Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Stop trying to scare people into submission. You're quoting Caroline Cox who is a fear-monger with a clear financial interest in convincing you and everyone else that pesticides are destroying the world. She pays her rent by scaring people. She's the editor of the Journal of Pesticide Reform and works for the Coalition for Alternatives to Pesticides.

To make matters worse, you took the worst of her fear-mongering and then skimmed off just the bits that interested you. Hopefully people will read the full document so they can find the gems of wisdom like "There are no publicly available studies of the carcinogenicity of permethrin-containing insecticide products." Why didn't you include that information when you quoted her?

Here's another great one from Caroline, "Permethrin-containing products can be irritating to both eyes and skin." Really? That's shocking. Will an aerosol product containing mineral spirits actually iritate my eyes? Will a non-aerosol product containing ethanol, dimethyl ether, and nitromethane cause skin irritation? That's amazing! I never would have guessed. Notice how she very carefully DOES NOT say that permethrin is to blame for the irritation of eyes and skin?

But wait, she's not done frightening you yet. She says (and you blindly quote), "The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has classified permethrin as a carcinogen". If you read the document, you'll find that Caroline says something different when she needs to be able to annotate the statement, "According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), permethrin is a possible human carcinogen". Saying that permethrin is a possible carcinogen and saying that it is a carcinogen are two completely different things. So which is the truth? Why can't she just be consistant and clear in what she says?

Maybe it's because the truth doesn't fit her prejudices and doesn't work so well as a terrorist tool. Let's see what the EPA really says about permethrin on page 3 of the red fact sheet.: * "the Agency classified permethrin as "Likely to be Carcinogenic to Humans" by the oral route." So what they're saying is, DON'T DRINK IT, DUMMY!

My buffalo wings are ready so I'm going to go have lunch now. No, I didn't put permethrin on the buffalo wings, but I will be eating them on my screen porch where the screens have all been treated with permethrin and the underside of the picnic table has been washed down with permethrin. I'll probably nap in my permethrin treated hammock afterwards. Later today when I'm trying to plant that philodendron my wife has fallen in love with, I'll be wearing socks, shorts, and a shirt all treated with permethrin. My exposed skin will not be smeared with DEET because that stuff dissolves plastic and that's just creepy. Instead, I'll be wearing 100% organic Badger Anti-Bug Balm because it's non-toxic just like permethrin and makes me smell fruity!

Boris
    Last edited by Boris Losdindawoods; 06-26-2010 at 10:40.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Its the dose that counts

I do not wish to turn this into a political discussion, but treating your clothing and hammock with permethrin is not going to poison nature. It will repell, and possibly kill, ticks, skeeters, biting flies, ants etc but there is a world of difference between the limited application of an insecticide to fabric and the tonnage applied to crops each year.

A possible carcinogen? Maybe so. But we do know that West Nile virus is a serious disease. Likewise Lyme disease and RMSF.

If one believes strongly in not using insecticides and pesticides (including repellants) then you are free to not use them. You are also free to lobby against their application wholesale to crops.

There are others (including me) that are willing to balance the potential risk against the real benefits. My application of permethrin to clothing and hammock will in no way aggravate or harm you. Go in peace.

Jim

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    Those of you making it up in the 5 gal containers, be mindful of how you dispose of the rest of the contents once you dip your articles. That runoff would be the more dangerous to 'wildlife' and the ecosystem. Down the drain is still putting it into the waterways. Not saying don't do it, in fact I probably will at some point myself. Just look for a way to get rid of what you don't actually use before you start the process. My .02.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Boris . Would you know how the Badger Balm work on chiggers. They have been bad on our property. Even in the gravel on our drive way. Need something to put on skin when wearing shorts.

So far, I've used Badger Anti-Bug Balm successfully when worried about mosquitoes, the noseeums/sand fleas/biting midges in south carolina, and chiggers in spanish moss. It works great as long as you remember to reapply it. Once you've varnished your body with most DEET products, you'll be a bug deathtrap for at least 3 or 4 hours maybe more. In my experience, I need to reapply the Badger Balm about every 45 minutes to an hour but you only need a little bit. Usually, I'll put one stripe down each arm, and one down the front and back of each leg, then do the back of my neck and side of my head (bald). I don't bother to try to cover the whole skin surface. I just put on enough to be able to smell the lemon. There have been several times when my wife didn't bother to use any at all because she was sitting right next to me and I had smeared some on.

Boris

BTW: if you have leftover permethrin and you don't want to store it, grab a paint brush and paint around all of your doors and windows. It's only going to last a few weeks but that's a few weeks of no teenaged girls screaming about bugs.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazeAway View Post
    I love garlic, but eating that quantity for the result quoted just doesn't cut it.

"The garlic capsules were found to reduce the risk of tick bites by 21%."
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    The worst infestation of ticks and chiggers I ever had was after doing the garlic thing. I ended up with around about 100 bites ( about 60% chiggers, 40% ticks). And I was only out for less than 25 min. So just remember that YMMV with garlic.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    My path: common sense and moderation. Prophylactic precautions commensurate with the actual threat...

Gringo the lab rat
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    My path: common sense and moderation. Prophylactic precautions commensurate with the actual threat...

Gringo the lab rat
    That reminds me .... Have ya had the third arm thing taken care of?

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    That reminds me .... Have ya had the third arm thing taken care of?
    You have no idea how handy that is.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast