Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Noob ridgeline question.

    I have an ENO double nest with the bug net...Kelty Noah 12X12 tarp....BlueWater 1'' Climb-Spec Tubular Webbing as suspension...11 feet for each end if needed. That is it. I will use it for 3 or 4 night stays at campsites for fishing trips. I am car camping so weight is not an issue with me..just want to be comfortable and dry. Other than hanging the bug net what is the ridgeline used for? I have read that some use one and some don't..that it is personal preference. That it can be used for hanging gear from and also have read where it is an integral line for hanging fly. While I am not new to camping I am a lot older and the gear is far better. Since this is the right place to ask about the suspension does anyone have an opinion about the straps I am using? They do stretch but have a 1500 pound rating.

    Regards

  2. #2
    Whoooo Buddy)))) Shug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Hammock
    DIY GreenBeanHammock
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Frankenquilt/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    14,486
    Images
    62
    Check out this article for ridgeline info .....http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock4.html
    I don't know about the suspension your using ... give it a go. You'll know if it is not good.
    Shug
    Whoooo Buddy)))) I Love Onions, Grits, Greens, Livermush, NC Style BBQ, Potted Meat, Anchovies, 'Naner Puddin", Peanut Butter Pie, Red Velvet Cake and Cocoa and Straaaaaawwwwberrrry Milk and Coffee Crisps....
    I Hope Heaven has a Bakery!!!!



    Shug's YouTube Videos

    Hammock How-To Videos ..... Essentials For Noobs

    Shug and Friends Jammin'

  3. #3
    Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Posts
    5,349
    Images
    57
    A structural ridgeline provides a consistent sag of the hammock. The sag of a hammock can change depending on how far apart the trees are or how high up the tree you set the straps. More or less sag is allows you to lay more or less asymmetrically i.e. flatter with less pressure from the sides of the hammock. With the ridgeline set your preferred amount of sag will be more consistent regardless of the distance of the trees or how high or low you straps end up on ther tree.
    Last edited by Bubba; 06-27-2010 at 23:56.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Check out this article for ridgeline info .....http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock4.html
    I don't know about the suspension your using ... give it a go. You'll know if it is not good.
    Shug
    Thanks.. I had found that write up and read it. The more I read about hammocks I am finding that there are a lot of different ways to accomplish the same result. Your videos....which I am still vewing....have given me some good tips already...ie: pullouts....Figure 9's. Nice job.

    Regards

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by odds View Post
    A structural ridgeline provides a consistent sag of the hammock. The sag of a hammock can change depending on how far apart the trees are or how high up the tree you set the straps. More or less sag is allows you to lay more or less asymmetrically i.e. flatter with less pressure from the sides of the hammock. With the ridgeline set your preferred amount of sag will be more consistent regardless of the distance of the trees or how high or low you straps end up on ther tree.
    Ok...this is a big problem I am having and had no idea what was causing it. When in the hammock I feel as if I am being crushed from the sides in the shoulder area. It is very uncomfortable. I am assuming I want less sag to lay flatter.

    Regards

  6. #6
    Whoooo Buddy)))) Shug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Hammock
    DIY GreenBeanHammock
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Frankenquilt/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    14,486
    Images
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
    Thanks.. I had found that write up and read it. The more I read about hammocks I am finding that there are a lot of different ways to accomplish the same result. Your videos....which I am still vewing....have given me some good tips already...ie: pullouts....Figure 9's. Nice job.

    Regards
    Thankee .... hope they help.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
    Ok...this is a big problem I am having and had no idea what was causing it. When in the hammock I feel as if I am being crushed from the sides in the shoulder area. It is very uncomfortable. I am assuming I want less sag to lay flatter.

    Regards
    I use more sag ..... a great deal to get flatter and have mo' shoulder room.
    ridgeline is very easy to do and un-do until you start to find your sweetspot.
    I'll admit ... it is a very personal thing. Everyone seems to like a wee bit of a different sagginess.
    Whoooo Buddy)))) I Love Onions, Grits, Greens, Livermush, NC Style BBQ, Potted Meat, Anchovies, 'Naner Puddin", Peanut Butter Pie, Red Velvet Cake and Cocoa and Straaaaaawwwwberrrry Milk and Coffee Crisps....
    I Hope Heaven has a Bakery!!!!



    Shug's YouTube Videos

    Hammock How-To Videos ..... Essentials For Noobs

    Shug and Friends Jammin'

  7. #7
    gargoyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Middleville, Mi
    Hammock
    G-Bird II
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    AHE TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoop dutch!
    Posts
    6,091
    Images
    46
    There two different kinds of ridgeline..One for your tarp, and one for your hammock. Two seperate critters.

    Try a length of paracord or go hi tech and whoopie sling some zing it for your hammock. Attach the cord to the head and foot ends of your hammock where the suspension hooks in. Tighten it up a little at a time (1-2 inches) and give it a test lay.

    More sag will relax the hammock, the ridgeline will carry the load from head to foot.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

  8. #8
    Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Posts
    5,349
    Images
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
    Ok...this is a big problem I am having and had no idea what was causing it. When in the hammock I feel as if I am being crushed from the sides in the shoulder area. It is very uncomfortable. I am assuming I want less sag to lay flatter.

    Regards
    As Shug said, you maybe need more sag and then lay a little diagonal to the ridgeline. IIRC a good starting point is the ridgeline should be around 80% of the length of your hammock and then adjust to your preference.

  9. #9
    Wolverine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Novi, MI
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    OES Ultra
    Insulation
    Under Ground Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    248

    Next Progression of Eno Mods

    I've completed a couple of mods to by ENO DBN. I've added a structural Ridge Line that is about 91". When I'm at about 10 Deg offset, I'm super comfortable. I think I've found the sweet spot!. I'm still working on the suspension, waiting on an order for a couple of Whoopie Slings.

    Next thing on my list is getting some protection from flying critters. I"m not crazy about the ENO bug netting, anyone have any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate your comments. Here are some things to consider.

    1. Have added aluminum "O" rings to each end.
    2. Have added a Structural Ridge Line that is about 91" from ring to ring.
    3. As you might guess, this Ridge Line is more than a couple of feet from the bottom of the hammock, good amount of sag.
    4. As I've stated this is the ENO Double Nest.
    5. I'm about 5'8" and 175 give or take a few Lb's.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •