Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    twowheels:

I hate you --- You put me on a mission to find that gadget! Yes, "padeye" or "pad eye" - just google that and you will find dozens of sources AND all sorts of related info; like: load testing! Design, etc.

Now... If it was me (I am cheap - No! FRUGAL!) I would find a marine supply junk yard and re-cycle one. In the early 1980's I lived in Marina Del Ray (are you close to that in CA?) and they had a number of places to buy stuff new or used around there and in the ship yards around San Pedro & Long Beach Harbor.
    Happy Trails,
    J.D.

I never drink water. I'm afraid it will become habit-forming.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I've used similar items in the construction trailers we used to work out of. Search "tie-downs" or "trailer tie-downs".
    Ace hardware had a four pack for like 15 bucks, should work.?
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post
    twowheels:

I hate you --- You put me on a mission to find that gadget! Yes, "padeye" or "pad eye" - just google that and you will find dozens of sources AND all sorts of related info; like: load testing! Design, etc.

Now... If it was me (I am cheap - No! FRUGAL!) I would find a marine supply junk yard and re-cycle one. In the early 1980's I lived in Marina Del Ray (are you close to that in CA?) and they had a number of places to buy stuff new or used around there and in the ship yards around San Pedro & Long Beach Harbor.
    I realized that the linked gadget was a padeye like we've been taking about, but this one had a nicer clip than the ones that I bought at REI and I liked the nylon bushing to quiet the interface between metal parts.

That said, actually, I don't live there, but I did find a boat recycler very near my work, but I'm anxious to tie this up (he he), so I'll gladly buy new if it's faster...

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I'd steer clear of that Amazonas product. It looks nice, but the screw holes are off to the side of center. There is no way that this will work in typical dimensional lumber construction. I would guess just from looking at it that if you centered the padeye on the joist all four screws would be off of the wood. Twoholes, fore and aft, would work better. Shame, though. It's a decent price compared to what you are likely to find at a marine store.
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Images
    Off center is exactly what I'd need though because I'm trying to screw into two side-by-side studs, so I want the holes to be spaced ~1.5"... on center wouldn't work as I'd either have to screw into a single stud or the screw would go right between the studs!

So, I called five local marine stores (I never knew we had so many!!), no luck. I then went to a boat dismantler/recycler and dug through parts for almost an hour. I found ONE padeye on a plate, but it was far too small. I'll either have to order online, OR... I have another idea:

What if I were to use a hitch ring, like this:

http://www.hardwarestore.com/pop-pri...x?prodNo=79903

... and since the rings are not usually welded, remove the ring with a cutoff wheel and replace it with a pin shackle with the clevis pin through the holes in the mounting plate from the hitch ring, leaving the curved side of the shackle hanging down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Moused_shackle.gif

The hitch rings that I've found (they're easy to find) don't list a safe WLL, but I can't imagine that it's less than 400-500 lbs each... Even small shackles list a safe WLL of at least 750 lbs.

I would then have a nice smooth surface to hook my carabiner to when attaching the hammock.

Does this sound reasonable?

Images
    I suck at using Gimp (Open Source Program like Photoshop), but here's an attempt to better illustrate what I meant:

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Images
    Thanks for the link, but I really want to take advantage of the full strength of the doubled up studs. Having four holes spaced at 1.5" puts two screws in the center of each stud. I'm partially stuck on this idea because the load isn't directly out from the wall, so four screws would help with the rotational force as well.

EDIT: Oh, and I saw some of these at Lowes and Home Depot, but passed them by for the aforementioned reason...
    Last edited by twowheels; 06-24-2010 at 18:46.

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    What are the chances you could suspend the hammock from the ceiling?

Pedro - I think you posted some pics a while back and you used the ceiling joists - right?
    Happy Trails,
    J.D.

I never drink water. I'm afraid it will become habit-forming.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12