WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR

My DIY 12.5'x10' Brown Tarp w/ DIY Sil

I just got back yesterday from my first trip using my first DIY tarp.

I sewed a 12'6"x 10' SWT style tarp out of untreated brown ripstop nylon that I found for 25% off at the local fabric store. I made cat curves (parabolic curves for the technically inclined among us) on the long edges and left the short edges straight so they'd close off better. I also added tieouts 18" up from the edge on one side, hoping I could use them as ridgeline tieouts if I wanted to overlap tarps. Then using what I'd learned from warbonnetguy's "Make your own sil" thread, I waterproofed the whole thing.

For the waterproofing I used 1 tube of silicone and added enough mineral spirits of fill a 60 oz. juice bottle. I threw in a small handful of nuts/washers, and shook it up until it looked uniform throughout, and shook it a little more for good measure. I began by trying to just pour a little onto a sponge to apply the the tarp, but immediately realized I'd need a bucket to dip the sponge into. I worked quickly to sponge the mixture onto the tarp trying to get it a soaked as I could without running out. I applied the silicone to both sides of the fabric, then used a rubber squeegee to remove the excess. I left the tarp to dry and cure from Mon. night until Thurs. night before doing a garden hose test. It passed the hose test and since it was starting to rain I left the tarp up. I had some paper under the ridge and panel pull outs to check for drips.

All in all the tarp worked out great. There was fog all weekend and steady rain all of one evening and night. So I'm confident that it's waterproof. I did have one small pinhole leak on one of the panel tie-outs that I didn't catch in my testing, but I can fix that and it was a very insignificant leak. I used too large a needle for this job, which I'm sure didn't help anything, so I'll remedy that next time.

We packed up my OES 12x10 just in case my DIY catastrophically failed. It was good to have because we were able to baker hut the tarp to keep fire wood dry or sit under to escape the weather.

I'm glad I know now that I can make my own sil. I might purchase sil though depending on price and color preference. It's pretty awesome to have a tarp that pretty closely matches my coyote WBBB though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by miisterwright; 07-06-2010 at 22:38. Reason: Deleted repeat pictures
    ~Bryan

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR

More pics

Here are a few more photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~Bryan

Hammock
    10.5' DIY
    Tarp
    11x13 DIY Sil
    Insulation
    IX UQ, Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Dutch/Whoopie
    Images
    looks spacious! Nice tarp. Glad to hear your DIY sil went well I chickened out and just bought silnylon. haha.

Hammock
    Treehugger (Eno clone), and HHULB
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    webbing
    I love it! Good work!

Crazy Hammock Lady

Hammock
    DIY DigiCamo Hennessy Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Hex tarp
    Insulation
    Modded CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Gives me the confidence to try this myself and make my own tarps rather than buying the expensive silnylon.

I'll just have to go clear out all of the ripstop I can find in my local Wally Worlds.
    Fulfillment is living a life that makes the lives of others worth living.
    DIY is addicting and fulfilling!
    "If guns kill people, then pencils mispell words, cars cause people to drink and drive, and spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat."

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    DIY SilNylon
    Quote Originally Posted by wirerat123 View Post
    Gives me the confidence to try this myself and make my own tarps rather than buying the expensive silnylon.

I'll just have to go clear out all of the ripstop I can find in my local Wally Worlds.

rumor has it wally world is no longer carrying fabric... and not to burst your bubble, but I got sil for $4/yd (that's the price it came out to after shipping/tax) from noahlamport.com ... just have to call your order in.

Nice job on the diy sil -- just made a tarp of my own with the same design... very cool!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by g0bez View Post
    rumor has it wally world is no longer carrying fabric... and not to burst your bubble, but I got sil for $4/yd (that's the price it came out to after shipping/tax) from noahlamport.com ... just have to call your order in.

Nice job on the diy sil -- just made a tarp of my own with the same design... very cool!
    I was under the impression that with noahlamport you had to buy in bulk or be commercial or something. Is that not the case?? I could sure use some more fabric.
    ~Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by miisterwright View Post
    I was under the impression that with noahlamport you had to buy in bulk or be commercial or something. Is that not the case?? I could sure use some more fabric.

I emailed them last week about rip-stop nylon color choices. They said it was a 10 yard minimum.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    I could probably handle 10 yards. I'll have to email them.
    ~Bryan

Hammock
    DIY DigiCamo Hennessy Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Hex tarp
    Insulation
    Modded CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by g0bez View Post

All but one of the Wal Marts in my area still have the fabric dept.

All but two of those has some ripstop in stock. I need to get on that before it all dissapears.
    Fulfillment is living a life that makes the lives of others worth living.
    DIY is addicting and fulfilling!
    "If guns kill people, then pencils mispell words, cars cause people to drink and drive, and spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast