Hammock
    DIY 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Big MambaJamba
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/GL Ultra
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Superior Hiking Trail (and why my wife doesn't like you)

My wife and I took a quick trip up to the SHT from 7/8 to 7/10. It was our second trip using our new hammock rigs. The weather was great for the entire time, other than a quick sprinkle on the last morning and the unbearable humidity.

We started in Tettegouche state park and hiked in to the east pallisade creek campsite. We were using warbonnet travellers with the warbonnet bugnet and we each had a big mambajamba. It was pretty muggy and buggy, so we left the tarps off. I think our problem was that our diy underquilts were a little too warm (7.5 oz of down each) for the conditions. So, even after opening up the ends of the UQs we both sweated the night away. The joy of being covered in DEET and sweat and then climbing into, as my wife called them, a small black tomb of bug netting. Needless to say we didn't sleep too much. We still had fun despite the cool urine colored creek water. So far it appears that the steripen did it's job. I'll let you know for sure in a few days!

In an effort to increase the enjoyment factor we hiked out and drove up to cascade river state park with hopes of cooling down in the river. We hiked in to one of the SHT camp sites on the west side of the river and shared the campsite with a thru-hiker. Once again the nice breeze that was blowing all evening stopped at sundown and we sweated away another night. My wife had me cracking up at 2:30 am. As she tossed and turned the profanity was flowing like a truck driver. At one point she said "You and all your hammock forum buddies can go rot! I'm burning this hammock when we get home!" In the past we've always backpacked with either a tarp or a pyramid tarp, so the hammock felt way too confining to her and she couldnt get comfortable. She swears she will never sleep in a hammock again.

On a good note this was my second trip with my ULA conduit and I couldn't have been happier. It carries like a dream. The only downside is that the TQ, UQ, Hammock w/net and tarp take up a lot of volume in the pack. My pack was stuffed and I only had 2 1/2 days of food. Other than that, it's a light but tough pack that I think will be my first choice for 3-seasons.

Now my only problem is deciding what to do with my wife's hammock rig. Keep it to loan to friends or sell and get some cash back on the investment?

Here are some pictures from the trip.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Why can't I control the faces I make when I play my banjo?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Wow, you paint a vivid picture. Too bad about the heat.

Did you consider removing the quilts entirely, if it was that warm?
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    In humid weather I usually remove the insulation untill I need it. doesn't really get humid here in Nor*Cal. Sorry you didn't sleep well, it's one of the main things I look forward to when I plan a hike. I would sleep in my BB at home if my wife didn't want to sleep together.....
    Those who expect disappointment are never disappointed.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Wink

The tea looks mighty good.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    I bet if you'd dropped the UQ's like AS suggested you'd have been fine ... and give her a trip when it's cooler ...

Good luck with that. Got'cha a Ginger huh? They can be a bit strong willed ... ain't that right Shug?

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    Nice report, pics and rigs.
    Thanks
    Tom

Hammock
    DIY 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Big MambaJamba
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/GL Ultra
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Removing the UQs is a good idea, but it was still cool enough at night that we needed something. A much lighter weight UQ would have prob been perfect. I'm eyeing those IX UQs.

The Tea water tasted great. We've been aqua mirra users until this trip, but now I'm sold on the steripen. No chlorine taste like the AM. I would have had a hard time if that water had a little flavor to go with the color.
    Why can't I control the faces I make when I play my banjo?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Very interesting trip report. I especially like your wife's 2:30 am tirade "You and all your hammock forum buddies can go rot! I'm burning this hammock when we get home!". If I didn't know better I would bet money that it was my wife saying that. By the way I like the picture of the butterfly.
    Terry

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Don't make that her last time. If you have a wife that will go with you, make it a point to get her back out when the weather is cooler. There's just a good feeling snuggling under a warm quilt on a cool night. Once the temp is right, she'll really appreciate the comfort.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    exped scout combi
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    polarpod
    Have her send it to me. I'll burn it for her ( maybe/maybe not/ probably not)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast