Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Quote Originally Posted by dvisic View Post
    I'm pretty new to hammock camping myself, but I think the idea is that your combination of under quilt and top quilt replaces the sleeping bag altogether. The problem with sleeping bags is that the insulation that gets compressed between you and the hammock loses most of its insulating properties--thus becoming pretty pointless. The UQ, however, hangs outside of the hammock, thus maintaining ALL of its heaty goodness.

The UQ/TQ combo is essentially a sleeping bag split down the middle and minus all them pesky zippers n' stuff. So, weight-wise, it would be equivalent to a sleeping bag, but much more thermodynamically efficient.
    I must admit, you just blew my mind. I hadn't even dared to let the thought of camping without a sleeping bag cross my mind. But I'm completely new to hanging (just ordered a WBBB 1.0) and I really only know conventional camping.

Are there folks out there who hang w/o a sleeping bag, does that work for you? Do you compensate with a UQ and/or TQ when it gets chilly?

Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings

Grab a cup of coffee and...

Check out this list for ideas on TQ's http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/f...splay.php?f=87

and this list for UQ's http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/f...splay.php?f=88

Also check out the home/index page for lots of discussion http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/?

...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 SL
    Tarp
    DIY MacCat Clone
    Insulation
    NF Hotlum 15* Bag
    Suspension
    Straps/CinchBuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by mak52580 View Post
    It seems that they are trying to recapture that brand recognition through their First Ascent brand and their recent sponsorship of other Everest expeditions in the last year or so.
    I've actually got a First Ascent shell that I really like...it's got primaloft insulation and a good DWR polyesterish material to face the elements. Pricey, but it's kept me plenty warm to 20* and snowfall temps.

Anyways, where do I look to get me one of Mac's IX quilts? I've done a lot of reading about IX and I'm thinking about a purchase.

Thanks,
    chicky

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lifebeyondwalls View Post
    I must admit, you just blew my mind. I hadn't even dared to let the thought of camping without a sleeping bag cross my mind. But I'm completely new to hanging (just ordered a WBBB 1.0) and I really only know conventional camping.

Are there folks out there who hang w/o a sleeping bag, does that work for you? Do you compensate with a UQ and/or TQ when it gets chilly?
    People usually use either a TQ/UQ or TQ/pad in place of the sleeping bag, rather than just going without insulation.

This might help explain hammock insulation:
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingWarm.html
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    TX250, NX200, WBBB
    Tarp
    WBSF, Edge, Vertex
    Insulation
    Incu-Burrow!
    Suspension
    Camo w/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I use a DIY UQ I made from the KAQ pattern on HF. I used 1/2" thinsulate insulation that works even when compressed so I can use it as an UQ or a pad. I can even use it on the ground when there are no trees. I've been using it as my UQ on my HH, but just ordered a double layer WBBB and plan to try the UQ as a pad between the layers. Since it's crushable it will work there too. I have a lot of flexibility with it.
    I use mummy style sleeping bags as TQs. That shape gives me the footbox needed. I'm going to try cutting one down some this fall to save some room and bulk.
    My YouTube channel: Tool Dude Tony
    "No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinDee View Post
    Hi everyone. I am new to hammock camping and am wondering which is the better option, pad or under quilt? I already have a thermorest but its pretty bulky and is tricky maneuvering it around in the hammock. The underquilts just look a lot easier to deal with, but man are they expensive (at least the ones I have checked out). are they really worth that price tag?
    Well UQs sure are nice for sure! A pad is way cheaper and more bombproof and multi-use. That said, I mostly use some form of UQ (Pea Pods, HHSS, JRB MW4, MacEntyre IX, WB torso Climashield with leg pad- yes it's true My name is Bill and I have a sickness).

If you can get hold of a Speer SPE (or make one), it sure makes a pad a whole lot easier to use in a gathered end hammock. Really, a whole lot. And it is only `4 oz added to your single layer hammock weight. Plus you can use the thinnest CCF pad for the conditions, or stack pads for any virtually temperature, with a thinner full length pad under the legs, as thick as you want under your torso.( it appears folks don't need near as much under their legs as the torso)

Remember, you don't need a thick inflatable in a hammock ( though some like it) because you don't need cushioning, but only insulation.

Or, if you ever decide to try a JRB Bridge hammock, they are the absolute cat's meow for use with a pad. An SPE or double layer GE hammock both make pad use easier, no doubt. But if you must ( or just want to) use a pad, IMHO there is no hammock that comes close to matching the JRB bridge style for slick and easy pad use. YMMV.

Only once have I used a bag in my hammock...and that was as a top quilt. Otherwise, I've never used a bag or a quilt in the hammock while on the trail (I've done backyard tests of quilts a couple times...).

From May through October, my home area in the arid Northern Rockies features warm to hot days, cool to below-freezing nights, and low humidity. So I have to carry cold weather clothing but I virtually have never worn it while hiking down the trail. I do; however, use the insulated jacket and pants as the main part of my sleep system. In combination with a 3/8" thick, 7oz Oware pad, I'm comfortable into the low 20's. At that point the pad isn't up to the job but if I added my sit pad (piece of blue foam) I think I could extend my comfort range into the pre-teens.

As always, I can't stress enough the 'individualness' of a sleep system and the importance of the climate and weather.

FB

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)

I use a top quilt all the time, on the ground, in the hammock, sometimes open it out and use it on the bed...

Just put on a hat and snuggle up in the quilt. Right on top of the NeoAir. Even more comfy in the hammock. I've been out in November in the hammock with a 20F quilt under me, a 20F quilt over me, set up a poncho on the underquilt to keep out the chill breeze, slept all night (expedition weight base layer only, used the down jacket under my head as a pillow) and woke to ice on the lake. I know it was COLD cause it was just to the point of not warm but not yet to cold in the quilts.

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Due to the expense of a good down UQ, I started out with CCF pads for insulation. They work fine and I have ccomfortably hung in the mid / high teens with pads and a 15* sleeping bag (open used as a top quilt). Having an SPE certainly made pads more manageble in the hammock but they are bulky to pack and carry...

Last winter I had a chance to buy a down UQ made by Hangnout's daughter Leigh - it is the bomb! Much warmer, more compact, easy to hang / no adjustment or fiddling after the first use. Bottom line for me - pads work fine but a down UQ is better. YMMV

Hammock
    HH
    Insulation
    down
    A lot of great information here. I am a brand spanking newby and very glad I bought the HH hammock on a whim through eBay.

I own maybe 10-15 Big Agnes sleeping bags from from 40 degree Horse thief to 0 degree Pomer Hoit, storm king , Fish something, etc. I have spent a lot of time trying to come up with the lightest warmest setup.MY current choice is an appropriate temp. rated St Agnes bag and then stick the horse thief inside the primary bag and lay on the Horse thief in case I need it. And since the Big Agnes bags are over rated temperature wise and my metabolism plummets around 3 AM I generally get in the horse thief inside the other Bid Agnes bag..

For insulation I generality have a very cheap USGI Green CCF mat primarily as protection for my bag on the ground. Inside the bag pad pocket I pocket I use an aluminized Thermarest (19.5 oz that I might replace with two layer of reflect auto window material with the inside of this sandwich being an insultex (sp.) laayer or two depending upon weight. Then I use BOTH both a Klymit inertial Xfram (9.1 oz) AND a Kltmit Inertia X lite recon (6.9 oz). They all fit in the St Agnes bag pocket and are very comfortable
    Since I just got my HH from eBay and have not yet built the stands, I have not used this setup hanging. I did use this set up on a plain Nylon(??) cot in my back yard when the wind chill was around 10 above zero about a month ago. Only thing that got cold was my nose. I really do like the DIY under-quilt designs but I can not sew a straight line and think that even if I have to supplement my current set up with a 2/3 or 1/2 length insulated self inflating pad, I still should weigh in at less that the weight of a total setup with an under quilt. Time will tell if I can learn the Benny Hill shuffle. I do like the idea of partial pad wings AND have been meaning to install an improved or supplemental draft collar where the St Agnes insulation meets the pads. When I use the St Agnes self inflating insulated pad I do not notice any draft.

Glad to have found you guys hopefully I will try my first hang this weekend.

Best regards
    Paul
    Dallas Texas

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234