cheaper thean buying Sawyer.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bags4266 View Post
    Go to tractor supply. You buy the perminthin there its a 32 oz bottle of concentrate. I cut mine down to a ratio of 1 to 20 parts. Much cheaper thean buying Sawyer.
    I do that but one thing to consider is that this method seems to leave more of the petroleum distillates smell behind on the material than the Sawyer product does.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    That's why it's important to remember that not treating is also a risk factor. Everyone has to decide for themselves but doing nothing due to chemical concerns doesn't make you safe by default.
    WELL SAID ... and this comes from someone that rode out two intense weeks and about four walking dead weeks from Dengue Fever.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wabi View Post
    Would there be any advantage to just spraying the exterior of the hammock when treating if you were concerned with direct contact with the chemical?
    That and where the straps come into the hammock is all I have ever done, with excellent results. It has worked fine, but I guess spraying inside would help with any bugs managed to get inside with you.

Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Been waiting for payday to get a jug of that high-powered horse stuff at the farm supply store. Figured on , since its a hose-spray bottle, just load up a bunch in a 5-gal bucket and dip what I want to soak in there, and put a lid on what's left, for later. Good idea about the straps, I hadn't considered that. A stiff dose of dengue fever has left me with a major league paranoia about skeets that some folks just don't comprehend. Otherwise I swear by Repel Permanone on clothing. A coupla pants and shirts just might get the bucket job too, just because.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Carefull on the animal products. Read up on the MSDS sheets. As Knotty alluded to. Most of them have various petro products and what not in them. Just went thru this with everything at TSC. Only thing I found that didn't have something else listed in it in the MSDS was a goat and sheep spray.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Your mother, Nature. Treat her well.

PERMETHRIN
    The insecticide permethrin (in the synthetic pyrethroid family) is widely used on cotton, wheat, corn, alfalfa, and other crops. In addition, over 100 million applications are made annually in and around U.S. homes.
    Permethrin, like all synthetic pyrethroids, is a neurotoxin. Symptoms include tremors, incoordination, elevated body temperature, increased aggressive behavior, and disruption of learning. Laboratory tests suggest that permethrin is more acutely toxic to children than to adults.
    The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has classified permethrin as a carcinogen because it causes lung tumors in female mice and liver tumors in mice of both sexes. Permethrin inhibits the activity of the immune system in laboratory tests, and also binds to the receptors for a male sex hormone. It causes chromosome aberrations in human and hamster cells.
    Permethrin is toxic to honey bees and other beneficial insects, fish, aquatic insects, crayfish, and shrimp. For many species, concentrations of less than one part per billion are lethal. Permethrin causes deformities and other developmental problems in tadpoles, and reduces the number of oxygen-carrying cells in the blood of birds.
    Permethrin has been found in streams and rivers throughout the United States. It is also routinely found on produce, particularly spinach, tomatoes, celery, lettuce, and peaches.
    A wide variety of insects have developed resistance to permethrin. High levels of resistance have been documented in cockroaches, head lice, and tobacco budworm.
    COALITION FOR ALTERNATIVES TO PESTICIDES/NCAP
    P. O. B O X 1 3 9 3, E U G E N E, O R E G O N 9 7 4 4 0 / (5 4 1 )3 4 4 -5 0 4 4
    JOURNAL OF PESTICIDE REFORM/ SUMMER 1998 - VOL.18, NO. 214l

http://www.safe2use.com/poisons-pest...report/cox.htm

I love the woods. If I can’t walk the trail without POISONING all the biosphere I stay home.

Here is an alternative.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=17372&page=5

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast