Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 131
  1. #11
    Member Big E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Goshen, KY
    Posts
    71
    Smee,

    Any thoughts about making a heavier duty version for those of us <ahem> calorically challenged . . .?

  2. #12
    Senior Member headchange4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kentucky
    Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Posts
    6,267
    Images
    35
    Glad to see that the BMB hammock is it's final stages. I can't wait to test one out.

    Any word on the 8x8 tarp tent?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett



    Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

  3. #13
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    ADK's
    Posts
    36
    Smee...doesn't look like the Exped will fit in the pad pocket...can you confirm this? If not can the Exped be tossed into the hammock itself?

    That's a nice looking hammock. What is the recommended rain fly/tarp?
    Last edited by ken999; 10-01-2007 at 11:13.

  4. #14
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,628
    Images
    564

    DIY underbody

    Quote Originally Posted by ken999 View Post
    Smee...doesn't look like the Exped will fit in the pad pocket...can you confirm this?

    If that proves to be the case, it looks to me like the kind of DIY underbody that Scott and I have built for our DIY versions of a bridge hammock would be simple to make and easy to attach to the BMBH, and would support anything else you wanted to put in it, e.g., a poncho liner (which I've been using as an underquilt). Has the added attraction of providing additional coverage beyond the BMBH built-in pocket, coming up higher on the sides. Of course when JRB release their next weather shield, that will serve to do the same thing.

    I've been trying to visualize a bugnet without ridgeline for my next DIY bridge. Now all I have to do is look at the JRB pictures.

    Jacks - congratulations on the BMBH launch, and best wishes for brisk sales.

    Grizz

  5. #15
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    ADK's
    Posts
    36
    mebbe I'll get lucky and Jack's will build them w/ some sorta stretchy material to accomodate various pad thicknesses...DIY sewing isn't really my forte'...lol...

  6. #16
    Senior Member FanaticFringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lawrenceville, Ga
    Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Posts
    2,424
    Images
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by ken999 View Post
    mebbe I'll get lucky and Jack's will build them w/ some sorta stretchy material to accomodate various pad thicknesses...DIY sewing isn't really my forte'...lol...
    I see no reason a Speer SPE wouldn't work on top of the hammock or you could cut 2 inches off of each wing and you'd have a 26" wide pad.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

  7. #17
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    ADK's
    Posts
    36
    FF- I'd like to work around the Exped if possible as it is intended to pull doubleduty with some of my other shelters.

    Namely these...

    http://www.kifaru.net/tipi8man.htm

    http://www.kifaru.net/supertarp.htm

    As I see it now, the Hammock will likey be a 3 season rig, leaving the cooler stuff for the tipi's and stoves. I'll take another look at the Speer though...thanks.

  8. #18
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,628
    Images
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by ken999 View Post
    FF- I'd like to work around the Exped if possible as it is intended to pull doubleduty with some of my other shelters.

    Namely these...

    http://www.kifaru.net/tipi8man.htm

    http://www.kifaru.net/supertarp.htm

    As I see it now, the Hammock will likey be a 3 season rig, leaving the cooler stuff for the tipi's and stoves. I'll take another look at the Speer though...thanks.
    This is a 26" wide Exped Downmat?

    I have one of these on the way (found a great price, am a gear junkie and sucker for great prices). I was looking towards trying it both inside and outside my DIY bridge hammock. It is is similar enough to the JRB product for me to know that you have pretty tall walls in there, so the 3.5" height of the mattress inside shouldn't be an issue.

    If I remember once it shows up and I have hammock yard time again, I'll pop it in and shoot a couple of pictures.

    Grizz

  9. #19
    Senior Member FanaticFringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lawrenceville, Ga
    Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Posts
    2,424
    Images
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    This is a 26" wide Exped Downmat?

    I have one of these on the way (found a great price, am a gear junkie and sucker for great prices). I was looking towards trying it both inside and outside my DIY bridge hammock. It is is similar enough to the JRB product for me to know that you have pretty tall walls in there, so the 3.5" height of the mattress inside shouldn't be an issue.

    If I remember once it shows up and I have hammock yard time again, I'll pop it in and shoot a couple of pictures.

    Grizz
    www.steapandcheap.com had some short Exped downmats for sale the other day for under $50. I was slow in pulling the trigger.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

  10. #20
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    ADK's
    Posts
    36
    FF- That's some great pricing...

    Grizz- I spoke with Jack one the phone. He was a bit reserved on adding the height of a pad to the inside of his hammock as it would decrease stability with the taller C of G. I'd be interested to hear how you fare by adding one to your version though...and pictures are always good!

    The BMBH sounds like a winner in terms of comfort for me. In the few times I've been in a hammock, I've noticed some of the quirks w/ asym that the BMBH will be adressing. I'm certainly interested.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •