WBBB
    Tarp
    WB bigmamajama
    Insulation
    walmart blue
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing

week AT hike GA

I am thinking about doing my week trip on AT this fall. I have done weekends before but never a week. I am thinking about starting at springer. I have never done GA before. My experience on AT is around Mt rogers area. What would be the best time to plan with GA. I can go ahead and plan my days off around it. I would like for it to be cool enough for no mosquitoes. Also never doing a week trip before I am kind of concerned with how much food to pack and is my rei flash 65 a big enough bag? Thanks in advance. I just want to plan right so this is an enjoyable trip.

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    how many miles? are you thinking of doing? you cand resupply after 30 miles at Neels gap. I would also maybe check out whiteblaze.net for other possible drop points but if you are doing a 7 day hike you could probably do it with one drop
    Show of Life Media Youtube Channel

The Carolinas Backpackpacker Chronicles

I'm drawn to the open country. Its where the world makes the most sense. When I put myself out there I always return with something new.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB bigmamajama
    Insulation
    walmart blue
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    I imagine around 7-8 a day. I have never been there, but I guess depends on how rough the terrain.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbrad73 View Post
    I am thinking about doing my week trip on AT this fall. I have done weekends before but never a week. I am thinking about starting at springer. I have never done GA before. My experience on AT is around Mt rogers area. What would be the best time to plan with GA. I can go ahead and plan my days off around it. I would like for it to be cool enough for no mosquitoes. Also never doing a week trip before I am kind of concerned with how much food to pack and is my rei flash 65 a big enough bag? Thanks in advance. I just want to plan right so this is an enjoyable trip.
    I imagine around 7-8 a day. I have never been there, but I guess depends on how rough the terrain.
    You have some choices in where you start and end this hike. For a north bound hike the starting choices are Springer Mountain or Amicalola Falls State Park. Amicalola has a 8.5 mile approach trail that connects to Springer from the south. That trail has about 3 good climbs and if you can make those you should be okay for the rest of the Georgia AT... if you can't you can turn around and go back to Amicalola and civilization.

If you start at Springer (which is in the middle of the no where) and you get dropped off there, you have about 8 or 9 miles of easy trail before you find out what backpacking in the mountains is about. If you find you can't handle the mountains from there it isn't that bad to abort because a gravel/dirt road (FSR42) that gets some use is near bye and you cross it quite often but it can seem like you are stuck in the middle of no where and can't get out.

As far as where to end the hike... if you are experienced and are planning on continuing a section hike northward towards the Smokies in the future, then Deep Gap in NC is a good place for that. It is about 80 trail miles from Springer to the Deep Gap trailhead and then another 80 trail miles to the Smokies. If that is not your plan, then that is not a good choice as the shuttle back to Springer or Amicalola is a pia and not worth it. Using Springer as a 0 mile ref. point, you have paved road crossings at 20, 30, 35, 50, and 65 trail miles north in Georgia. You can take your pick on those. I think it another 30 miles past that to the 1st paved road crossing in NC.

And like was mentioned, at the 30 mile mark you not only pass a paved road, but a paved road that has an outfitter with resupplies, a hostel, showers, laundry, and usually a ride($) back & forth to the town of Blairsville where you can eat at resturants and grocery shop, etc... it's a nice break which most folks take advantage of.

People hike that most any time of the year. Winters are tricky and you need to pay attention to the weather forecast and be experienced to do that. Summers can be brutally hot... or not. The shoulder seasons can be mild, brutally hot, or freezing cold... it varies from year to year and day to day. I think the time of year that most often catches people by surprise is spring, when the thru hikers are stating out. If we get hot weather before leaf out it is brutally hot and you can get fried because there is no shade until leaf out. I've hiked with an umbrella just for shade when it was particularly bad and gave away my sunscreen (when I was finishing up) to both novice thru hikers and old experenced thru hikers who knew better but just forgot to pack some. You won't need sun screen after mid to late April but even in winter you might for exposed skin like face or ears if the sun is an issue with you. I use lip balm a lot in the winter because of wind.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Depending on how many miles your thinking of doing in 7 days will determine how far you hike. Also you're saying you've never done more than a weekend before. Maybe give yourself some leaway on your miles, for that "just in case" situation. One idea you might consider is to park your vehical (I'm guessing you're driving there, right???) and get a ride/shuttle to your ending point and hike back to your vehical. A safe place to park is at Amacolola (yea, I can't spell ) Falls and shuttle to Neels Gap. Then walk SOBO back to the Falls. The Falls are also MUCH easier to do going down than walking up!!! (at least I thought so!!) Or have your shuttle drop you off on the north side of Neels Gap to make your hike about 50 - 60 miles. That way when you get to Neels Gap, you've only been hiking for about a day or so and you can then look at your plans and redo them if necessary. For me, I can pack and carry 7 days of food. My meals are either freezer bag cooking types or instant. Like oatmeal or power bars or something mixed with hot water. Pack one extra dinner meal incase you're hungrier than planned or you take longer hiking than planned (you know, the what if situations). Be very mindful of bears in this section, I heard Blood Mt. has just now been reopened to camping. Make your plans but be prepared for "plan B"! Keep us posted here.

TinaLouise

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    Jarrard Gap to Neels Gap just opened up to overnight caming at the end of June, but still the is need to be very careful to hang smellies properly or use a bear canister. I will be doing Springer to Neels Gap with ny brother 7/31 - 8/2 so keep a look out for trip report shortly after. Maybe that will help you out some.
    Show of Life Media Youtube Channel

The Carolinas Backpackpacker Chronicles

I'm drawn to the open country. Its where the world makes the most sense. When I put myself out there I always return with something new.

• + New Posts