DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Glad to see you doing the DIY hammock thing. Have to agree with the others about the side tieouts. In case you haven't seen it, here's a link to my DIY instructions. Hope you find it helpful.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15205
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY DigiCamo Hennessy Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Hex tarp
    Insulation
    Modded CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware1967 View Post
    consider moving your side tie outs...move one to a point 4' from the "bottom end" of the hammock, and the other 4' from the "top end". Most of us prefer a diagonal lay, moving your tie out will help a great deal....and will get them out of the way of exit/entry. You might also consider cutting the size of your tie out flaps by 2/3 ( 8" at the 'top', 4" at the bottom, and only about 6-8" long). Or even smaller...a 4" equilateral triangle, with a single grommet.
    Cool, I think that's likely a pretty good idea. Like what Ramblin said they do look like they will be in the way. I'm making step by steps I can print out. I also have been considering changing the side tie out to be a triangle with a single gromment like you are suggesting. The person wanting me to do them for him and his wife seemed pretty set on the larger trapezoids with pockets though. The other folks will get a hammock with Hennessy type tie outs, and pockets sewn into the hammock body.

I have plenty of material, so I may just make mine first and tack the tie outs on somehow to let them check out different configurations, then pick what they like best and remove them. My backpacking hammock isn't going to have side tie outs. It'll be single layer silicone coated Ripstop and a minimalistic tarp to cover the deal, similar to my current DIY, but with better materials, my current DIY is lord knows what type of fabric as it was $1.50 WW fabric I got before I started finding ripstop in certain stores.

I still plan to make me a nice cushy double layer (ripstop under layer, fleece inner layer) car camper similar to my plans though. Seems like the big trapezoid tie outs would leave great visibility. I love visibility.
    Last edited by wirerat123; 07-06-2010 at 14:01.
    Fulfillment is living a life that makes the lives of others worth living.
    DIY is addicting and fulfilling!
    "If guns kill people, then pencils mispell words, cars cause people to drink and drive, and spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat."

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL & GT Single & nano-7
    Tarp
    Poly Camo 8x10
    Insulation
    KAQLostRiver & Pad
    Suspension
    OEM&WhoopieSlings
    Check with your buddy, and find out WHY he wants the larger tieouts. He may be intending to use them as a shelf, or planning to add a pocket, or may have even seen a pic of one of the many hammocks that comes with an attached stuff sack, and may just be assuming that it was a tieout... at least then you'll have a better idea of why he wants them so large, and can plan, or dissuade him accordingly.

Hammock
    DIY DigiCamo Hennessy Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Hex tarp
    Insulation
    Modded CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware1967 View Post
    Check with your buddy, and find out WHY he wants the larger tieouts. He may be intending to use them as a shelf, or planning to add a pocket, or may have even seen a pic of one of the many hammocks that comes with an attached stuff sack, and may just be assuming that it was a tieout... at least then you'll have a better idea of why he wants them so large, and can plan, or dissuade him accordingly.
    I'm going to get my new hammock made soon, take some clips and attach both bigger trapezoids, smaller triangles, and plain tie outs in various configurations and allow each person I am making one for choose their prefered configuration.

Those big trapezoid tie outs might be just the ticket for excellent visibility and taking away and clostrophobic feeling one may have, or could just be cumbersome overkill. They could be the difference between someone going hanging or lying on lumpy ground. We'll find out. I can always modify the stuff if after a while they change their mind as well.

Trial and error for each individual is likely best. Just build to suit the person.
    Fulfillment is living a life that makes the lives of others worth living.
    DIY is addicting and fulfilling!
    "If guns kill people, then pencils mispell words, cars cause people to drink and drive, and spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat."